1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

What is the best PPC or SEO?

Discussion in 'SEO, Social Media & Web Marketing' started by Lewis Lynne, Jan 28, 2014.

Lewis Lynne

Lewis Lynne Applicant

Hi All, I would like to know what works best for the website PPC or SEO?

Thanks,

Uwe (Invoiceberry)

Uwe (Invoiceberry) Graduate

Hi Lewis,

I think it's always a mix of all available marketing tools.

1. On-page SEO optimisation should be the first thing you do since it doesn't cost you a penny to write some content on your website, improve the title tags and start/maintain a blog.

2. Off-page SEO optimisation

3. PPC

That's how I would get started. However, SEO is always a long-term game. If you want to test a concept or make some quick sales to increase cash-flow it might be better to start with an Adsense PPC campaign. Results can definitely be seen faster.

Have a great day,
    Uwe

Lewis Lynne

Lewis Lynne Applicant

Thanks for replying @Uwe (Invoiceberry).

How long does it take if i go for SEO? Would it stay for long term?

Uwe (Invoiceberry)

Hi Lewis,

I guess it really depends. Small effects of SEO work can be seen fairly quick. E.g. go through your meta tags, title tags etc. Things like blog posts and good content will also have an immediate effect as your blog posts should get indexed on Google within a few hours/days.

You will need a lot of good-quality content which comes online on a regular basis.

Once you've written a good piece of content/blog post/tutorial/etc. it will forever be online which means that the effect should stay. But obviously you will need to regularly update your website/blog and publish new content. Google likes that.

Best,
    Uwe

jdluckhurst

jdluckhurst Freshman

I don't know if this guy has been banned or not, but I'm sure it is a question that others would want answered:

Uwe is right, SEO should be viewed as a mid to long term strategy and PPC more of a quick hit. Be careful though, if you target non converting search terms you can end up wasting a lot of money on PPC - make sure that you use daily budget caps.

In regards to SEO, you can find a lot of information on this forum although if I was to offer one piece of advice it would be to make sure that everything you do is squeeky clean in the eyes of Google. Spam will just cause serious issues for your website later on down the line.

Mark likes this.
    thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

I agree with jdluckhurst,

Don't expect to have your results ready overnight. You need to focus on your target and take a good note of your conversions.

Make sure your website is clean and what you're trying to sell/promote is readily available on the webpage within a couple of seconds.

Don't be spammy, though, I've see a couple of great projects banned by Google (or almost banned) which would be disastrous for your website for obvious reasons.

It's worth imagining that you're a customer searching something on the web and stumbling upon your website - what would you like to see there? What kind of offer would encourage you to buy the product/learn more? What would make you quit the site immediately?

Google Analytics tool is great to measure the user's behaviour, but thinking about you as if you were one of them is really helpful in making sense of your data.

Bizinchina

Bizinchina Applicant

I recently had a discussion with a client about this. I was trying to explain to them that sometimes they way the search marketing is going and so fickle it is way more fruitful to go with PPC.

I tried to tell him that with the cost of content creation and promotion that the time spent on these would double that of a PPC campaign. And you are still playing with fire. Even when we get his site to a good organic listing for the keywords he is looking for. You have to constantly monitor and maintain it.

The Serp's are ever changing , and especially with local search where most if the first page on Google is dominated by places and adds that there are only a couple of places for organic search.

Uwe (Invoiceberry)

It's definitely true that Google (and all others) are constantly changing their way of finding the "best" website for a specific search.

Especially the local attribute is changing the whole game in terms of keyword optimisation in my opinion. In the future the social attribute might change everything once again.

What I mean is a few years ago you either ranked on page 1 for the keyword "good plumber" or you didn't. Unless the searcher added the location as in "good plumber east london" Google couldn't really deliver any useful results. Nowadays Google exactly knows where you are sitting in front of your computer and the search results for "good plumber" will be totally different in London compared to Manchester or Liverpool. This goes more and more niche up to the point that depending on the street you are searching from your results might be completely different.

In the future Google will use more and more of the available social media information (Google+) in order to rank websites. If the same plumber which used to be number 1 when searching for "good plumber" has a good SEO agency, quality content and is in your location, but he got bad reviews from your friends, Google won't even show him on page 1 anymore.

Best,
    Uwe

Bizinchina likes this.
    Bizinchina

Bizinchina Applicant

It could be said that they are already doing this with Google places for local search and Google reviews. Google places are dominating local search at the moment and they have also dragged in some awful old websites on to the 1 first page of Google.

I saw this first hand when I was doing some research for a client that was trying to rank for guitar classes in a local area. I could believe my eyes when I saw some of the sites that were on the main page just because they had a Google places listing

Uwe (Invoiceberry) likes this.
    RickyVictor

RickyVictor Applicant

If you would like to get business in short term then PPC is the best for you and If you want to get business long term then go for SEO.

I would suggest you go for SEO.

Uwe (Invoiceberry)

Yup! Google places is definitely very powerful! I've been involved in launching an ecommerce business in Germany. Even though we deliver to all of Germany most visitors come from the local region of the head office since it is listed on Google places.

clickthroughkings

clickthroughkings Applicant

I would arrange this a totally different way

1. PPC - (Know what keywords work from hard data)
    2. Onsite SEO - (target your site towards keywords that work)
    3. Offsite SEO - (Wouldn't bother if someone is trying to do "link building")

In my experience, PPC will tell you if a) your site is good at making you money and b) whether you should bother at all with spending vast amounts of money on SEO, which can be expensive.

I would therefore say, prove that your site can give you a return first.

Thanks

hostsurfuk

hostsurfuk Graduate

Both of these things can cost alot but if done well SEO can work better long term. with PPC you have to constantly keep feeding it cash.

SalmanShaikh

SalmanShaikh Applicant

Both the things are good. I would recomment you go for SEO because of long term benifit. PPC is only for limited term.

RDB1

RDB1 Guest

Both are completely different. SEO is natural organic rankings and PPC is paid advertising. Both are excellent but one is dependent on your budget (PPC) and the other is based upon skill so to speak (SEO) Out of the two I would personally go with SEO.

kaskin

kaskin Applicant

SEO is a tedious job, ppc necessarily

Leadamo

Leadamo Freshman

All website should consider SEO. I always see SEO as a medium to long term effort before any results are obtained.

If budget is available, try PPC.

I would also recommend writing regularly, with fresh unique content.

Alby

Alby Freshman

Typically many utilise PPC whilst working on the SEO element. Basically because you can get much quicker results. As alluded to by various members, PPC can be lucrative, however it needs to be monitored and the results measured. SEO can be time consuming dependent upon the keywords aiming for. Local search is an area which is seeing better results quicker, if done correctly. Google Places etc display results and combine various Google related factors, inc Google reviews etc.

HFE Signs

HFE Signs Signs, Banners, Flags & Digital Print Premium Member

Both are important as an on-line business you need to dedicate time to both, you need to do everything marketing wise as you can possibly think of without detracting from doing the job itself, this is what makes business owners have to work such long hours.. best of luck with it all..

LJ1

LJ1 Freshman

I think if you get good quality SEO then SEO. If the quality of SEO is poor and they just link build, then probably PPC. Also, if you're looking to get up the rankings quickly (maybe you sell best at a certain time of year - flowers for valentines day etc) then PPC is also probably best, but also, a focus on SEO will get you that long term and well deserved natural growth. Once you're at the top of the rankings, PPC becomes a little less relevant.