1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

UK vs Europe

Discussion in 'International Trade & Sales' started by KarSangha, Jan 2, 2013.

KarSangha

KarSangha Applicant

How far should the UKs integration with the EU go?

The CBI, one of the biggest business lobbies in the UK, have urged the UK government to work closer with the EU. The argument is that there is a potential free-trade deal on the cards between Europe and the US.

Is this a likely proposal? Should the UK avoid the EU because of the current situation in some EU countries?

Ideas welcomed

SatWorldwide

SatWorldwide Graduate

I think Its a hard one to call. If we get closer and the eu flops (quite likely) it could drag us down further than if we kept our distance.

The EU like the US and UK are using small plasters to dress very large cuts. Unless the powers to be address the problems face on and sort them correctly, then we could see a fall in international trade anyway.

KarSangha likes this.
    KarSangha

KarSangha Applicant

I don't know why, but I just cannot see the EU failing.

The governments do need to use more transparent methods to sort out the mess. Patience is also needed as it is not going to be a 'quick fix'. The growing economies such as China and Brazil are going to dominate soon which may be why the US want to team up with Europe.

SatWorldwide

SatWorldwide Graduate

The EU

I hope you are right. However I think the German people will get fed up with funding a bottomless pit and eventually it will cause a split. Then we might see a positive outcome regarding the EU. That is if the Politian’s can agree on what they should and should not be doing

KarSangha

KarSangha Applicant

I agree with that. Germany is the major factor in whether the EU survives or fails.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

The Euro will fail, unless the Euro zone unify their fiscal policy. That means the member states must give up their economic independance, and a central economic policy must take a sovereign role, underpinned by a central European bank.

This would mean a move to a full federal model for Europe. The bodge up that we have now will never work well.

Of course, UK would not want to be part of such a federal zone, and therefore we have no right to a seat at this debate.

leemason

leemason Senior Lab Tech

Something that has confused me for some time. If Europe and the Euro are in such a bad condition why is it that thr Euro is so strong against the Pound and Dollar? Are we then in an even worse condition according to the currency markets?

KarSangha likes this.
    KarSangha

KarSangha Applicant

That is an interesting point. Also, in the news today, it has been announced that the unemployment levels have dropped slightly. Although it is not a massive difference, it is still a good sign for the optimistic.

Also, Germany's unemployment figures for December were promising so maybe there is a glimmer of hope.

Mark

Out. Totally.

It's not about business although we can survive pretty well 'alone'. It's about our sovereignty and our ability to make our own laws. Far too much legislative power has been given away to unelected bureaucrats like Van Rompuy and Barrosso and their minions.

The EU is nothing short of a communist-style totalitarian dictatorship. I'm assuming no one has watched those videos I referred to?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGQIxYfKKtc"]The gathering storm - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3u9LB32YYM"]Europe needs a revolution - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkyK6asqVE"]Welcome to the EUSSR - part 1 of 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Ten EU truths we must tell the public

If you want to continue to piss away your democratic freedom, knock yourself out...

SatWorldwide

SatWorldwide Graduate

The Euro

Hi Lee the rates will fluctuate, however it's pound weakness not Euro strength and at what level the markets see each country. The Pound has made gains over the last couple of years e.g. we have seen 1.09s however as a rule it's all reliant on data, good or bad will determin on what direction the rate will go. After the small plaster to fix the fiscal cliff this week the USD has come back against the majors. This could be very short lived as it was a small plaster on a very big cut

leemason

leemason Senior Lab Tech

But the Pound is comparatively weak again the Euro and the Dollar. Not so long ago a Pound would buy you 2 Dollars and about 1.5 Euros. Today the Pound will buy about 1.6 Dollars and 1.25 Euro's. It has come back up in the last couple of years as at one point we were almost at parity with the Euro. This surely means that the World currency markets see the UK as much weaker than either Europe or the USA in comparative terms (compared with our position 5 years ago).

There is a lot of hysteria about at the moment with the problems in the Euro zone but to my mind the problems in the US are much bigger and more structural. They do not seem to be able to reduce their reliance of Government borrowing at all no matter which party is in power and their debt just keeps growing. I heard one report saying that they would technically be bankrupt without 20 years if they carry on this way. This combined with their long term structural decline and the rise of China makes the future very bleak for the US.

leemason

leemason Senior Lab Tech

SatWorldwide

SatWorldwide Graduate

GBP

Some say the pound was over valued at one point. Yes you are correct it's pound weakness and UK data is fairly consistent (poor) It’s like the build up to the US Fiscal Cliff, GBP gained approx 3 points. In a week it's lost those gains. That’s why a good currency broker could save you thousands of pounds a year on currency. A good position would have had a limit order in over the holiday period. We might not see the 1.30s again etc however we can take advantage of the highs and lows using the correct tools on offer.

leemason likes this.
    Mark

Not sure what this thread has to do with UKIP directly but thanks for the links.

All parties have mentalists - some far more than others. ;)

I too see the problems in the US as very far-reaching if they don't get their act together but as the EU is on our doorstep so to speak, there's a fair bit we can do about it.

leemason

leemason Senior Lab Tech

Sorry, that wasn't a good link for UKIP. Having said that even though David Noakes stood in the UKIP leadership elections and as a UKIP candidate he now says: "I am an independent Town Councillor, not a member of any political party, because all of them, including UKIP, are controlled by the EU. In England genuinely anti-EU people are excluded from senior positions in politics, so I do not now expect a political career. "

Mark likes this.
    Mark

ndirect

ndirect Applicant

It's interesting, when I was working in Europe ( Hungary to be exact ) , I noticed UK companies would steer clear of working with EU companies almost all the time. It was resented by the Europeans in some ways as they felt the UK didn't want to be fully involved in the EU as much as the other states.