1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!
Color
Background color
Background image
Border Color
Font Type
Font Size
  1. One of my earliest memories from this time of year is the January sales. With the state of the world economy, the whole retail thing seems to swing between a state of permanent rip off and permanent sale status.

Anyways, for reader under the age of about 25, the world would work like this at this time of year.

Up to Christmas, prices would be jacked up as high as possible.

Then, as soon as the Christmas period was over - the January sales would start.

And by sale, I mean HUGE slashing discounts. I recall scenes of hysteria in central London stores shown on TV news programs. People pushing each other out of the way to get a handbag or some jeans from a specific manufacturer.

A sort of 20th Century version of an apple, Microsoft or google launch.
    So what about our January sale?

We have picked out a series of products that we think fit the January Sale bill exactly.

Over the next few days, we will be unveiling stunning discounts and never to be repeated offers. One blog post a day.

These products will be discontinued and some of them WILL NEVER be available again. They will be defunct, finished, desupported and removed from our inventory.
    So what is first up in our January sale?

First up in our January sale is our "Marketing Basics" training course.
    If you are a start up or new business, then the marketing basics is for you. Assuming you know nothing about marketing, this online training will walk you through working out what EXACTLY you sell and WHO you want to sell it to. Dealing with the pitfalls of each and helping you to work out the best plan of action to PROPEL YOUR business upwards in 2012.

So to get this SUPERB training (which will NOT be available again) for just £5 - jump over to the marketing basics site.

Create marketing materials that REALLY work
  2. With High School now well in full swing for our youngest son - the "F" word cropped up the other day.
    "Dad when can I be on facebook" he asked.

Reasons given were twofold

"There are lots of cool games on there" and
    "All my friends are on there"

I am not sure he knows EXACTLY what he is going to do on there. Facebook doesn't have the monopoly on cool games online and I would prefer to wait till he is more than 11 before he spills out his entire personal details online for everyone to see forever. (You see "terms of service" don't really mean much when "all your mates are on")

His impending presence led me to think about facebook because having your Dad as a facebook friend isn't going to be seen as very cool. In fact, having your Dad anywhere near you when you are 11 isn't very cool.

So I will be trying to make a tactical withdrawal from facebook over the medium term.

Anyways, as far as the young chap is concerned, I have the following plan of action.

He doesn't actually use his real name - Only a combination of his first and middle names.
    His photo is bogus
    I personally set his privacy settings (which are likely to be high)
    (Probably breaching facebook terms of service) NO personally identifiable information will be available on his profile.
    I know his password
    His account will be closed (by me) for any breaches of the above.

Not sure if I have missed anything but if anyone has any experience of siblings on facebook, I would appreciate a comment.

Maybe this is overkill - but his learning curve at the moment should be taking the right PE kit to school on the right day, making sure his geography homework is done and has he told his mum that he needs some raw materials for food studies rather than Mafia wars and farm whatsits.

This short blog post as originally featured on head of training the blog of Jonathan Senior of Sharp End Training
  3. What to blog about is a question that crops up quite often - most new business owners use wordpress (because it is free). But wordpress is a blogging engine and they don't know WHAT to BLOG about.

I read a lot (and I mean a lot of blogs). For someone who has a first wordpress indexed post in 2005, I feel I can talk with some confidence about what to blog about.

Firstly, take a step back and think - before you even write.
    What is the purpose of the blog. Is it engagement, is it to get signups to your newsletter or list, is it to show your expertise in a topic.

Once you have this - you can start to construct a plan. (Yes I know thinking and planning are boring but jumping right in is never a good thing).

Once you start writing a blogging plan, bear in mind, one thing the blogging gurus continually bang on about is your "authentic voice." Writing in corporate speak isn't for me - I had enough of it in a previous life. So you will find my writing peppered with questions, brackets and generally broken up.

(This has the added benefit of making it easy to skim read).

<strong>How does all this help you with what to blog about?</strong>
    As an aside, many people seem to make the mistake of confusing blogging with selling. If a blog post is a veiled sales piece (or even an unveiled one) - it leaves the reader very little scope for doing anything meaningful.

For a sales blog post, all you will ever get comment wise is
    1. Great blog post (Difficult to distinguish these from spam comments - reap what you sow and all that).
    2. People complaining they have used your product or service and it was lousy.

