1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Using Skype and a webcam

Discussion in '2 & 4 Wheels' started by Chris Lodge, Jan 6, 2010.

Chris Lodge

Chris Lodge Graduate

It amazes me in this politically correct, carbon footprint orientatated technical age that more use is not made of simple cheap video conferencing.

Yesterday, I was due to meet a client at the office but in view of the likelihood of snow (which actually arrived last night), we decided to meet on Skype using webcams and nothing was lost by our being physically 20 miles apart!

AdamW

AdamW Lab Manager

Indeed - something that can be used much more. Although it's great to meet in person it's not always necessary.

Gerry Brannigan

Gerry Brannigan Freshman

Great post Chris,

We use Skype all the time. It is brilliant for conference calls which would normally be an expense.

I would recommend purchasing a skype in number and for only £9.99 you get unlimited land line calls within the UK making it ideal if you travel.

my_powwownow

my_powwownow Applicant

Skype's great, but don't be fooled into thinking that all conference call providers are expensive.

I work for a company called Powwownow. We only charge for the cost of a national call. Check out Free Conference Call | Conference Calls | Powwownow if you'd like to know more.

Chris Lodge

Chris Lodge Graduate

Thanks for the tip

... but if the prticipant needs o dial an 0844 number, that can be rather expensive I should have thought

Chris Lodge

Chris Lodge Graduate

We are certainly using it more and more and it just gets better and better

matt.chatterley

matt.chatterley Web & Software Developer Premium Member

On a similar topic (slight deviation), does anyone here have primarily "voip based" phones (actual handsets) - whether running on Skype network or otherwise?

If so, what have your experiences been like - do you consider them a real alternative? :)

Chris Lodge

Chris Lodge Graduate

Handsets

I have used one via a USB but I have an Acer Aspire laptop these days (with a built in webcam) so I talk directly to the in-built mike.

It seems to work well

matt.chatterley

matt.chatterley Web & Software Developer Premium Member

Cheers both. :) I'm building a picture of how I want our "new" phone system to work later in the year, so just collecting bits of feedback on what other people have. I'm happy to post what we're planning to do if anyone is particularly interested - as well as how we manage to put it together..!

As an aside, I'm trying not to overcomplicate it, as having worked on a development project for a telephony company a few years ago, there is always the tendency to think "And we could just..."! ;)

Trim John

Trim John Applicant

Well this is really nice to have and it would be really give you the right deals and you can dial more and unlimited calls that would connect you more people.

Chris Lodge

Chris Lodge Graduate

More options

Since my original post, iPhone/iPad/Mac users can benefit from the brilliant FaceTime facility and now Google Hangouts

leemason

leemason Senior Lab Tech

Video conferencing has been bubbling under for years. Many large businesses have had video conferencing facilities between offices for a long time. The problem has always been compatibility. If you have a Polycom conference system and I have an Aastra conference phones and someone else has just a PC how do we all talk? Things are getting better but we need a more unified standard for conferencing that everyone can use.

cjd

cjd Junior Lab Tech

I'm not convinced that small businesses actually want it. We had video (free) in our first network but when we built our second we forgot to implement it. We didn't have a single complaint and it was 2 years before we noticed.

Corporates find it useful and it's fabulous for families with relatives overseas but even we don't use it for our own business. People seem to prefer anonymity.

leemason

leemason Senior Lab Tech

I have to agree with cjd. Many of the expensive video conferencing facilities that I see are hardly ever used.

samuel

samuel Graduate Premium Member

Does anyone here use FaceTime regularly over Skype? What're your experiences like? I've tried it out a couple of times, and always found it sorta unreliable.