1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Whats the deal with the new .UK domain?

Discussion in 'Domains & Hosting' started by ping, Mar 25, 2014.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

If you already own the .com and also the .co.uk to a domain name what could happen when the .uk comes into play can someone buy your exact name as the .uk?
    Is it best to just get your name trademarked that way no one can then try and piggy back so to speak off your name

When it comes to trademarking is it expensive and what exactly does it mean if you pay to have your name trademarked?

Am i just worrying about nothing

Adam H

Adam H Have a Break, Have a KitKat

I "believe" there is some nice rules in place to prevent cyber squatting of sorts, its also means if you own a real tasty .co.uk domain your entitled to the .UK equivalent , whether there will be premium prices attached to premium domains upon registration im not sure but id say its likely.

Here are some "regulations" i found from a blog post back in November :

In terms of trademarks, your best getting specific advice based on your requirements as there is so many differences in what it can and cant cover depending on your niche. Most of the time providing there isnt a trademark in place already you can cover your name/brand for future usage and sometimes past usage IF they are in the same niche as you.

I would imagine its also down to price as to what you can apply for and obviously it gets more expensive if you want to cover that internationally as well.

I considered trading marking one of my brands a short time ago but never followed it up as i was considering rebranding.

Sorry for the vague answers regarding the trademarks, i know a little but not enough to give a decent answer unfortunately.

Mike-H likes this.
    ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

So with what your saying basically i am better off buying it to cover my own arse just incase, i really don't get why they are bringing out a .UK when you have .co.uk is it just another money making scheme?
    This part you mention
    Anyone with an existing .co.uk or .org.uk address will have the right to buy their .uk address first, with others blocked from buying the domain name for five years until 2019.

Does this mean i can wait upto 5 year then before actually purchasing the name without anyone even able to touch it as i see it

Thanks for your reply

rick

Adam H

Adam H Have a Break, Have a KitKat

I would "assume" thats what the statement means but things like this are always subject to change , like you say if they are only allowing the .co.uk TLD owners to purchase them in the first 5 years then it is nothing more than a way to generate money. It certainly wouldnt be to open up more domain spaces because the same people will occupy the same names should they want to.

The .UK TLD is probably the only one i havent looked into properly, ill have a quick look into it tomorrow at somepoint and see if can get some definite 100% answers rather than references from someones blog.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes Google and the SEO industry have devalued domain names so this is a poor attempt at generate cash.

I don't mind though as the internet is free and Tim B L is not a rich man.:)

kbos2hm

kbos2hm Applicant

.com and .co.uk etc are allways going to do better for the time being because people search for them more. I will not be running to get fancy new endings just yet. I think its more of a money spinner for domain hosts.

Mike-H

Mike-H Freshman

We, like many other businesses will probably register several of these just to protect our brand. We have many parked domains or re-directs already.

Unfortunately many businesses copy other websites, trading styles etc. Yes it costs a few hundred pounds registering and maintaining domains but for us this is money well spent. I imagine many small businesses would prefer to keep the money in their pockets.

Sop13

Sop13 Applicant

Hi,

I had exactly the same question, don't worry you are entitled to the rights for 5 years.

I found my answer here...
    http://blog.names.co.uk/2013/11/nominet-say-yes-can-name-uk/

To summarise...
    "Q. So, if I have names.co.uk does that automatically mean I am entitled to names.uk?

A. Yes, when the .uk domain names are available for registration you have the “first right”, this right will last for 5 years. If you haven’t registered the matching .uk within those 5 years, you lose the right and the domain name is available for anyone to register on a first come, first served basis."