Neither very good if you blog goal is engagement.

So, what's the £63,000 answer

Take ideas from this list (assuming you have a business blog related to your expertise..)
    Product reviews
    Book reviews - You do read don't you?
    TV programs (No - the ones RELATED to your expertise)
    Industry events, conferences and exhibitions you attend.
    What YOU personally think about news or current affairs and how they affect your industry. (Maybe you want to be controversial, maybe you don't?)
    Things you did recently - No not what you had for lunch - more interesting stuff. Did you see something unusual or strange related to your industry.

See this blog post from a while back - which is really about nothing at all. Even more relevant given Sepp Blatter's recent comments on racism.

What to blog about (not)

You should probably avoid one or all of the following

Revealing personal information about yourself or your family. (Unless you are a publicity seeking, no shame celebrity whose scruples know no bounds). It's probably easy enough to find all this anyway.

Overtly selling (as discussed)

Knocking your competition (The laws of libel apply online just as they do anywhere else).

If it helps decided what to blog about

Buy a notepad and carry it with you. You can jot down thoughts where ever you are.

Oh and one more thing - If you can't write - maybe you can speak. Record your blog posts as audio and get a virtual assistant to transcribe them for you.

This blog post originally appeared on Sharp End Training. Aiming to be the first worldwide virtual online training company.
  4. [​IMG]

This post originally appeared on head of training - The blog of Jonathan Senior
  5. Most web users of a certain age have grown up with outlook (or for those of us who are old enough - outlook express).
    Outlook though, has it's limitations. Here are ten tell tale signs you may need to look for something else.

1. You have bookmarked more that 2 microsoft technical help pages.

2. You saved an attachment but you can't remember where

3. You get an error message when you open outlook "An unexpected error has occurred"

4. You have mistyped someones email and now it is in your address book wrong seemingly forever,

5. Your machine has crashed and you have lost your entire history of messages.

6. You have had an outlook or email related virus.

7. You find yourself on the "wrong" computer unable to send or receive email.

8. You have set up signatures and mail filters (to be more efficient) more than once (ever)

9. You work mobile or on more than one machine

10. You don't use any other microsoft products.

Help is available >> http://www.emailmanagement.biz

This short article first appeared on the Sharp End Training blog. The site for online training
  6. This post got us thinking about the booming DIY web design industry.

However, there are millions of people out there who have never heard of wordpress - so this post is for all those who are forced to consult a web designer but really don't know where to start...

Very few businesses can survive these days without a website.

Unless you have such loyal customers or are in a niche so small you have no competitor the decision to have a site is a no brainer.

Unfortunately, web designers are everywhere and the technology is relatively cheap and accessible that you need to be o your guard.

Here are a few things to watch out for.

1. What do you want the site to do?

What is the purpose of the site? How will it help your business?

The web designer will design a site but will it make your customers pick up the phone or contact you.

Does the designer understand marketing?

Remember, it is you who is paying the bill. Therefore, you have the final say on what is in and what is out.

The job of the site is to sell for you right?

NOT for the designer to put in their portfolio and impress their designer buddies on how smart they are.

2. Who will actually own the end product?

Unscrupulous designers may sign you up to a contract where they lock you in. You may find a nasty surprise if you ever want to move to a different designer.

3. Do they own the rights to the artwork they use?

Photographs, video and sound should be licensed for commercial use.

Sites like Flickr are easy to use and make everyone a photographer these days. You need to make sure that the

You don't really want a legal battle on your hands because the designer didn't have the relevant permissions.

4. Manage the site building like a project.

Depending on how you are paying the designer and how complex the project is, you need to build in time for testing, building content, those annoying but required pages like "terms of service" and "privacy"

Agree deadlines and deliverables in writing and in advance.

5. Who owns the domain name and where is it hosted?

Who owns the domain name - the www bit.

It's fine letting someone buy a domain on your behalf but if they vanish without a trace - you have a problem if they registered it in their name.

If you are not sure check nominet.org.uk for .co.uk and whois.sc for everything else.

Free hosting is good but if it at the expense of popup ads, banner ads, prolonged downtime - then it isn't so good.

This short article first appeared on the Sharp End Training site. Your first choice for online training.
  7. How to apply for a british passport

This last few weeks or so, I have been applying for a British passport for our youngest son.

