1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Would you ever book a taxi online?

Discussion in 'Technology, Communications and Gadgets' started by anandp, Dec 20, 2010.

anandp

anandp Freshman

I ask because I run a minicab company amongst other things and wondered if business people would book a minicab online or just rather pick up the phone?

I'm guessing the phone would be a preference so simply trying to gauge what number would prefer online.

Heathrow Taxi service - 020 8991 9191 or Book Online - the process is fairly simple using the RED book now box. [mods - if this is a no no, let me know pls and I'll remove this line]

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

I'd prefer to phone really but i suppose a booking long time in advance I might. :)

AdamW

AdamW Lab Manager

I'd book online. Mainly in advance but would use for last minute if the system was reliable (ie the cab turned up).

matt.chatterley

matt.chatterley Web & Software Developer Premium Member

I might book in advance, although generally only require a cab at short notice!

laughingbear

laughingbear Applicant

Thinking through this I think there might be two options ...

First a classic web site were customers (thinking offices, receptionists etc) can book on their acccount

Second would probably be an iphone/mobile app which would probably be an aggregator/broker for a region or city.

Then customers would be able to request a cab and the companies would bid based on arrival time (coupled with historic success rate)

App would be free and the cab companies would be charged a fee per booking by the site owners.

anandp

anandp Freshman

Sounds like a great concept

Remote Techs

Remote Techs Freshman

I have booked Taxis online in the past, mainly for scheduled travel when I was working abroad. I heard a great idea of booking taxis from an iPad / iPhone over in the USA which used your location to find the nearest taxi, you'd could agree a price and everything from your phone!
    :tup:

vernonpurcell

vernonpurcell Graduate

I would get my service on iphone apps, there is one called Around Me
    if you are in that area it shows all the local cabs, then you hit the linked phone number, no hassel, real easy

fightthecause

fightthecause Graduate

I'd book online. I've got a blackberry (despite hating the thing) and don't get free landline calls, only mobile. I do get free internet which means I could book the cab online without having to pay for a call. :)

vernonpurcell

vernonpurcell Graduate

If you were in brighton and his taxi company was in the midlands, what use would he be online.

fightthecause

fightthecause Graduate

None at all. I was more pointing towards the idea in general being a good one :)

Dogwalker

Dogwalker Applicant

Probably both. It does depend on the circumstance though.

BDW

BDW Guest

Why on earth would anyone want to book a taxi online unless it was being done from a distance and in advance?

There is no way that I would trust an online booking if I needed a taxi soon.

paulfeakins

paulfeakins Graduate

I think it makes sense to book online as long as the website gave you feedback such as "there is 1 taxi 3 miles from you and will be with you in around 10 minutes" otherwise you might not feel your order had been received.

Paul.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
    BDW

BDW Guest

If I need a taxi in my locality I dial the number and almost always get one within five minutes. They give me a ring back normally within a minute or two to tell me they are on their way. How can you improve on this online?

fightthecause

fightthecause Graduate

The phone works real well. No doubt about that. Then again there was nothing wrong with the physical yellow pages but the online visitor numbers they get on their directories is probably more than impressive.

I don't think it's about improving the service but about offering it online. I've got a BlackBerry and don't get calls to landlines included in my tariff (like many people) so if I'm out and about then being able to book online (net included in my tariff) means I dint have to pay to make the call :)

anandp

anandp Freshman

Generally speaking, there are 4 types of online cab bookings currently:

1. Fully integrated online booking with immediate response, so essentially live (pay online optional)
    2. Book online (pay online optional) and receive confirmation within 1-2 hrs (e.g. Heathrow Taxi service - 020 8991 9191 or Book Online) so not for immediate journeys
    3. Book online (pay online optional) and receive confirmation within 24 hrs so not for immediate journeys. Online not a true customer experience channel, more of a added bonus.
    4. No facility to book online, but can request a quote via lengthy form.

Only the top 2 IMO demonstrate that online booking is something that is really important to the firm's strategy.

MotorkwikWales

MotorkwikWales Applicant

I would book online, especially if it was an app, probably only for advanced bookings at first but if it worked well then I'd do it for last minute too.

Karen
    Motorkwik - Buy & Sell Cars, News, Reviews

WaterCoolersDirect

WaterCoolersDirect Applicant

I think online could be a good idea for some scenarios, as pointed out above.

Have you also thought about being able to book via text?? I've often been in a noisy bar or club and not wanted to go outside to make a call and I would've loved it if I could book via text.... you could reply with confirmation and the vehicle registration...

Victoria

fightthecause

fightthecause Graduate

Thats a great idea! :tup: