1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

The Best Way To Get Attention In An Online Business

Discussion in 'SEO, Social Media & Web Marketing' started by CustomProcessSolutions, Aug 20, 2012.

CustomProcessSolutions

CustomProcessSolutions Freshman

Hi!

We are looking at starting an online company based around business process improvements in programs such asExcel.

We will be solely based online and are in the process of reserving our domain name.

Once we have it and are up and running what have people found as the best way of generating new business?

Thanks all!

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

A business forum, I'd say. ;)

CustomProcessSolutions

Yeah thats what i was thinking :)

Just trying to get ourselves off the ground so we're trying to get our first customers,
    plus this appears to be one of if not the biggest business forum i could find online

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

It's not the biggest - it's by far the best though in terms of quality. ;)

CustomProcessSolutions

Ah good to know!
    Well hopefully will be working with some people from the forums in the future! :)

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

You have to be ready to combine offline and online. They are the same world, in fact.

Business forums, blogs, Facebook and Twitter (others too) are all ways of building visibility for you and for your business, but never regard them as disconnected with other methods too.

Stefanb

Stefanb Applicant

I would start by drilling down into a niche and be far more specific than just business process improvement for different programmes.

I would drill down to an industry niche then again into a specific type of business improvement. You can add more services but target any business, you end up targetting nobody!

For example... Helping software companies calcluate ROI on XYZ... or Excel Training for Sales Trainees to help improve forecasting and budgeting...

Once you decide who you are targetting, then you can work out where to go to pinpoint them... makes lead generation much easier!

Hope that helps!

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

I do believe that forums are a good way to promote an online business, however they are not enough. In my opinion a good marketing strategy should be a very good mix of both off-line and on-line techniques, so that you will be able to get visible to your target niche and hopefully gain their trust.

andrew0101

andrew0101 Freshman

I am new to social media but my belief is that it will make my business successful as it is by far the most powerful medium. Naturally the utopia is to go global, viral or whatever term means that you have found the golden egg. But I am having to do everything on a very low budget and learn new skills and ways of working and so far I have had some levels of success. By far the best thing I have ever done is write a blog. It is not easy to find content all the time, plus it is also finding the balance of how often to write. However the real beauty of a blog is that you can write, obviously within reason, what you like. It is a means to express yourself and your views. It can be used to promote your business and add an extra marketing tool. I would recommend that any business who wants to put out an additional message writes a blog and just enjoys doing it. You never know who will read it or what impact that wil have.

Onlineadwhiz

Onlineadwhiz Applicant

There are so many ways to get your business out there. Utilising social media is a great way to get new business, it takes time but is powerful like Andrew0101 suggests. I also think if you're web-based, PPC and SEO are other ways to get new business. PPC will give you quick results. You need to way up costs and budgets though.

Rule number one: Set out a strategy!

richardtj

richardtj Applicant

Online works wonders and business forums will generate potential leads. However, I think a business model and product like that may benefit from Linkedin as there's a lot of Small business owners on there who could benefit from this.

wnye

wnye Applicant

Social media is increasingly growing in importance for SEO search algorithms if SEOmoz are to be believed and is worth pursuing if your business can use it effectively.

Blogging can also be an effective way of generating unique content that relevant to your particular niche and can drive traffic to your main website.

mocean

mocean Applicant

Online business can all done from social media and mobile business solution, which are much cheaper and reliable for everyone.

ROiBOT

ROiBOT Graduate

100mph

100mph Applicant

ballpark figure of your marketing budget?...

WHUK

WHUK Applicant

One of the best ways to get attention in the online business is by planning regular campaigns. They can be online or offline campaigns. With this, people will start recognizing your brand. Also create profiles on the social networking websites and create a group if possible. You can post the offers in the group page. While engaging in the social media websites, it is also important to respond to the posts made by other people and grow the network gradually. These techniques will be beneficial for the online business.

Mark likes this.
    casssimplyb

casssimplyb Freshman

I would agree with Stefan, who made an earlier post about "drilling down the niche" of your business. Good strategies in this area include: finding niche partners, networking with business owners who are leaders in the niche and researching innovations in the niche.

Also, I would argue that what can really help you stand out and get noticed online is development of great, interactive content, which benefits your potential customers. This may include guides, video tutorials or presentations. You need to find out what kind of information your customers are looking for and help them find it (for free).

If you give something of value, you are likely to get back valuable and loyal customers.

Mark likes this.
    Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd

Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Applicant

Definitely start blogging, using decent tags and keywords. We started this a few months back and are getting around 30-40 hits on our site everyday as a result. We use Twitter as well, and promote the blog on there.

Recommend using a LinkedIn company page, as well as FreeIndex, and all of the business forums you can get your hands on.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Ryan

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

A 'viral campaign' was touched-on above. I would think it's either incredible skill or incredible luck that will get you a viral campaign that's successful.

Force Digital

Force Digital Applicant

Get a good understanding of your target market and the methods to reach them. Once you have this nailed you can start putting a strategy together. Promote yourself as an expert in this particular niche and build a following using social media, forums and PR (on and offline). Find out about associations in this sector and if they have a members list that you could target.

Mark likes this.