Now British passports are highly prized around the world. Whatever the rights and wrongs of all the political wranglings, Britain is still a powerful country and a British passport is key to a lot of things.

So how hard can it be to apply?

I mean, you just fill in a form, send a couple of photograph, pay some money and wait for postie to call around a couple of weeks later.

(As an aside, I wonder if there is a reprint of the form due because it talks about “bank officer” and “respected in the community” in the same breath.

However, I want to tell you something. It’s hard.

Ok the passport form is written in plain english and it has the little crystal mark badge thingy to say so.

BUT

In this new age online form filling in, we aren’t actually used to reading large chunks of text and then doing exactly as we are told.

Here are the basics of the deal.

You have to write in BLACK PEN. ONE CAPITAL LETTER PER BOX.

For those of us who scribble in pencil 99% of the time, this is a challenge in itself.

You have to FOLLOW the exact rules.

Any mistake, ANY MISTAKE and you are OUT.

Why would you spell your own name and address wrong?

We wrote our basic contact details so often, we do it without thinking.

So how many forms did I go through?

First form, I put my relationship to my son as “BRITISH”

Second form, I wrote my wife’s maiden name when we have been married for 18+years.

WHY? (no not why are we married?)

Because the “name of the mother” came right after the “date of marriage box”

Third form, Filled in my sons details and and our countersignatory to confirm that he has known my son for 11 years. In actual fact, because I am the applicant – it should confirm he has known ME.

Anyways, we finally did it, on the fourth form. And yes I am bad at filling in forms or has anyone else had this problem?

This article first appeared on head of training. The blog of Jonathan Senior of Sharp End Training. The world's most dynamic online training company.
  8. So, the gotomeeting application is superb. It just works. Straight out of the box.

Even better, when I click record, it just records the conference onto my (external) hard drive.

BUT (and it's big BUT)

The .wmv file output won't go into camtasia for editing. Well it will but when I try to edit the gotomeeting output the rendering gets to 1.9% and then hangs.

(If you are really interested that I *think* it is to do with "time points" on the recording). Whatever the cause - it is a problem.

This is no problem if I don't need to edit the gotomeeting recording at all. (And assuming my viewers are all windows based and happy to watch .wmv files). Gotomeeting also records the WHOLE SCREEN - toolbars and all the other required junk on my screen.

There are loads of blog posts about this but I sorted (and I am using camtasia 7) doing the following workflow.

Take the raw .wmv file and make a copy of it - so whatever happens - that isn't changed. By default it will be stored in your "My documents" folder if you are on PC. (You can change this in your gotomeeting settings). Store this somewhere safely elsewhere.

I downloaded windows media encoder (free) - just google for it. I got version 9.

Next, I imported the COPY of the gotomeeting .wmv into media encoder and clicked the "convert"

This takes a while and you now end up with three versions of the same file. Obviously the longer the event (or the bigger the file) and more activity on the screen - the longer it will take to encode. While this is happening, you can't do anything with that machine - so plan when you will do this task wisely.

The original, the copy and the windows media encoder produced. They will all probably be called the same thing although you can specify where the "output" file will be located.

So I rename them "raw" and "final." Then I can edit the "final" in camtasia or any other video editing program.

Then I can export to flash video or mp4 or whatever I want. I can also add intro's, outro's and so called "callouts"

You can also rip out the audio with camtasia - "export as mp3" and voila - you have a podcast. Two for the price of one..

(By the way - this procedure also works exactly the same for gotowebinar).

A bit messy but anyone got any other suggestions?

Let's 'ave em...

This short article first appeared on the Sharp End Training blog. The world's first virtual online training company.
  9. At some point, if you are a small business owner, you are likely to have heard the phrase “networking works” line from some guru or other.

It does and you can use networking for not just selling (that’s actually the worst thing you can do) but also sourcing suppliers, finding out what competitors are doing, looking for join venture partners and collaborators.

This is all good.

BUT – getting to the level of trust needed to do all that means much closer contact (no – not that kind of contact) than you would normally get at a networking event.

Inevitably, this means that you need to spend time on the phone, in meetings, coffee shops, hotel lobbies etc.

If you are a solo professional, or bill by the hour, this will eat into valuable billable time.

This is NOT GOOD.

