1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

The Joys of Being Self-Employed

Discussion in 'Women in Business' started by Emma Triplett, Apr 17, 2016.

Emma Triplett

Emma Triplett Applicant

While many professionals who have had major working title alongside their names all their lives, the title self-employed always raises eyebrows. Nonetheless, the joys of being self-employed are unparalleled and I wanted to discuss them today with you.

You might have already embarked on your journey of entrepreneurship or you might be just thinking about it. But what you should do is read all the joys that entrepreneurship brings (not that it doesn’t being any hardships, but let put those aside for today and let’s just focus on the happy life of being an entrepreneur).

What is Self-employment?

It’s simply the art of working for oneself. You are the boss and you may as well be the employee as well unless you are planning to run a business which needs a team. Many successful businesses have had two individuals running a start-up which means that one can be the founder and the other is an active partner. Either ways, you are always going to be the one calling the shots unless you hire a CEO for yourself, which we all know, comes way later.

The Joys of Having a Start-up:

You work your own hours. So individuals who consider 10 am too late to start working in the morning can always hope on to their desks for work at 7 am. It’s all about how you want to manage yourself and you finally get the control to do it.

When you feel like a boss, you work like a boss and nothing but success is on your mind. You aim a target and you work every day to get there. You take pride in ownership and you introduce yourself as the founder of ‘that’ company.

There are no limitations for you. You can envision your company growing as much as you wish and you can work towards it. There will always be growth and big dreams ahead of you which you will enjoy with your own company and nowhere else.

Alternatively, you can always start small and test your waters. There are no promises in your own business since all your success depends on your hard work and a little luck – which is why it is okay to be cautious.

You get a chance every day (maybe not financially but based on your strategy). You don’t have to report to anyone and your success is in your own hands. If you don’t succeed today, you can always hit the drawing board tomorrow.

Ever heard about ‘thinking outside the box’? Well there is no box for you, since you call the shots. You can think in any direction and re-strategize your strategies as many times as you wish.

You throw the biggest party after your first sale because it is a sale you are going to remember for the rest of your life. It is worth celebrating regardless of the amount you get only because it’s your first sale.

You get to choose who works for you and who you work with. Whether you wish to have a partner or keep it a solo-business and whether you wish to have a team of five or fifty, the people working for you are your choice.

In addition to that, you also create your own business rules. A lot of businesses have re-created their working environments to keep their employees and the staff active and interested in working. If you want to have a fun environment, go for it! If you want to give your employees a pool full of balls, why not!

Entrepreneurship is a blank canvas waiting for you to go crazy on it – absolutely your way, no questions asked. That my friend, is the joy of being Self-Employed.

Julia Sta Romana likes this.
    Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

I shall, of course, declare that I am not self employed. I am employed as a director in a company in which I own a significant shareholding.

That means, of course, I have no current experience of self employment. But I do wonder whether the above is a tiny bit rose tinted?

Keith Rollins

Keith Rollins Applicant

The best thing in the world is having own business. For reducing the cost one can hire expert VA from outsourcing companies like STAFF INDIA which will save 80% of the expense.

missyflink

missyflink Freshman

I agree with you. There is no other boss except you!

missyflink

missyflink Freshman

Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana Full-time mom, part-time superhero

Being self employed gives you the freedom to spend your time doing the things your love with the people you love. That's the biggest perk for me!

Boult93

Boult93 Freshman

Totally agreed with you Julia Sta Romana, being self employed you don't have to follow 9 to 5 routine.

RLora254

RLora254 Applicant

Yes. That's totally true. However in such a case you always need to push yourself, cause there is no one else to check on to your work on push you.

missyflink

missyflink Freshman

Exactly! Plus you have more time for your family. That's the best part!

Jess_8

Jess_8 Applicant

I fully agree with all of you. For women that might be really helpful because if she has kids to take care of this can give you flexibility and you can make more time to spend with your kids/family.