1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

What are simple things you've done to radically improve your productivity?

Discussion in 'Business Advice for Start-ups' started by markadward, Mar 9, 2017.

markadward

markadward Freshman

5 Tips to Improve Productivity in your Office

[​IMG]
    Let’s get this straight, we all work in a company so that we can produce results, and ultimately earn the company more income. If we are unproductive for a company, then I suppose there is no need for us, and we might as well get fired.

However, often we get trapped in our cycle of doing non-value adding, admin work, which never seems to finish, as a result the productivity in the office goes down.

I have seen this a lot at MyVirtualPeople, and we actively guide virtual employees to maintain productivity whilst working with our clients. Here are a few tips we implement at MyVirtualPeople that hopefully will be useful to every company.

1. Communication
    [​IMG]
    One of the most important skills in any business is effective communication. When you are communicating with staff and clients, make sure that all your instructions and information is understood the way you intend it to be.

With communication, clarity is the number one objective. Just by speaking clearly, concisely and checking that the person you are communicating with has understood what you have said, you can save precious time by getting what you need the first time.

2. Planning

[​IMG]
    Plan your project or tasks properly. Break it down into smaller steps and assign a date by which each step should be completed. Delegate any of the projects that can be done by someone else, but keep it closely supervised as to who is doing what and when you need it completed by. Once you have planned how you will do the project, you will find that you are less likely to put it off until the last minute.

3. Prioritizing

[​IMG]
    Jumping around from one project to another, not feeling as if you have accomplished anything each day or constantly rushing to finish on deadlines is a sign that you need to reorganize how you approach your task scheduling and work prioritizing strategy.
    Each morning go through your inbox and prioritize its contents. Once you know what has to be done, how urgently it is needed, and how long it is likely to take to complete, add the tasks in order of importance to your work schedule for the day. When the mail comes in, prioritize any items that need attention, and then add these to your work schedule.

4. Delegation

[​IMG]
    If you have team members working on your same project, delegate some of your routine tasks which you can quickly instruct someone else to take responsibility of. Remember to communicate the instructions clearly and ensure they are understood before giving the task to your colleague. Once you delegate something, just a quick review to ensure it’s done correctly and on time is all that you should need to do.

5. Accountability
    [​IMG]
    Every employee needs to be well aware that he is accountable for his actions and decisions, and he can neither pass the buck or pass the blame to someone else.

• This will help him work more meticulously,
    • Take cautious rather than reckless decisions, and not take advantage of his place, position or relationship with his superiors.
    6. Bonus Tip – Hire Virtual Employees!
    [​IMG]
    Every company has tons of admin work to do, and we often make the mistake of piling on all the admin work to our capable employees who should ideally be busy using their skills on strategic work that helps the company earn its bread and butter.

A smart way to eliminate this lack of productivity is to outsource the admin work to virtual employees who would work for your company directly from only £2.99 per hour. This, of course, comes with many other benefits other than just the low pay rate. Visit MyVirtualPeople for more details on this.

As always, please do feel free to share some of your own tips for others to learn from. And if you have any questions go ahead and drop me a message. Thanks again.

jeffnev

jeffnev Graduate

Great points, Mark. Especially the points on accountability, which many forget when working - particularly in small businesses.

Personally, I feel like adopting the 'Pomodoro' technique had the biggest influence on my current productivity (especially in my old age!).

Julia Sta Romana likes this.
    Jeremy25

Jeremy25 Applicant

Awesome! Very well explained. It is very effective. Even if these are small points, it can make great impact. Thanks for the share.

dbs00

dbs00 Bot Maker

Google Seindfield productivy calendar method.
    Its awesome. Does wonders for me.

(its mostly to set up good habits, in my case 1h of learning to code every day)

Whitedesk

Whitedesk Freshman

Those simple things are great tips towards productivity. I always do the planning and prioritizing to be productive.

mostyn harvey

mostyn harvey Applicant

Fantastic points for anyone to take good notice of! Thanks for the share!

JDFilms

JDFilms Applicant

genuinely useful list + neat promo for your company markadward. @jeffnev definitely agree with you about pomodoro. one thing i'd add would be 'evaluation' - kind of ties into accountability. you always need to step back see what's working and what isn't and employees need that too.

missyflink

missyflink Freshman

I have a mnemonic similar to what are you talking about. I called it "PODC"- planning, organizing, directing, controlling. Good luck

JDFilms likes this.
    Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana Full-time mom, part-time superhero

The Pomodoro Technique is awesome! I was surprised how much work I was able to finish in 5 hours, simply because I was able to focus more. And it also made me feel less guilty about taking breaks. Knowing I had a short or long break to forward to actually encouraged me to work harder to finish a task per cycle. Best brain hack that worked for me.

jeffnev

jeffnev Graduate

It completely turned things around for me too. I remember that feeling of guilt after feeling like I didn't work as hard as I could have in a workday. Things are radically different now!

Srialto

Srialto Srialto - Online Service Marketplace

Nice Tips Mark, I really appreciate your post, I always follow some points in this.
    Thanks to share