1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Open Shop or Develop Online

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Scant, Sep 3, 2008.

Scant

Scant Applicant

Hi,
    I currently run a reasonably succesful online business but have been thinking of now opening a shop to compliment it. I know most businesses start the other way round.
    Does anyone have a view as to whether it's a good move bearing in mind the extensive costs of running a shop or should I direct more money into website development?
    Any success stories in doing this?

Cheers

wood1e

wood1e Freshman

Depends on how much money you have. What sort of deal you can get on premises, what footfall that will generate...then obviously local competition etc etc

Compare that to cost of developing further online marketing strategies/SEO/SEO and what footfall that will generate

Oh and along with footfall for both ideas what is the conversion rate. As it is profit that you want at the end of the day.

One other thing about a shop...you (tired feet) or someone (overhead) would have to man it whilst open...

Upgrading/expanding your website would be less stressful on your feet :)

Scant

Scant Applicant

Thanks guys for your comments. Yes there is a lot to think about. Less stressful to stick "as is" but probably missing those customers who want to touch and feel the goods.

trogette

trogette Freshman

I'm pretty sure that a lot of my online customers would come to a bricks-and-mortar shop from quite a long way away if the transport links were good enough. Staffing it would be the major issue for me, do I bring in partners to invest in it and share the opening hours? Do I limit the opening hours to what will fit round my family? Do I employ staff, upping the financial cost and potentially the stress?

Would really love to have somewhere where people could try things out though.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

Does the 'build it and they will come' saying still hold true?

DesignsOnline.co.uk

DesignsOnline.co.uk Graduate

You need to be careful with the current financial climate.
    I see too many businesses pour money in to opening a physical premesis and then closing down again a few months down the line.

Have you considered instead opening a second online shopping website.
    You will likely get a much quicker profit and if you market it properly and build it properly so that it auto optimises each category and each product , you should end up with a sperate search engine entry (a page in the search engines) for each product.

I would imagine that you would find this compliments your current strategy better, and opens you to a much larger market.

If you want any specific advice on ecommerce feel free to call us: 0800 634 92 92

Scant

Scant Applicant

Again, thanks for all your comments and advice.
    Deciding on the future is never easy.

Aabas

Aabas Applicant

If you have an e-commerce store, or are starting one up like i am, do you have to set aside some funds to pay income tax come tax season?

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

Is that in the UK or the US?