1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

The best online payments processor?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by jastreet1, Aug 24, 2011.

jastreet1

jastreet1 Applicant

Hi all, I am new here so please don't bite!

I have switched my business accounts and online merchant provider and so, in an effort to save money and perhaps getting a better service (after a not so successful experience with Sage Pay), I am on the hunt for a better payment processor.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Some will say PayPal. Credit/Debit card processing - and with 230 million accounts globally, you must be mad not to accept it!

jbarnett

jbarnett Graduate

Mark's right but there are always customers out there who don't have a PayPal account... especially the older generation.

I would recommend using both PayPal and another - such as CardSave or CardStream. Only using PayPal could result in many would be customers turning to a competitor.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

PayPal processes both credit and debit cards - and the customer doesn't need a PayPal account to do so. :)

BDW

BDW Guest

It's actually quite amazing how many people still think that you need a Paypal account to make a payment. this has not been a requirement for (guess) about six years but this perception remains.

jbarnett

jbarnett Graduate

Interesting, when I first started using it - back in the day, it was all about having a PayPal account to make transactions. Funny how things change - I'm just more familiar with the likes of SagePay and other card transactor companies these days.

I'm currently setting up an eCommerce site for my sister so I might just take another look at PayPal - could save a lot of time and effort (and money - especially since they're not paying me! The things you do out of the good of your heart eh?!)

matt.chatterley

matt.chatterley Web & Software Developer Premium Member

Although if memory serves, the link to pay without signing up is relatively small and might be missed at a casual glance?

I'm not a big fan of PayPal in many ways, but it's hard to beat for convenience, at times!

AdamW

AdamW Lab Manager

Optimal Payments were very good when I used them.

Mat

Mat Trainee Lab Tech

It's also now disabled by default. If you open a PayPal account and want to accept payments from folk without an account, you have to dig through the back-end settings and enable the feature.

BDW

BDW Guest

On the contrary Paypal tell us right at the outset on their website https://www.paypal-business.co.uk/ that "Your customers don’t even need a PayPal account". This is a prominent part of their unique selling point.

Setting this up is just a case of selecting the option in your account preferences. ;)

Mat

Mat Trainee Lab Tech

Which is exactly what I just said.

They're using the fact that you don't need an account as a selling point for businesses. However, with the other hand, they're trying to discourage use of the service in that way (or encourage use of the signed up service) by disabling the feature by default, and making the 'pay without an account' link all but hidden on the checkout page.

BDW

BDW Guest

Not to labour the point but it is not exactly what you said.

You said that you have to "dig through the back end settings" but in actual fact it is a simple option setting that you choose when setting up your account. As with most processes of this type there are lots of options and the new user is instructed to set these up according to personal preference.

The simple fact is that Paypal exists to make a profit and they make more money from people who sign up. They had the choice of defaulting this setting to pay with account or pay without account. They had to chose one so they chose the one that makes them the most money while allowing people to change this if required.

Simples! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
    Mat

Mat Trainee Lab Tech

I used the term "dig through the back-end settings" to highlight the point that it isn't enabled by default because PayPal would really rather you left it that way. I'm not knocking them for it, but it's relevant to the thread because PayPal might not be the best choice if you want customers to be able to make easy payments without thinking they need to sign up.

If you have a point, it's going over my head.

BDW

BDW Guest

I could say the same.

Mat

Mat Trainee Lab Tech

You could, but it wouldn't bode well for your MENSA application.

My point, which is relevant to the thread, is that PayPal might not be the best choice for a simple checkout because they make it deliberately difficult to make a purchase without signing up.

BDW

BDW Guest

Forgetting your unnecessary sarcasm my point is that they do not make it difficult and I think it is relevant to the thread that this is clarified. I am not sure that you actually know how Paypal works. If no "already a member" cookie is set on the purchaser's PC then the option to purchase without signing up is quite clear on the screen that is displayed to them.

Paypal did not become the success that it has by making it difficult to make purchases. That goes without saying and I would not call this "hiding" it. https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/general/OptionalAccount-outside

Mat

Mat Trainee Lab Tech

They did earn the perceived knowledge, as demonstrated in this thread, that you can't purchase from PayPal without an account.

The 'pay without an account' link is far from obvious and, as Matt points out, a casual visitor would miss it. Add to that the fact that you have to proactively enable the feature for it to display at all, and I'd say the evidence points towards them making it difficult.

[​IMG]

BDW

BDW Guest

And you are not going to be convinced otherwise.

diggersjohn33

diggersjohn33 Graduate

Google Checkout is rather useful too but in terms of mass demographic... PayPal has to be your choice :)

bluebox

bluebox Applicant

Hey; do you mind me asking what issues you had with SagePay? We genuinley don't have many problems with them at all.