1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

The Demise of English Grammar

Discussion in 'Humour' started by Duncan, Jun 18, 2015.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

<Warning! Your PayPal account has been limited! And Recieved Automatic Cancellation Request! As part of our security measures, we proceed regularly screen activity to learn PayPal recently contacted you after having identified a problem on your Account.>

.....these challenger banks are clearly better at writing code rather than English. I suppose the rize in txt spk hs csd ths.

To be fair once I had given them my entire password suite and personal information they reactivated my account. I just hope they send my passport and credit cards back to me by registered post.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

LOL -- oops sorry - Laugh out loud!

What irks me is Google chrome - *do you want to save this password* - options - Yes and Nope??? really!

BarneyBlue23

BarneyBlue23 Trainee Lab Tech

oh dear I had to read this 3 times to understand it

I suppose the rize in txt spk hs csd ths.

:beaver:

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

Ha! Thanks Duncan that made me laugh.

MichelleBrown

MichelleBrown Applicant

Ha!

What cracked me completely was the 'and' at the beginning of the sentence "And Recieved Automatic Cancellation Request!"

It's like - "YEAH - Your account is limited now! And and, (wait, there's more) and it received cancellation request, yeah!

Toastking

Toastking Trainee Lab Tech

It's the rise of texting and twitter where the format encourages and in Twitters case enforces the need to cut things down and so people are happier than ever to cut things down and get things wrong and move on.

CygnusB

CygnusB Graduate

This is an interesting article.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/15/steven-pinker-10-grammar-rules-break

My favourite part:
    and, because, but, or, so, also

Many children are taught that it is ungrammatical to begin a sentence with a conjunction. That's because teachers need a simple way to teach them how to break sentences, so they tell them that sentences beginning with "and" and other conjunctions are ungrammatical. Whatever the pedagogical merits may be of feeding children misinformation, it is inappropriate for adults.

There is nothing wrong with beginning a sentence with a conjunction. "And", "but" and "so" are indispensable in linking individual sentences into a coherent passage, and they may be used to begin a sentence whenever the clauses being connected are too long or complicated to fit comfortably into a single megasentence.

The conjunction "because" can also happily sit at the beginning of a sentence. Most commonly it ends up there when it introduces an explanation that has been preposed in front of a main clause, as in: "Because you're mine, I walk the line." But it can also kick off a single clause when the clause serves as the answer to a why question: "'Why can't I have a pony?' 'Because I said so.'"

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Grammar and vocabulary change with the wind. Being aware of what is flavour of the month/year/decade and complying with or breaking with convention to suit is the skill we should teach youngsters.

Hence I'm grooming my sales assistant has a different implication to I'm coaching my sales assistant. Tell Mrs Cygnus her outfit looks bland next time she wears neutral colours and earn yourself negative brownie points lol.

Adam H

Adam H Have a Break, Have a KitKat

I don't think its text talk or shorthand style twitter sentences which is the reason for these "chirpy" phrases being implemented on websites, operating systems and applications like Chrome, I think its the transition which has taken place over the past 5 years with mobile/tablets bringing more people online than ever in a hugely diverse age range, the whole non-official type style of phrases is designed to be more friendly and less like its some technological mind field for non-tech savy individuals to grasp.

Could it have gone too far.........maybe, did it have the desired effect in bringing a more human friendly appearance to the internet..........yes with out a doubt. Do most people care.....probably not.