1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Tip - 20% Discount Trick?

Discussion in 'Accountancy, Finance & Tax' started by BDW, May 25, 2011.

BDW

BDW Guest

My Kaspersky Anti Virus software was due for renewal so I went into their website when I got the reminder and started the purchase process by entering my personal details. Something distracted me and I had to quit out of the program before completing the purchase.

I went back in a couple of minutes later and started again, this time taking it through to completion. A few minutes later I got an email from Kaspersky. "We noticed that you were in the process of making a purchase from our store..." and offering me a voucher code for 20% off. This was obviously triggered by the original process.

Unfortunately by this time I had already paid the full price so I could not get the discount but it may be something worth remembering.

Has anyone saw this on other websites? I am sure Kaspersky will not be the only ones doing it.

Paul Dean

Paul Dean Freshman

I hate to be wise after the fact but Amazon is the cheapest place I've found legit copies of Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, so further readers may be interested. I bought mine for £22 for three licences and single licence copies are available for £18.

To the original question; yes, I have seen this ploy elsewhere but I'm damned if I can remember where.

alanhands

alanhands Applicant

I was reading about this tactic somewhere else last night too but can't remember the details.
    Similarly, but opposite, I also read of a travel booking website increasing the price when someone got distracted and then returned to the booking. Clearing the cookies got a return to the original price. Worth remembering if it ever happens. I think the tactic is designed to stop you continuing to search for a cheaper deal but I can't see it being very successful for the company employing it.

AdamW

AdamW Lab Manager

I'm not sure how I feel about that kind of tactic. Although I appreciate whey they are doing it if it had happened to me I'd feel a little ripped off (and would be asking for the discount :p)

wizzardsblog

wizzardsblog Graduate

aah the "abandoned cart" strategy. Totally pointless if you suddenly put up the price, if a company did that to me, I'd tell them to stuff their product.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

Well i think its always worth a try for these types of things, its like trying to push for 10% off in stores.. may not always get it but worth a try..

Azolla

Azolla Freshman

I'd also feel aggrieved if I'd just paid the full price. I can see why they do it though and if I was them perhaps I would also do it. If they have a good customer services set up I think their best strategy from the point of view of customer relations (and future business) would be to honour the 20% discount to anyone contacting them to complain............

MGarrett

MGarrett Freshman

They will without a doubt offer the 20% off to anyone who "picks up" on this trick.

Mike

BDW

BDW Guest

I have been using it for more than three years with no problems.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

I am a computer tech and I recommend Kaspersky AV. I use it personally and IMO it is a great product. No problems with it at all.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

I have seen this done before mainly with restaurants and luxury products- im not sure how they do this - would love to know :)

iancaddy

iancaddy Freshman

Yea i have come across it before.
    Money off is money off.