1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Working without walls: do you really need an office?

Discussion in 'Business Advice for Start-ups' started by Mad Lab Rat, Aug 10, 2015.

Mad Lab Rat

Mad Lab Rat Mad Lab Rat

Startups are saying goodbye to expensive office space by ditching a permanent base altogether

http://bit.ly/1K1zSJ4

Can you work without an office? wherever you lay your hat that's your office?

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

I do see the benefits, however I can only see that working for a certain style of company of a certain size.

We are a large stockist of IT equipment, we have a 27,000 square foot warehouse, full of stock. To be productive at my job, I need to be able to access this at all times, which means being based at our office.

It wouldn't be of any benefit for our company if we all worked remotely.

If a company has no need for a central office, then why not, as long as they have the workforce committed enough for it.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I personally like being in the office, can't even work happily from home :)

micheal1981 likes this.
    Adam H

Adam H Have a Break, Have a KitKat

Depends on the type of person you are and the business of course, some people need others around them and that office environment to be motivated. I personally don't........I work from a home office and wouldnt change it for the world, ive built my business model around that ( thus far, but that will change as my plans progress ). Of course working remotely or from home has restrictions for growth in certain areas but it also has huge benefits for myself personally and my clients. I had a little girl in January this year, ive been able to spend time with the missus and be there with the little one to be apart of her first year which many fathers can't do after their 2 weeks leave, if your a motivated person who can literally switch off the outside world and get on with work then its a great life style.

I get up a 6.am get dressed , have a couple of hours with the family and then clamp down to work before most "employees" have even started their 9 - 5 job or are still commuting, Working quietly to my self i can probably get more done in 5 hours than an employee in the same business would get done in 15 hours. I "could" take an hour or two out of my day when i want to or even take days off when I need to fit in work in other time zones, like tonight ill most likely be up until 3am before heading off to bed but Ive spent the day with my little girl from 12 oclock until she went to bed at 6.30.

Yeah I probably work more hours than most( although not as many as i used to )....im a workaholic but thats the only way you get somewhere and reach your goals, I have very little overheads, very little stress, a plan going forward which is going well ( touch wood ) with this year being the most successful yet and i get to spend time with my family who I do all this for.

How effective or viable my business model would be with a limited company ( rather than sole trader ) with actual employees working remotely rather than contracted freelancers im not to sure............but i cant see why it wouldnt work providing everyone involved was reliable, motivated, trustworthy and the end result is still accomplished.

Simon Lown

Simon Lown Applicant

If you are looking to start an online business, take a look at Andrew Reynolds' book called Copy This Idea.

mostyn harvey

mostyn harvey Applicant

Iv always found that while working from home you miss that sense of "coming home" after work if that makes any sense??!!!

justinarnot

justinarnot Applicant

If we setup our mind that we have to do that work there is no need of any wall around

JDFilms

JDFilms Applicant

i think of it the other way around. i don't need an office per se, but i definitely do need somewhere i can get away from work. i try never to bring my work home with me. if that means staying late or working in a coworking space or even a cafe, i would sooner do that than disrupt my peace and quiet at home. i genuinely think it's really important for my peace of mind and productivity.

mostyn harvey likes this.
    Redspan

Redspan Applicant

There are pros and cons to working from home and going into an office.

Working from home saves on commuting time and can make you more productive because there are fewer interruptions form colleagues, but those same colleagues are the ones that give you a feeling of being part of a team. They motivate and support you so going to the office has its benefits.

WFH saves on the wear and tear on you and/or your vehicle but you have to pay for heating, lighting etc unless you can claim some of that cost back because your company has a 'home worker' policy and gives you an allowance.

WFH will never be the same as going to the office even if you've got superfast broadband and video team meetings, so I think if you can mix both then you have the best of both worlds.

Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana Full-time mom, part-time superhero

I think it depends on the business, the company culture and the person working. I have a home office. But sometimes I go out for a change of scenery. Sometimes the work I'm doing requires me to interact with other people. And on tasks where I need to really focus, I avoid people and stay at home.

I don't need an office but it does help knowing I have one if I need it.

Mitch carson

Mitch carson Applicant

Yes. I can work without office. but how.

I will outsource my work to trusted company. if you like then can check few company like, #Dataentrysolution#vakingdom #staffindia etc.

Jess_8

Jess_8 Applicant

Maybe in a business that is related to the interior design, they won't need office space. They get inspired in their own different spaces, maybe at home or outside around nature. Also, painters don't need an office space. Overal, people that have creative working professionals don't need an office.

PaulineGreening

PaulineGreening Applicant

As an employee, yes I can work without an office. I personally can work from the comforts of my home or at a place I prefer. But it would still be nice to have co-workers to make the job less of a job. For startups though, I feel like having an office is the way to go. As a client, I'd like to go see an office and be able to visit every now and then.