1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

The best online payments processor?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by jastreet1, Aug 24, 2011.

JPM

JPM Junior Lab Tech

Personally Paypal has nothing short of brilliant for me on a couple of sites. From experience, its a grwat system for taking payments via credit and debit cards. I do think their commission percentage is a little high though.

JPM

JPM Junior Lab Tech

Actually, you should take a look at http://jumio.com if you are looking for something innovative. It's a new start-up by Facebook Co-Founder Eduardo Saverin,

Basically. They appear to have patented (pending anyway) a camera system which scans your credit card on your desktop or laptop to make a payment.

Sounds a little risky at first, but after reading it does sound very sophisticated. I guess there was also hesitancy about any online payments online a couple of years ago. Take a look here for more info'...

How does Netswipe work? | Jumio - Netswipe

fizza

fizza Freshman

I'm late to this discussion, but there are some points in Paypal's favour:

1 - Price: it's effectively 'pay per transaction', which works out cheaper when you're starting out. You also don't need a merchant account.

We looked into more traditional payment providers, and it seemed to me you were paying 2 monthly fees straight off the bat: 1) for the payment provider and 2) for the merchant account. Sometimes you have to add transaction fees to that. In time that will work out more cheaply, but it's not a great starting place.

2- It's very well known, almost everyone who shops on the internet will have come across it

3 - you don't need a Paypal account to pay. This has already been discussed - and it's true customers still think they need one! :eek: So tell them they don't. And another thing, as BDW pointed out - the reason the 'don't have an account?' link is so small on that screenshot is because someone on that machine DOES have a Paypal account. Paypal sets a persistent cookie which causes that screen to be displayed.

If no-one on the machine has an account, you really do see a completely different screen: a large form for card details to the left: and the traditional PP login to the right. So don't be scared off, as I was to start with. :)

BDW

BDW Guest

Moonshine-PZ

Moonshine-PZ Applicant

I'd absolutely recommend PayPal. They process around 9 to 10,000 payments a year for us. It is the only processor we use. We ship a physical product (in the UK) and I can honestly say that I am more than 99.9% satisfied with PayPal.
    You do see plenty of "paypal sucks" type of rants and forums, but sadly most of the complaints are from people who have been the authors of their own misfortune or ignorance of the direct selling regulations etc when you delve into the details.
    I'd say that even if you have some other main processor, it is madness not to take paypal as well, given the number of users.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
    cornishhosting

cornishhosting Freshman

Yes another for Paypal most people have a paypal account and i think everyone with an online business should use them.

sally_b

sally_b Freshman

Thanks fizza for letting me know that if you didn't have a PayPal account you got shown a large form for card details instead of a small one and thanks BDW for supplying the screenshot!
    I had only seen the version with the smaller link (as I have already got a PayPal account)

WCComputers

WCComputers Freshman

PayPal has always been the best payment method for us too. It's efficient, reliable and user friendly; plus when you sell products online like we do, it's a legitimate selling point to customers to see we use PayPal, as it's such a trusted payment method.

Claire

fizza

fizza Freshman

Glad to help sally_b! :)
    The checkout screen was modified recently, but the principle is the same: if you have the Paypal cookie the login screen is to the fore, if not, it isn't.

Rain Defence Roofing

Rain Defence Roofing Applicant

Are you guys paying fees on your paypal transactions? I have only really used it through ebay and of course there are fees involved.

fizza

fizza Freshman

Yes, the fees are the same as ebay for standard paypal transactions.

They have a 'Pro' option if you start turning over £50K or more - then there is a set monthly fee and lower transaction charge.

https://www.paypal-business.co.uk/accept-credit-cards-on-a-website-with-paypal/index.htm

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

I highly rate paypal as its so easy and secure and it can be easily integrated into your business. The fee isnt that high either and you can always cover this cost by integrating it into your prices.

diggersjohn33

diggersjohn33 Graduate

PayPal has received some absolute dog rough PR as of late. Freezing accounts, booting people off their systems.

Rely on it at your mercy, I'd say!

John
    :D

BDW

BDW Guest

Paypal is the biggest online payment processor in the world (by a country mile) with more than 230 million account holders. It is a known fact that people are more likely to comment on problems than good service.

With that number of account holders complaints and a certain number of unhappy customers is inevitable. This is nothing new and it has to be kept in perspective. ;)

collateit

collateit Applicant

Paypal might be OK if your doing a few transactions or your using PayPal Pro so it's integrated onto your site but the fees can get quite high as they're acting as both a payment gateway and merchant account.

There's a tipping point at which point it becomes more cost effective to move to a merchant account and use a payment gateway. Personally I'd stay away from SagePay (formally Protx). Since they've been "Saged" they are not the most reliable.

I would recommend Realex or IridiumCorp . So I pay £19 month for the payment gateway and then less that 1.6% for card payments and about 20p for debit cards. Plus every year I re-negotiate my card payments and bring the % down based upon previous revenue.

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

Has anyone used Eazipay for managing direct debits?

Iresources

Iresources Applicant

You have a choice between paypal standard which re-directs payments to the paypal website and although you dont need a paypal account it will strongly promote registering for one. Or you could try paypal pro which allows you to take payments within your website both credit/debit cards and paypal payments. Paypal pro charges £20 a month plus fees the application process takes a bit longer and be prepared for a reserve to be added to your account particulary if you are a new business

PayPoint.net

PayPoint.net Freshman

For those you you who are hunting for a new provider, in case you haven't seen already there is a new payment processing comparison site - PaymentBrain.co.uk - good snapshot of most providers in the UK. Is also up to date.

paulfeakins

paulfeakins Graduate

I haven't used CardSave but they look good, has anyone used them?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
    AdamW

AdamW Lab Manager

I'm very anti PayPal at the moment after the vetting department made a bit of a mistake and instead of apologising are now ignoring me. Quite pathetic behaviour and I will avoid at all costs now.