1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Whats the best shopping cart to use for a website?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by ping, Jun 18, 2012.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

First of all two of my fave websites just for ease of use upto making payment for something are 1.Play.com 2.SportsDirect

can anybody tell me what carts these two websites use?

Features i would definitely like my website to use is

1.Some sort of drop down box on the search part where it can automatically show cheapest to most expensive items first and vice versa,newly listed items,sale items etc

2.Be able to offer discounts codes at checkout

3.Offer cross promotion on items for example if they buy a transformers t-shirt it will automatically offer the customer a chance to buy a transformers poster

4.Offer some sort of customer loyalty scheme just like the nectar card with sainsburys lets say for example they can buy certain t-shirts from me for so many points and when they have saved up enough points they can get a free money off voucher or a free t-shirt

what is the best cart to work with to offer these sort of features please anymore i can think of i will add to this thread

I appreciate any help

Rick

Mark likes this.
    BUZZB

BUZZB Freshman

Opencart can do what you need but i think the mod for cross promotions is not free.

paulfeakins and Mark like this.
    ebaypowerguru

ebaypowerguru Freshman

Cuecart, opencart, zen and magento are 4 great ones, try one of them out..

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

To answer the question of the opening post, I dont know which cart these guys use. They will both, however, have significant budgets for their online presence.

Which you may have too.

My advice is this. Consider carefully what your business needs from its shopping cart, and then talk to the suppliers of ecommerce solutions to establish who you believe can best supply your needs. Most ecommerce solutions providers will offer a range of solutions depending on the specification you require, and the budget you have. They will be willing to discuss these things at length with you to arrive at something that fits for you.

If you are looking for a free solutions, then that is a different challenge. Items 1 to 3 will be present in just about all offerings out there, number 4 may not be.

wizzardsblog

wizzardsblog Graduate

They'll be using their own custom solution. Possibly cost many £1000s to develop.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Is there a cart that's universal on all sites?

paulfeakins

paulfeakins Graduate

For a company like SportsDirect we're probably talking hundreds of thousands.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Is that not because the developer can charge them that?

JCTurner

JCTurner Graduate

I've been using and running OpenCart since January 2012. It's my first cart based site, I was using PayPal buttons with PayPal's own cart before, but wanted to offer another payment option (quite a few out there who dislike PayPal so much they refuse to buy).

I find OC very good in general, their forum has the answer to most issues you may come up against and it is constantly improving.

Also, no cost! There are various extensions that you can buy plus a load of free ones, however if you DIY, you will need to know a little about PHP/Code and how to FTP to your server.

theangrydog

theangrydog Domaining & Web Development

not going to comment on the the the various features of each cart, most of the open source ones, are based around the same source code, however, the only open source cart that i am not able to hack into is prestashop, the thing to remember is when using any of these solutions to remain totally secure is to constantly upgrade to the latest version.
    (i offer a ethical hacking service to some of my clients) not a crook, lol)

Mark likes this.
    paulfeakins

paulfeakins Graduate

RentalTablets

RentalTablets Graduate

that's the problem with working with an open soruce solution. hackers can get a bigger payday if they manage to find exploits in an open source script because they are used by the masses. So they end up looking for vulnerabilities in it. The other factor is obviously that hackers can get hold of the sourcles files too. That's half the battle won by the hacker.

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

That may be true in some cases. But those of us who are ethical quote everyone on a similar basis.

However, the exact specification of, say, the John Lewis website, and the scope of the work requested, may be very different indeed.

We have experience of building, supporting and marketing e-commerce sites with budgets of over £100k. We also have built e-commerce sites for under £1k. The specification was very different indeed.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

Agree with Paul - The brief/ Time = budget required.

There could be ongoing maintenance, server costs, copywriting, photography etc as part of the original brief or it could simply be "i've got 10 items and a paypal account - set me up".

DomainRegistrar

DomainRegistrar Freshman

To be fair a good hacker can get past any bit of security because there has to be an opening as such for the software to be created in the first place.

The cost of a site is all dependent on the specifics of the job, you could make a replica of You Tube, Ebay and such like for a couple of hundred, it is the brand name that validates their value today.
    When those sites were created, if you had the know how, and it would be basic knowledge nowadays you could have created the same.

Vero Mandro

Vero Mandro Applicant

The best shopping cart to use for a website., Appkodes offers best fancy clone application, which helps you to construct an interesting ecommerce website. It allows its clients to browse products under different categories and lets these to add the desired products towards their collection for foreseeable future purchase.