1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

New Website - The Cue Store

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by The Cue Store, Dec 11, 2012.

The Cue Store

The Cue Store Junior Lab Tech

What do people think of the new website for The Cue Store?

The Cue Store

Any feedback or suggestions on how to improve the site is welcome.

pete.mcal

pete.mcal Trainee Lab Tech Premium Member

Hey, not a bad start! For your homepage there is quite a bit of white space under your main text body though.

I would try and remedy this by having a main image above your introductory text to fill the space better.

call-answer.co.uk

call-answer.co.uk Applicant

Evening,

Had a quick look at your site. The navigation is good and products easy to find. I agree with too much while on the home page and thing it would benefit from some more graphics/eye catching offers etc as there is a lot if text on first glance.

Hope this helps

Richard

The Cue Store

Thanks for the replies.

I've just activated the banner above the main text on the homepage, and it moves the main text is moved down so covers the white area.

How does it look now?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
    FutureNetMedia

FutureNetMedia Freshman

Hi,

One thing that strikes me on your website is that text on your home page. Would you say it to the customer you would enter your real store? I don't think so. To many 'we' and not enough 'you'. I believe that text like this should be on about us page and not on your homepage. Here the space should be used to sell! And sell benefits to the customer and not praise yourselves ;)

Also categories on the left are almost the same as the top menu - why have both? I would just stick with the top menu and remove the one on the left side as it's (almost) duplicate content.

There's a best-sellers widget which is empty... I would either fill it with something or remove it.

What I would also do is to move best-seller and featured widgets to the top left sidebar. This is where the visitor looks first.

More details - add blog link to the footer, and maybe make the widget title a hyperlink too.

I'm not quite sold on the way you present your products.. It's way too green for me :) I would add some more white space in between the products and make the border thinner - but now I'm being picky :)

In my opinion you should also remove the text 'There are no products to list in this category.' from the pages where it's not relevant - like the snooker coaching or recovering services.

Also the website tells me that "You must login or create an account to save Peradon Lazer - One Piece Snooker Cue to your wish list!" but at the same time it shows "Wish List (2)" in the top menu - should it?

That's all for a first quick look - hope it's helpful. And just to add - all of the above is just my opinion :)

Best of luck,
    Barbara

The Cue Store

Barbara, have a look now. Is that any better?

fabrics

fabrics Applicant

The Cue Store

I'll try and find a OpenCart extension to clean up the URL's.

Did have SEO on the original version of the site and it made no difference to the site/sales.

FutureNetMedia

FutureNetMedia Freshman

In terms of removing the left menu and using the created space for featured category? Much better :) (at least in my opinion)

I like to look at websites and go through every element, graphic, text and ask myself - does it add value to the customer? Is it really needed? If the answers are 'no' - remove it. Every element (to me) should have a specific purpose and if it doesn't - why is it taking up the space? ;)

SetupaCompany

SetupaCompany Trainee Lab Tech

I agree with some of the other comments - it has potential but it really doesnt look much like a store at the moment.

'Welcome to....' is always the worst possible way to start any webpage. In the title you have to tell people why they should spend a few minutes of their life reading what you have to say otherwise they will leave without a second glance.

To be quite blunt though - I personally don't give a monkey what you have to say. If I'm visiting your shop then I want to see products, offers, categories etc.

The text you have on your homepage should still be available somewhere for those who want that re-assurance of who you are but most people first and formost will want to browse your products and only once they have seen something they like will they start thinking about who you are and why they should order from you.

The Cue Store

I've made some changes over the last few days after the feedback.

How does it look now?

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

It took me a while to load it, however I like it. It has very clear and user-friendly navigation.

FutureNetMedia

FutureNetMedia Freshman

There's still room for improvement but your home page looks much better now! :)

The Cue Store

Just opened it up and it didn't take that long to load.

FutureNetMedia, what else needs changing?

ROiBOT

ROiBOT Graduate

Now I don't know what it would like with, but what about colouring the 'price ball; with a random colour from the selection of snooker ball colours.

You already have a little bit of javascript uncovering when you hover, so coding selecting a different background image isn't going to be too hard.

The Cue Store

I'm not sure either, but I don't know how to change the JavaScript.

The Cue Store

I've been told on another forum that my website makes me look like a dropshipper is this true?

INDIZINE

INDIZINE Junior Lab Tech

Now that's not quite what I said now is it?

Here is what I said:

The downside to using an off the shelf template is that it can make you look like a dropshipper. Absolutely anyone can chuck up an open cart site within minutes and add product details, open a paypal account within minutes and voila. You need to differentiate yourself if you are to take a chunk of the cue market.

The Cue Store

I'm going to be looking at making The Cue Store a LTD in the New Year and set up a merchant account with either Secure Trading or PayPoint to make the site look more professional.

What changes would you make to the current site?

INDIZINE

INDIZINE Junior Lab Tech

I'd only go Ltd when you know that's the way forward so discuss with an accountant to be sure. There are more costs and commitments involved with a Ltd Co than being a sole trader. It won't bring more sales being Ltd.