So, you need to speed up the qualifying process (and save your sanity while you are at it. Here are some things that have worked for me.

1. Don’t rush out to meet in person.

We have all been taken in by someone’s friendly nature at the initial meet. You really should qualify them over the phone before you meet. The cost of meeting includes not just the time, but coffee, parking, petrol etc etc.

All this comes off the bottom line.

2. Qualify them at your convenience

A lot of information is freely available online, you just need to think creatively.

Mystery shop them, look at their website, sign up for their newsletter (use a fake email so you fly under the radar obviously), type their email or phone number into google and see what comes up.

Do the facebook or linkedin groups they belong to match the story you have been given?

Why do all this ?

There is a school of thought which says (not saying if I agree to this or not – you can probably work it out ) that some people who go to networking events don’t actually have a “real business” – they are just hobbyists, funded in time or money by wealthy parents or spouse. #justsaying

Ok so given all this…Here are a few pointers which would tell you if a person is a good fit or not for your business.

Firstly, can you imagine yourself going for a beer with them or talking at a social event?

If you can’t – working with them isn’t going to be such a good idea.

Secondly, do they show up for meetings on time?

Regular lateness is a fact of life for many people.

However, I have to say that if you are late for a meeting with me with a call or good reason, I am unlikely to take your call in future. Probably ever.

Sorry to say that waiting around in coffee shops drinking expensive coffee isn’t going to build your business.

There is only so much “mental energy” and goodwill. If YOU are the one constantly chasing replies and minutes of meetings etc – this will use up sooner rather than later.

So – to summarise

At the risk of sounding like a boring solicitor, you need to develop your onw “due diligence process.” A sort of sytem to weed out time killers and deadbeats to make sure you only talk to people who will help drive your business forwards.

This article first appeared on Jonathan Senior’s blog .

Jonathan Senior is Head of Sharp End Training (UK), the world’s most dynamic and ambitious online training company.
  10. The other day, we posted this article about domains.

But I realised that maybe, the cart had gone before the horse. Most people can be forgiven for not knowing their .biz from their .mobi extensions.

Plus the domain registrar companies aren’t going to bend over backwards to explain all the details to you. So we will…

All the top business strategists talk consistently about brand and personal branding. What is little talked about is the value of a domain in your brand.

The domain is the www people type in to get to your website and it really should be the corner stone of your business.

So which domain to buy and why?

(Of course you are free to register which ever domain you want and I won’t be there holding your hand on the mouse as you press the “buy” button – so use you own judgement).

.com

is obviously the heavyweight of the domain world. It’s been around the longest, people trust it. The thing to remember though is that in a few years time, the internet will still be here and .com’s (especially short ones) will be a scarce resource.

Short, pronouncable .com’s are almost all taken already.

.net

Is usually referred to as the second level behind .com. Like .com they are respected and still freely available. They were originally intended for network & IT professionals but that is no longer the case.

Get a .net domain but be careful if the .com has been taken and be even more careful if it has been developed into a site. Your customers and visitors maybe confused.

.org

.org (or .org.uk) domains are usually used by non profit making organisations and charities.

If you plan on developing some sort of advice site then .org would be a perfect choice.

.biz

.biz domains are aimed at business owners and business pure and simple. If you are a business, a .biz is a good choice.

.info

These are relatively new and can be cheaper to register than other top level domains. They don’t carry the same “weight” as the other extensions mentioned already.

.tv

.tv is actually the top level domain for the tiny pacific Island country of Tuvalu. The country sold the rights to the domain and invested the money in the infrastructure if the country.

.tv domains are generally more expensive than most top level domains but if you have a video, film or TV related business, they are an ideal choice.

.mobi

These are intended for use with mobile devices and not generally to be used on a top level development site.

There are other domain extensions which are marketed heavily by domain registrars – but remember, you are spending real money.

This short article originally appeared on the Sharp End Training blog. Sharp End Training are aiming to be the world's number one online training company.
  11. If you are a start up, work from home, "mumpreneur" or any other 21st Century "new age business", it's likely that your website will be your primary marketing vehicle and shop window.

As far as "buying" it - you don't actually buy it. You effectively lease the rights for sole use for a specific period. If you don't pay the renewal fee - the domain will "drop" (watch for a future article) and the website and email attached to it will stop working.

