1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Time taken to create a psd of a website

Discussion in 'Graphic & Web Design' started by webdesignermanchester, Feb 23, 2011.

webdesignermanchester

webdesignermanchester Freshman

Hi everyone

So just to fix an argument between me and a mate, what timescale does it take to do a psd of a website, I am appealing to the graphic designers out there to help on this one. Then if you were to slice into html/css what timescale would that take?

I am not talking a rush job I am talking a proper job from start to finish!

Thanks

openmind

openmind Freshman

Really is a "how long is a bit of string" question and the complexity of the design.
    I can't answer on the first half of your question but for the slicing and dicing I would say anywhere from an hour to a couple of days dependent on the complexity...

rach27

rach27 Freshman

The same goes for the PSD visual - it depends on how complex the design is to how long it'll take to put together. A visual for an online store showing various products will take longer to do than a visual for a simple brochure site for example.

JamieS

JamieS Applicant

It really depends on site that you're creating. It's normal, that one site takes longer to design, than the other. One client wants to have a simple, clear design, which takes not too much time to design, another wants a super fancy site, which can take like forever to create. So there is no one correct answer.

cosmic_orange

cosmic_orange Applicant

Yep, that's about the size and shape of it. The guys who have replied already are spot on. It all depends on the complexity of the site required. However, if you are using a psd to design the site first, just use the layering correctly for elements.

iamelliot

iamelliot Applicant

Also.. If it's a design from scratch, the's usually a lot of stuff at goes on before photoshop is opened - so things like requirements gathering, sketching, wire framing, sourcing assets etc. all take time, but conversely also save time over going straight into the design stage in photoshop

edd_smith

edd_smith Applicant

Not to mention coding that "little" extra feature such as postcode radius search can take many many hours.

Essentially its hard to say without an exact brief and a full understanding of whats required. Generally a quality site is not a quick one.

Poppy Design

Poppy Design Applicant

well 1 prospective client of mine reckoned £60!! She thought (presumed) that it would take 2 hours and the hourly rate would be £30 per hour... all without asking me!... I had to set her right!

I have done a few of these types of jobs and if it is for a basic brochure style site and only a visual layered PSD with logos, photos and text content supplied by client I would say about 6 - 8 hours work - so whatever the designers hourly rate.
    However you can probably add in 2 - 3 hours to cover all the calls and emails and time spent responding to these ..it's all time!

your-majesty.co.uk

your-majesty.co.uk Applicant

Agreed poppy you do not wish to work for min wage. Can be tough at times.

diggersjohn33

diggersjohn33 Graduate

It can take days/weeks/months.

sdesign1

sdesign1 Graduate

You could just base it on what you want per hour, and work it on that!

dsmith1210

dsmith1210 Applicant

Like as been mentioned by the majority of people here it all depends on the complexity of the website that you are designing for example a simple one/two page brochure website would take less time than a complex e-commerce one. As for the second part of your question to do with slicing the PSD it can take anywhere between a few hours to a few days. Hope this helps :D

LocateAds

LocateAds Applicant

Depending on the complexity about half a day to create the artwork and then a further day to html/CSS all that jazz.

uberbaby

uberbaby Freshman

I've never used slicing - does it not take forever for all the images to download? I find the idea a bit confusing to be honest...

I used to present PDFs of my designs to my developer who would code it straight into HTML / CSS from scratch. I'm about to embark on a site for a different developer, and I will be producing the design in Illustrator (Illustrator is King in my eyes! :tup: - Photoshop bores me), then export its layers to Photoshop for him - thus each element has its own separate layer.

redboatdesign

redboatdesign Applicant

I use illustrator for presentaton and then hand code the CSS and XHTML from this. It's fairly rare for me to slice anything from a PSD. On occasion an external Graphic Design firm will present a PSD that we have to slice.

Paul

appkodes

appkodes Freshman