1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Top 10 Tips for Writing a Business Plan

Discussion in 'Business Planning' started by Daniel Ezikel, Feb 23, 2016.

Daniel Ezikel

Daniel Ezikel Applicant

Chic accounting geek

Chic accounting geek Applicant

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

Would you say that these business plans are aimed more towards start-ups?

Or to those with a currently active business looking to expand?

And don't just say both, that's boring.... (y)

jeffnev likes this.
    Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Every business should have a plan so although it's a boring answer it is both. You start with a plan that works for your business, add bits in or take bits out according to what you want to do. The most important thing is to be adaptable, and don't be worried to change the plan if things aren't working the way you thought they would.

Fast Unsecured

Fast Unsecured Applicant

Thank you very much for you informative post. Please continue by posting this type of post. Thanks again

Alex77789

Alex77789 Applicant

Krystsina

Krystsina Freshman

Let me join your discussion ;) I believe that having a business plan for startups is crucial in a way that it helps to understand for yourself how do you see the development of your future business, what do you expect to get in short term and long term, etc. Having a business plan for expansion of a currently active business is important if you are looking for investors, this reason works for startups as well, as most of potential investors will ask a business plan from you not to blindly invest money in just words in the air.

For those who might be interested in creating a business plan, here is the link where you can download business plan templates for free to make it look more professional. There are different types of business plan templates for different purposes: structure samples, checklists, cash budget, and a Business plan presentation.

James Baldock

James Baldock Freshman

I think business plans are important but not in the traditional sense. I blogged about my reasons recently here: http://www.jamesbaldock.co.uk/business-plan-smusiness-plan

I think it's important to think about but don't fuss about downloading a business plan template and filling it all in. Just do some calculations and work out what profit you're likely to make - don't make it more stressful or complicated than needed.

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

Martin Parsons

Martin Parsons Business advice for free, because i want to

Hi, a slightly different perspective on business plans.
    If you need to raise finance, even from friends or family, you really need a business plan which is thorough in terms of both the financial aspect and the operational element. Any bank will want to see forecasts of what you expect to achieve. Yes it's no more than a guess, but a guess is better than nothing.
    A business plan is also intended to act as your target, if you have nothing to aim for how do you measure anything.

But, if you don't need finance, and you are comfortable with a broad plan, a one sheet business plan should be fine. For this type of plan you simply need to put your main focus points:
    1. What you're doing
    2. How you're doing it
    3. What you expect to achieve and when.

Startups or existing business doesn't matter, any plan is better than no plan.

Good luck!

Dewlance

Dewlance Applicant

Thanks but I simply take a pen and textbook and write my business plan on it and after I ready then I execute my plan. This works for me.

Its so easy ;)

Sophia Donald

Sophia Donald Applicant

Alan Potts

Alan Potts Applicant

Thanks for the interesting and useful information.

YourRetailCoach

YourRetailCoach Applicant

Few of the tips for writing a business plan is

• Consider what is competition
    • See your audience
    • Have proof to back up every claim you make
    • Get conventional in all financial estimates and projections. ...
    • Be realistic and logical.

Talha Yeasin

Talha Yeasin Applicant

Every one should follow this

Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana Full-time mom, part-time superhero

If you're going to be technical about it, a business plan is primarily for start-ups.

What active businesses looking to expand would use is a business improvement plan.

Both a business plan and business improvement plan would have similar templates. But the difference is when you write a business plan, you look at the business in general. When writing a business improvement plan, you can make it more specific (adding a new product line/ adding more store locations, etc) and would usually come with a technical plan that details how and when you would implement the improvements.