1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Website copying all my content

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property & Trademarking' started by philgames, Jul 19, 2013.

philgames

philgames Applicant

Hello, I recently bought a new domain, however a pr6 website is copying it all.
    I bought a new domain and a couple of days a go spent a lot of time and effort making some articles for it about 12... big ones... anyway today i thought i would look to see where it is indexed on google so i went and copied pasted search few sentences and found another website with my article.. so I decided to research more of my articles and it seems all of them are on another health website..... after some research i found out that how this other website work is by letting people register and it will then automatically scrape and post your articles on the website... i assume that the old website owner must have used this service and used wordpress the same as me and now this health website is still scraping my website content and claiming it as there own without my permission.

The thing is though because this website is a pr6 and removes all links and stuff from articles i am sure google would have indexed and seen that content first before mine.... I filed in a dcma request... but it seems they have stolen my content and are getting away with it....

What should i do? Can i sue them for damages?

Google has agreed with me and approved my dcma!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2013
    Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Hi Phil

Sorry, what's a DCMA?

philgames

philgames Applicant

Wups sorry typo dmca request is Digital Millennium Copyright Act removal request where you tell google that someone is infringing your copyright and hopefully they will be removed and google will then see you as the original owner of the piece again...Iv just found another website copying all my content (including a homepage of one website i own they could not even be bothered to remove welcome to.. insert website name here) and because i am part of a niche this website copied content from many different sites i own on a mass scale along with many other people websites too.. What do i do?

KevJaques

KevJaques Senior Lab Tech Premium Member

Have you also done a google dmca? They have a support page for it.
    You could also try adding in a deny request to the ip/url for the site that is scraping the content in the htaccess file. Would mean they would either need to proxy or manually do it. (could be trial and error depending on how intelligent the scraping bot is)
    Also add in known scraper bots to the htaccess file.
    examples in the link here Blocking Bad Bots and Scrapers with .htaccess

Mark likes this.
    philgames

philgames Applicant

Thank you good idea i think i will try adding that to my htaccess code.. and i will see if blocking them maywork because i think many autoblog work as a on server wordpress plugin so could work thanks

KevJaques

Mark likes this.
    thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

The guys offered good solutions. Does anybody knows about the websites, which content ir protected by copyscape. Does copyscape have actually any value?

philgames

philgames Applicant

I emailed one of the website that copied loads of my content and other peoples to so i sent them a general email of please take down all copyrighted content or face legal action and there response was.. and i quote

"Can you tell us why we should remove copyrighted content?Is there anything wrong?"

:wtf:

KevJaques

yea tossers, ule never win with their mentality, they will think they are right even when they're plainly in the wrong!!
    Check your logs to see which scraper bots are combing the site, one of the plugins should capture most of them, make sure it's the one they are using.

I know of a particular .cc site scraping whole sites, scumbags!!

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Never ask these sites to remove content; go for the host in the first instance.

PDQPaymentsLtd likes this.
    theangrydog

theangrydog Domaining & Web Development

Remember only american hosts are required to look at dcma requests, in the uk quote the, Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003 & Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

IRONMAN2000

IRONMAN2000 Applicant

This kind of thing happens so often today and is unbelievable the audacity of the people who try to cut corners and steal other people hard work. The sad thing about this also is its close to impossible to defend against people doing this. You can use certain tools to block text copying, but then I am not sure if this effects Google or Bing from rating your site on the search engines etc.

PDQPaymentsLtd

PDQPaymentsLtd Freshman

Going forward, if you don't already, make sure your new content you have hooked up with Google Authorship https://plus.google.com/authorship & link to your Google + page. This, from Google's POV will help going forward with ensuring G knows you're the originator. Had similar issue and this solved it for us.

lellis

lellis Applicant

If you need to, the small claims track of the Patents County Court might be the place for you to go if you want to take it further.

Leigh Ellis
    Intellectual Property Solicitor

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
    rsoders

rsoders Applicant

rsoders

rsoders Applicant

Exactly! This is probably the only solution. If you deny access for certain ip/url they can easily access your site via proxy, if you use some tools to block text copying then they can just retype text.

SetupaCompany

SetupaCompany Trainee Lab Tech

Send a cease and desist letter to both the owners and the host of their website.

I had to do this once and it got almost immediate results. Within a couple of hours I had a reply from the host saying they had suspended the account until the infringements had been removed and also a reply from the owner apologising.

The site was taken down later that day.