Remember, some domains are valuable and it is worth paying for more than one year and making a note of when it expires - so you don't lose it.

It is obviously a vital choice. Something you need to get right - so which domain to buy?

If you are a solo professional or 1 person business, you should always register your own name .com and preferably .net. If you are outside the US, get the country top level domain also. So in the UK - this would be .co.uk

Registering your own name will stop so called "cyber squatters" putting up site and asking you for a lot of money to buy it off them.

If you head a small business, think about registering your business name as follows.

1. Remember the "phone test" - Think about how you would explain your website or email over the phone. (Maybe to someone who doesn't speak english as a native language). As a rule of thumb, if you think you are likely to run into trouble... You will...

2. Don't worry about hyphens. There are theories that they are not liked by search engines. But as few people are party to what search engines like and don't like, you can think of hyphens to just break up words.

3. Be careful what words you put together which normally have a space in between them. These can make the domain harder to remember and pronounce. Not what you want.

4. The shorter the better, As a general rule - short is easy to brand and fit round a logo. If possible under 10 characters.

5. Think about who you chose as your registrar. All companies offering domain registration should be registered with ICANN. But if you ever want to sell the domain, if it is not registered with one of the main players, your chances of selling it are likely to be less.

Also, some registrars will offer you cheap first year and then be more expensive afterwards. Think strategically as to how long you intend to keep the domain for.

6. You don't have to get your hosting from the same place as your domain. Registrars will often give you a cheap domain but make up the shortfall on hosting. Don't be taken in, again be strategic in your thinking.

This article first appeared on the Sharp End Training blog - aiming to be the world's most dynamic online training company.
  12. You don't have to go far online these days to read about virus infections, spam and denial of service attacks. They seem to be everywhere.

The bottom line is that the cyber criminals don't discriminate. They are not bothered if you are a solo professional, run a small business or a large corporation.

With this in mind, it's a good idea to make sure your data is securely backed in case you fall victim.

Online backup solutions are easy to find these days and assuming you choose one of these instead of backing up to removable disc, here are a few things to bear in mind.

1. It's a big decision. You don't want to be moving your data around very often. The backup should be seamless and hassle free, preferably in the background. The technology used is quite common and vendors will list "get started now with no credit card" to entice you in. Look hard at all the options before you jump in.

2. How many team members do you want to access the data? Quite often, the price can ramp up quite significantly the more users you add on. So it makes sense to restrict access to maybe yourself plus a trusted second in command.

3. If the worst happens, don't expect to get back online straight away. Depending on your download speed and amount of data, it could take several hours or even days before all your data is restored.

4. Some services will charge you an upload/download fee so make sure you know exactly what you are paying for and what you are getting.

5. Is the backup continuous? It's one thing to have a backup of your files, but it's another thing if that files are out of date as soon as you update. For safeties sake, you need continuous backup or your hard drive to be sync'd at all times.

6. How easy is it to navigate the interface? If the worst does happen, how easy will it be to access your data when maybe you are not thinking clearly and in a panicked state. Some of these services have very thin documentation. Why not have a test with a small amount of insignificant data?

Whichever service you chose, make sure it fits with the laws on personal data security appropriate for your country. These vary and you don't want your customers data to fall into the wrong hands.

This short article was brought to you by Sharp End Training. A Sheffield based online training & assessment company. We can be contacted via Sharp End Training

The author, Jonathan Senior is a Chartered Manager and member of the Chartered Institute. He has extensive experience of training & management in all types of business and is author of the book "Confessions of an interim manager"
  13. One thing which sets apart a successful business from an unsuccessful one is the use of systems and processes.

Systems and processes may sound a little scary and robotic but think of it as "endless what if..." questions

"What if a delivery is late? " then do this...

"what if a credit note doesn't balance?" then do that...

Having good systems make decisions easier and take judgement calls out of the equation which leads to more people being productive more of the time. If you have good processes then anyone subject to skill levels and health and safety considerations should be able to step into any particular seat and do that job. Contact/Call centres operate from checklists and when you telephone them, the operator will be reading from a script and the next thing they say will depend on what you answer.

Large corporations like government departments are often criticised for being over systematised (bureaucratic). It is stretching it too far to say that if someone drops a pencil on the floor, there will be a procedure to pick it up.

