1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Twitter ye not?

Discussion in 'SEO, Social Media & Web Marketing' started by price engines, Sep 22, 2009.

price engines

price engines Freshman

Twitter seems to be a the marmite of the micro-blogging world - you either love it or hate it.

I see many posts and conversations taking place about 'roi on twitter' etc but I think many miss the point.

For me, Twitter is all about engaging with a potential customer rather than just shoving a 'selling message' down their tweet pipe. There's almost an etiquette to using Twitter to get the most out of it.

A few common problems I've come across during my own time on Twitter have been:

* No avatar - we're talking about engaging people so show them who they're talking to.

* No custom background - it only takes a few minutes to create a unique masterpiece yet it speaks volumes about how serious you are.

* Do you thank everyone who follows you personally? Aside from the obvious spammers, I do - it's a great opening line. I always try to include a personalised note based on their last tweet or bio - it shows you care.

* Too outspoken - if your Twitter account is aimed at gaining customers, then be careful about how outspoken you are - religion and politics are two I try to stay away from.

* What the XXXX? - Watch that language - nothing will get you unfollowed / no followers at all than profanity. If you must, register a separate private account. Just don;t confuse the two.

* Use rss alerts to see when you're mentioned - using rss alerts to see when you're mentioned is invaluable if you're not on Twitter all day (some of us do have work to do) - as you'll not only pick up when you were mentioned but you might feel inclined to follow commenters back etc.

* Timed repeated posts - I try never to repeat a tweet and haven't resorted to using automated posting apps yet. You'll notice how tiresome it gets when some tweets keep re-publishing to the extent where you'll unfollow someone to stop it.

and finally.... Tweet Crazy - be mindful of more than 3 tweets in a row as whoever's following you will get a screenful of your posts and a screenful can turn into a belly-full.

Hope you find these tips useful. Good luck with your Twitter endeavours.

priceengines (priceengines) on Twitter

KevJaques

KevJaques Senior Lab Tech Premium Member

Timed repeated posts is a killer imo, so annoying, I can appreciate some are there for people from different time zones but still, some twits go too far ;)

sjr4x4

sjr4x4 Graduate Premium Member

still haven't really got to grips with twitter, still experimenting, but some interesting points brought up. Thanking everyone personally is a cracking idea. Simple and effective.

I shall slog on, but the jury is out if it is worth the time investment versus other forms of online marketing.

Enhanced Images

Enhanced Images Applicant

love the twitter ...... even been asked to run some training on it, but i do agree exactly with what you are saying and have to make your tweets interesting

price engines

price engines Freshman

Thanks for stopping by.

There's a lot of negative 'press' about Twitter - "do we really want to know what so-and-so had for breakfast" seems to be a favourite line amongst the 'press'.

I do think they're missing the point.

The point surely is that it's another opportunity to interact with your audience, whether that's paying customers or loyal followers.

Stick with it guys - a good following doesn't happen overnight.

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

Twitter works well for website traffic, leads and sales - but as in any form of netwoking you need ot add value to get value.

I wish the people who say 'but I don't want to know what people had for breakfast' would try it out properly for a length of time before knocking it.

It's very rare I see 'I had a cheese sandwich for lunch' type tweets these days, and if someone you follow posts things you don't like reading, unfollow them!

The followers have all the power in Twitter - that's what makes it so powerful (IMHO)

===
    Nikki Pilkington
    Helping Small Businesses with Social Media & Internet Marketing
    Why Small Businesses Should Blog More

marketing difference

marketing difference Freshman

The big issues with Twitter for as a business tool are:
    1. The amount of time you need to commit to make it work
    2. The need to ensure that you are eloquent and interesting
    3. If you're not internet based you can struggle to engage with local customers. The majority of my hits off Twitter have come from the US.
    4. The need to drive tweets to relevant content on your website. If you are promoting an event you need to have page on your website giving more details.
    Therefore, for most businesses LinkedIn and Facebook may offer better returns with less effort.

Having said that I have real example of where Tweeting has paid dividends. The Chocolate Cafe at Ramsbottom (@welovechocolate) have been tweeting for 4 months about events in Ramsbottom and chocolate with great success. A big driver is that they have kept their Tweets relevant to their business.

Therefore, if you want to use Twitter to promote your business ensure that your feed is relevant and minimise the social. If you want to do social get a separate account. I have two Twitter accounts one social (@ianjturk) and one business (@marketingdif).

Stallfinder

Stallfinder Freshman

I don't use any of the automated applications on twitter apart from twitterfeed which posts any blog updates - I don't blog often enough for this to annoy anyone. The only other one I use is tweetbeep which alerts me everytime my user/website name is mentioned. I only have one account but, although I mention personal stuff now and again, I'm always very mindful of the fact it'll be associated with my website.

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

I find that Maffia thing so irritating - is there any way to block it? :cop:

marketing difference

For anyone using Twitter as a business tool, I would suggest you read these 2 articles.

Like any form of communication you need a proper strategy. You need to think about what you are going to say, when you are going to say it, and who you are going to say it to. Just gathering 10,000 followers is not enough and may even be counter-productive. Instead, you need to interest and engage people who are likely to be or who are your customers.

Marketing Donut

Marketing Donut Applicant

Twitter

I think that the honeymoon period for twitter is now over and we need to spend less time talking about it and talking it up and look at really defining how best to use it and tailoring it for individual needs.

marketing difference

Very true. There has been a lot of hot air generated over Twitter.

Twitter can be a useful business tool. I am aware of examples where it has bought extra customer to UK small businesses. However, like any communication medium you need to have a clear strategy. Also it is not free as it can be quite time consuming.

price engines

price engines Freshman

Hi Guys and Gals and thanks for the continued input on this thread.

A thought occurred the other day (a very rare occurrence!!) that I should start looking more at the tweets I interact with e.g re-tweet, click on, visit author, follow (and unfollow) as a possible way of gauging what type of tweets will be the most productive - from a marketing sense.

I'm a big fan of humour - if it makes you smile, then that's magical etc.

Have any of you tried any sort of rationale as part of your marketing efforts on twitter and have you come to any conclusions about what types of tweets work well (or not)?

Jonathan

UK Business Network

UK Business Network Junior Lab Tech

sjr4x4

sjr4x4 Graduate Premium Member

UK Business Network

haha, modesty has always been an issue with me, but as I had a mention from Duncan Bannatyne about my twitter backgrounds yesterday, I must be doing something right! The wife was laughing at me, as I kept checking for another reply from him, all night! haha!

Pimlico

Pimlico Trainee Lab Tech

UK Business Network

Oh I agree 100% Pims, trouble is out of the ones I have sold so far, roughly half have needed different sizes, I view on a 24' mac, none of them fit, they are all too small, I can make them to the right size easily enough, but its all dependant on screen size and who is viewing it.

Bit like saying I want a patio door, here is the universal sizes, but peoples frames are all different sizes :p

Pimlico

Pimlico Trainee Lab Tech

True, but I would think that a design for 1024 x 768 would be a minimum, and yours is too big for 1280 x 1024. But I'll admit I'm viewing it hyper-critically, which is my point. People will look at mine and think I'm a Landlord with limited design abilities .....

UK Business Network

Your right, haha, done mine to view on mine Pims, OMG! How daft do I feel haha! Just viewed in normal and the website addys are way over to the right! But looks awesome on mine, time to chop it up methinks!