1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

The Best Shopping Cart

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by AleXanDr., Apr 23, 2013.

paulfeakins

paulfeakins Graduate

Find Accountants

Find Accountants FREE LEADS! SEE SIGNATURE Premium Member

I would have said PayPal myself, however, can anyone tell me if Worldpay is any good as well?

Does Actinic come with it's own shopping cart?

Thanks.

ptorres

ptorres Freshman

My preference is Prestahop.
    I love Paul Feakins recommendations above too.

Idosell

Idosell Applicant

What you really like to do there ?
    What you would like to sell?
    How many items ?

ProDemon

ProDemon Graduate Premium Member

The best shopping cart really varies depending on what YOU want to get out of it, your best bet would be to figure out what you want and need from a cart, then look through the carts available and try a few to see what's best for YOU, even most paid or hosted carts (such as ours) have a free trial, no-one says you need to continue if you don't like it.

Many carts offer many features, although some are clunkier to get around than others when it comes to simple things like putting an item on sale, assigning store credit, creating voucher codes and gift certificates, some may work better with physical goods, but if selling digital goods, some will have better security features than others (for example our hosted cart has a download time limit and attaches a unique code to the download so even if the link is shared it expires after the time set by the store admin), some will allow multiple account levels (for example retail and wholesale), the list goes on!

Also, will you be the only admin or will you allow others access to the back end, if so what tasks do you want to allow them to do (for example you won't want to give them full access as a disgruntled employee may change the PayPal email address or something or take the site down), so if looking to allow back end access to others then you would need something where you can set not only multiple admin but also their permissions appropriate to their job description.

Hope this helps!

Brian Moreau

Brian Moreau Trainee Lab Tech

The best shopping cart is one you have made yourself.
    I never use any generic applications, everything I do is bespoke and there are lots of reasons for this.
    Generic apps always come with features you don’t need and without features you do need.
    Generic apps never quite fit your sites infrastructure and you generally have to modify your site to make it fit and work.
    When generic apps fail or suffer security breaches then 1000’s of sites are affected, being totally independent means you’re still running when they are not.
    I could go on….

simpleearth

simpleearth Natural Skin Care

I have magento with Paypal and Amazon checkout, recently Amazon checkout is proving more popular.

r davidson

r davidson Applicant

I've been using templates for low cost and speed of delivery for a while - many of which (as mentioned) offer e-commerce - such as [URLnf="http://themeforest.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=ecommerce"]Ecommerce | ThemeForest[/URLnf]

You might also like to look at some of the smaller businesses that offer more bespoke ecommerce platforms such as [URLnf="http://www.purpletuesday.co.uk"]Website, Software and App Development - Norwich, Norfolk UK[/URLnf]. You'll pay more, but it does give you the opportunity to develop in your own direction.

mrlogodesign

mrlogodesign Freshman

I'm currently modifying the hell out of open cart, ill let you know how it goes!

RedTapeDoc

RedTapeDoc Applicant

PayPal has worked well for us.... had no manger problems in 5 years. Nice to see them advertising on TV now

Helen_45

Helen_45 Applicant

I used to work with OpenCart because it's a powerful, open source shopping cart system that is designed feature rich and user friendly. This CMS is for those who would like to get under the hood, you can delve into changing the css and other files to make your own adjustments to how your site looks and functions. It's possible to create filters by frame, colour, size, lenses of glasses. In OpenCart there is the the system of categorization, so you can create as many categories of googs as possible. There're many types of currencies, payment systems (paypal, visa/mastercard, American Express...), a simple checkout just in 1 page (additional extension). Here also you can create invoices for the clients.

Sop13

Sop13 Applicant

Have you looked at your Ecommerce package? It may include payment integration options. You may find also that by collaborating with a payment service provider will allow you to offer credit card payments.

annaya

annaya Applicant

Paypal is the best of all.

kbos2hm

kbos2hm Applicant

I don't really think there is a best shopping cart as a developer plus a person that works in this field knows.

Most carts can be made safe

Carts such as Paypal are good if you are just starting off just dipping your toes in e commerce

after a certain amount over £500 in sales it works out very expensive

as far as my customers go i opt for either

oscommerce or Ubercart

it does all come down really to ticket value and how many transactions

Streamline sagepay paymentsense CutPay will integrate carts but not always make them safe. Make sure they will help you with PCI compliance whatever cart you are using.

for efficiency get your host provider to deal with that.

moonbeauty

moonbeauty Applicant

I have personally used tomato cart, I love the functionality of this however I have issues with the password resetting back end. Otherwise brilliant software, open source but would require a web-master.

I hear a lot of big corporate customers are using magneto, zen cart but these require a web master and a lot of money to be configured right.

Open cart I would strongly recommend, really flexible, plugs in to about every thing, paypal, royal mail, carriers e.g fedex, ups, usps etc.

Hope this helps :)

moonbeauty

moonbeauty Applicant

Lol that did make me giggle! :)

AaronH

AaronH Applicant

Definitely a big fan of Woocommerce after trying quite a few different carts.

If you need extra functionality and can't find a plugin to suit it's relatively easy to code it, or find a Wordpress developer to help.

I've been involved with installations that have been connected to till systems for live stock updates so there's very little it can't do.

Where I used to work we tried Magento which I thought was pretty good but the office staff used to hate using it to update products, complete opposite after switching to Woocommerce. Also Magento needs a decent hosting setup, not to mention I used to break into a cold sweat every time the boss wanted some weird and wonderful functionality adding to the site.

appkodes

appkodes Freshman

Multi vendor shopping cart was far cool and reliable

Ruby Sienna

Ruby Sienna Applicant

very nice ...