But there is a serious side to it. The example may be over simplified but for more complex procedures, there may be health and safety ramifications of taking a particular course of action. That's why you need procedures. If you watch the film apollo 13, they talk constantly of procedures. Step by step activities which will ultimately lead to a specific outcome. In their case, landing on the moon, in your case, more sales.

If you are a solo professional or working in a small team, it may be that you perform all or most of the tasks yourself. That doesn't matter, so long as you have management controls you have a template to work to. If you do all the tasks yourself, it can be a little daunting. The best way to develop systems is to break them down into smaller tasks. Performing certain tasks on certain days is a good way to do this.

If you work in a larger team, one key issue is to make sure that the procedures are clearly written down, understood and accepted by all.

Standardising customer service is one area you definitely need to focus on. Making sure that you are not working and eworking the same issues for little or no extra revenue. It's an overused cliche but think of your systems and processes as time management on steroids.

This short article was brought to you by Sharp End Training. A Sheffield based online training & assessment company. We can be contacted via Sharp End Training

The author, Jonathan Senior is a Chartered Manager and member of the Chartered Institute. He has extensive experience of training & management in all types of business. You can read some more about systems and process at What is failure demand? | Sharp End Training
  14. Everyone has thought about writing a book at some point in their careers. It is not easy.

Here are a few things to think about.

1. What do you want to be seen as an expert in?

Writing a book will give you instant credibility and expert status, Remember that through the internet, your ISBN number will identify you with the book for a very long time, if not for ever. So it makes sense to pick your topic wisely.

2. Don't wait until you have a title before you start. Remember, some babies aren't given a name until they are a few days old. Unless you have a really strong title, don't worry about it in the early stages of writing. If you don't have a strong title, take time to play around with several versions over a period of time until you are happy. Tip - use a notepad and pen and carry them around with you all the time. That way - you have your "thought history" with you.

3. Get the sleeve design right (1). It's a known fact that people who don't know much about wine will buy a bottle based on the label. It's the same with books. So pick a strong design which will stand out. Also, make sure that you have permission to use the photographs or artwork. It's probably best to get this in writing because people are likely to change their attitude if they think you are making money out of their designs.

4. Get the sleeve design right (2). Layout for print is very different to layout for web and you can come unstuck if you don't know the difference. If in doubt, consult an experienced graphic designer with expertise in this area.

5. Don't get dazzled by technology. In it's most basic form , a book is a set of words on a paper. Big corporations like amazon are trying their very best to reinvent reading through new technology like the kindle device. That's all fine but don't lose track that you need to get the words out in a coherent order. Old fashioned paper and pencil is best for this.

Finally, don't let these things put you off. Seeing and holding your published book is one of the most satisfying feelings you can imagine. If you have designed on being an expert, my advice is to get started right away.

The author, Jonathan Senior is a Chartered Manager and member of the Chartered Institute. He has extensive experience of training & management in all types of business. He is author of the paperback book "confessions of an interim manager" managementconfessions.com and Chief Executive of the world's most ambitious online training company - Sharp End Training
  15. For any non UK readers or those in the UK living in another world in the last 20 years, "Only fools and horses" was a massively popular BBC TV comedy program.

Two brothers Del - "Delboy" (UK slang for Derek) and Rodney were dreamers and flyby night chancers. They were small south London market traders, salesmen of most things, some legal, some not so.

They lived in a small flat with their grandad (and then later Uncle).

However, they were both quite dim. BUT crucially they also thought that THEY themselves were smart and it was the other brother was the dim wit.

So what's all this got to do with customer service?

One Delboy catch phrase was "Always 'finkin Rodney, Always 'finkin"

('Finkin being London dialect for "thinking)

The other day, I got am email following an enquiry I made.

The email started off

"As customer service is not a high priority for us...."

Now - reading the rest of the email, it was clear what the author meant to say was something like

"Our prices are low because the customer/end user is expected to be self sufficient in their affairs and managing their own account"

What the author had temporarily done was stop thinking about the customer.

We are all wrapped up in our own businesses. We live and breath them and sometimes we take things for granted. Like customers...

So be like Delboy and be "always 'finkin"

Jonathan Senior is head of Sharp End Training. The world's most ambitious online training company. He is author of "Confessions of an Interim manager."