1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

What is your biggest pain point as a self employed

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Mad Lab Rat, Jun 6, 2015.

Mad Lab Rat

Mad Lab Rat Mad Lab Rat

entrepreneur?

Are you overwhelmed sometimes because you have no-one to work with or discuss issues with?
    Or do you relish working on your own as you don't have to consult anyone else?

Narfish

Narfish Freshman

MIne seems to be bad advice and me not knowing any differently until something bit us in the bum!

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Well I feel like I'm self employed sometimes, technically I suppose as an owner / director I could be.
    I like both - it's good sometimes to have a sounding board, but you don't necessarily have to work with others to get that.
    I also like being able to make decisions that I don't have to get permission for!

David Jenkins

David Jenkins Graduate

I enjoy the freedom of self employment and not having to keep going to the boss every 5 minutes to discuss every amendment. There again, I do have friends who are a phone call away who I can chat things over with.

Maevla

Best thing about being self employed must b days like this where you can sneak off a little earlier and enjoy the sun :)

David Jenkins and Silverisametal like this.
    David Jenkins

David Jenkins Graduate

Very true.... and I can work outside too

Maevla

Even better :)

Abbie Abrianna

Abbie Abrianna Applicant

Like everything else it has its own pros and cons. The best thing about self employment is that you have all the control in your hand but the disadvantage is that there is a lot of risk involved in being a self employed person.

David Jenkins likes this.
    Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

I'm not self-employed, my father in law is though. And it seems like his business booms in waves as and when he chooses.

If he decides to hibernate for a few days, he does and then suffers his own consequences, but he owns the business, so doesn't need permission to treat his work how he wants to.
    Sometimes I feel like telling him different but hey, it's not my business!

tombuckers

tombuckers All round good Guy!

Having to work when ill.
    I don't get ill much, but having to grind through when you just want to lay in bed and sleep 20 hours a day. That's the toughest thing.

Best things:
    - Don't have to rely on anyone else.
    - Work any hours you want.
    - The list goes on and on.

harryvent

harryvent Freshman

I work with single, make a decision myself, set a path, designation, no pressure of higher authority. Suppose any ideas needed I consult my friend.

jeffnev

jeffnev Graduate

I love working self-employed, but sometimes I get distracted easily and simply can't focus on work at all. It happens few and far between, but when it does I feel like packing the whole thing in! Working from home doesn't help either, as suddenly I'd rather clean the car or do a spot of baking rather then get my client work sent. Luckily the feeling passes soon enough and I get back to the grind.

John Pegram

John Pegram Freelance IT nerd

Freedom is awesome, work flow can be a nightmare. Plate spinning is the key

John Pegram

John Pegram Freelance IT nerd

currently very busy which is good but also stressful.

Linda Harper

Linda Harper Passive adventurer

Never been self-employed and don't think I have the necessary qualities to be successful working on my own. I get easily distracted, lack sense of direction and don't know where to start from. Things like self-motivation and persistence are unfamiliar to me and I would be terrible at any kind of business if I am my own boss. I just do things better under the guidance of other people and like to receive their approval which serves as motivation to me.

Keith Rollins

Keith Rollins Applicant

To make sure you are not providing too much as wages and earn more, one should delegate the hard works that need highly skillful employees (that result in higher expense) to Expert Virtual Employee. One of the best outsourcing firms I have worked with is STAFF INDIA. They provide virtual employees for only £2.99 p/hr

dbs00

dbs00 Bot Maker

Being a one man team.
    Sometimes trying to do too many things at the same time
    Sometimes not making enough $
    etc

Whitedesk

Whitedesk Freshman

Everything else has a disadvantages and advantages. Working on your own or rather be a self employed has a benefit that you are free to decide on your working schedule and you have the control on everything. Although, the disadvantages here include that no one else will be responsible for doing all the paperwork except you and you are solely be the one to pay your taxes on time.