1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Trade Marks

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property & Trademarking' started by Ray Stewart, Aug 24, 2009.

Ray Stewart

Ray Stewart Lab Manager

Does anyone here have experience of registering a name as a trademark? - and knows what is involved...timescale...costs...etc

Any help gratefully received :)

Wana Bee

Wana Bee Graduate

read through this... Intellectual Property Office - Trade marks

You may need help with it though, If so limeone.co.uk are great!

takes alot of research and skill :)

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Wana Bee

Wana Bee Graduate

Good post, shame you wont be staying and adding more value to the community :(

Wana Bee

Wana Bee Graduate

this forum is very good, worth staying here for a little while. I doubt people on this forum will *slam* the project :) Thanks

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Thing is; you can't copyright a business name - it can only be protected by a trade mark.

Visuals are usually (automatically) protected by copyright (logos, photos etc) but not individual, namey, 'wordy things'. ;)

:)

Ray Stewart

Ray Stewart Lab Manager

Thanks for the good advice and the two links. Neither gives much of a hint on costs/fees/protectability but I shall do some more digging.

The whole thing arose because of a conversation I had with a client yesterday afternoon. They have a particularly unusual business name and are looking for a way to protect it. I must admit it is an area I know little about - hence the post.

I have had several clients in the past involved with patents for inventions and that was a horribly expensive route and ended up with next to no protection anyway. It seems someone can copy a patented invention to the last degree as long as they change at least one minor part - and there is nothing to be done to stop them. The only hope is to secure a manufacturing/distribution deal whilst the details are still secret and make as much return as possible until others inevitably (if it is successful) copy it.

I wondered if Trade Marks were equally toothless - or actually worthwhile obtaining for a small to medium sized business - or are they purely for the huge corporations with deep pockets to buy and then legally protect their trademarks?

INDIZINE

INDIZINE Junior Lab Tech

A lot of people get trademarks confused with patents i've noticed. A straightforward application doesn't cost too much in the grand scheme of things however it's the disputes that cost when using lawyers to fight it, not the application cost itself.

They do add value to your business if you plan to use your brand as a selling point.

Shandp

Shandp Applicant

We are a firm of trade mark and patent agents. Trade marks are valuable assets which protect your brands and business. If a third party attempts to trade on your goodwill it is difficult and costly to take action without a valid trade mark registration. The registration process itself, dependant upon in which countries protection is sought, can be relatively inexpensive.

You can contact us on 0117 9226007 or mail@shpbristol.co.uk for free initial advice. For further information visit our website on SH&P > European Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys

Jon Sutton
    SH&P > European Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys

Ray Stewart

Ray Stewart Lab Manager

Thanks for your input Jon.

Can you be a little more specific than "relatively inexpensive" for a small business to protect it's name just in the UK?

I also recommend you nip over to introductions and formally introduce yourself :)

Shandp

Shandp Applicant