1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Which graphic design software?

Discussion in 'Graphic & Web Design' started by Mark, Sep 20, 2008.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

What design software do you use? I'm tempted to do a poll but Photoshop always does win out so it's a given.

Do you use anything other than 'mainstream' software for graphic design or web design?

:)

Dot Design

Dot Design Graduate

I currently use the following:

• Adobe Photoshop (CS2)
    • Adobe Illustrator (CS2)
    • Adobe Indesign (CS2)

I expect most graphic/print based designers use this software (or CS3) or possibly Freehand instead of Illustrator if they are diehard Freehand fans, which I think you are aren't you Mark?

Mark

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite for me. I use CS3 every now and then though.

Dot Design

Dot Design Graduate

That's interesting, what does CorelDRAW offer you that say Illustrator CS3 doesn't cover or it is just software which your very familiar with and does everything you need it to?

Conceptstore

Conceptstore Graduate

More money in your pocket:tup:

I tried out GIMP the other day. Pretty good for opensource. I also had a very quick play with Inkscape (opensource version of illustrator). Very impressive!

Dot Design

Dot Design Graduate

Will take a look at these, sound interesting.
    Thanks Chaten

Mark

CorelDRAW's node editing tools are legendary - I couldn't do without them! :) Corel also innovates a lot of things in vector and bitmap. That's why they say they produce industry leading software (rather than the industry standard). ;)

Dot Design

Dot Design Graduate

I guess that the design agencies that I have worked at over the years have always used Adobe software so I've always stuck to that.

Will certainly check Coral Draw out them Mark, cheers.

Stuart Magog

Stuart Magog Applicant

I use Adobe CS3 Premium - well worth the money imo, especially if you produce design for web as well as print.

Dragon-Media-Group

Dragon-Media-Group Freshman

We use CS3 for all our work. Its basically the industry standard.

uprint

uprint Freshman

Ray Stewart

Ray Stewart Lab Manager

Is there design software that can...

take a jpeg image that has been constructed of several layers and undo the layers for editing?

The reason I ask is that I have bought a program to add some functionality to a new landing page I am writing that has loads of stock images but they are US english and $ images. They need to be englishized or I am going to have to request a refund. The company don't seem keen to answer the question - they don't seem to understand why anyone would want to change them!

I don't mind spending a few pounds on some software but I need to know what the choices are. If it is just adobe then it isn't worth it. I have tried loads of shareware but none of them can undo the original layers. I got really excited last evening with gimp but then found even that will only add new layers.

Or is it easier just to have a couple of images made? The problem is I am not sure what I want and was going to play around with them a bit :/:

Dragon-Media-Group

you wont be able to separate layers after they have been made into a jpeg but if all you want to do is a bit of text editing then that shouldn't be too difficult. can you be more specific about what you want to do?

Ray Stewart

Ray Stewart Lab Manager

I have a solution of sorts

the US company have sent me the images that make up the layers so I can use gimp and jig with them now. Thanks for your input into this :)

Dragon-Media-Group

See - you didn't even have a problem to start with - bloody attention seeker! :)

Ray Stewart

Ray Stewart Lab Manager

I thought it was

a problem. Sorry :(

Dragon-Media-Group

Your lucky that your dealing with a helpful company.

Journey

Journey Freshman

I always use Adobe Photoshop CS2 as my graphic design software. I love using this because I'm familiar with its features. Though sometimes I also use Corel Draw as my alternative.

promostamper

promostamper Freshman

i have just started to use inkscape and really like it

Mark Orr

Mark Orr Applicant

Thanks for the tip on Inkscape

Reading this has been fascinating for me as nobody has mentioned Quark Xpress at all. It does shows how quickly the industry has moved away from it since Adobe bundled InDesign into a creative suite.

I decided from the outset that as a print management company we wouldn't ever do design for our clients. I prefer to collaborate with good creative professionals so my clients get really good results. For that reason we haven't bought any on the industry standard software. However, from time to time we need to be able to open things and make minor changes or do very small things that a professional wouldn't want to be bothered with. Some of our less switched on customers also don't want to pay very much if anything for these small things.

I therefore bought some very cheap software from Serif. Their page layout software can open and amend pdf files and I also use it to make jpegs our of other graphic files for use with our name badge making software. It is very simple to use as it is designed for novices but seems to contain some powerful tools as well as a full set of tutorials.

Serif also do Photoplus which I think could have opened the layers in that jpeg. It can open and save as psd and a huge number of other file types.

I have also looked at Webplus although I have never designed a web site in it, it has some powerful tools and easy ways to make email templates.

None of these told are sold to the professional market although I do know one 'professional' designer who uses Pageplus all the time.

Someone asked about Corel Draw. I did have a professional designer using this all the time but he has now moved over to CS3. I am told by people who use it that Corel Draw is really good for people who have always loved to draw and that it is great for certain types of effects and 3D stuff that you might want to use on the web. I think it may be quicker to achieve these effects too.

Good to talk to you all, have a great day