1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Teaching Children about business...

Discussion in 'General Business Talk' started by Toni Rose, Aug 5, 2015.

Toni Rose

Toni Rose Graduate

Do you think it's important to teach children about business and money from an early age? How would you do this?

There are many studies out there showing how children that were tough about finance and money handling from an early age grew up to be more successful. Me and my 3 (nearly 4) year old son play shops and role play games all the time because he absolutely loves 'being in charge and making the rules'. So if we are already playing I see it as why not teach him what I know about business and customer service, including the importance of money. Obviously I keep it very basic and we always make it fun but why wait if they are already encouraging you to show them by asking to play the games?

Silverisametal likes this.
    thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

I think it's extremely important to teach children about business and money from the early age. The should be taking part in classes, simulations and events about that. I also think we should be talking about the legal matters of business and what to watch out for, dos and don'ts of taking part in the modern economy.

mapletree

mapletree Freshman

I agree - When I have children I'll be teaching them as much as I can as soon as they understand why not give them every possible opportunity you can while they still have the patience to sit down and listen to you!

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

I have a slightly different take on this.

My own childhood was blissful. I played, larked about and had fun. I had no worries. I did not think for one moment about business until at least 16 years of age, and then not really.

Yet I managed to have a strong career, and after that, to run my own businesses.

The gift I most value from my school days which I believe helped me to achieve that was a work ethic, and a strong respect of those in authority.

Which makes me realise that I am just too old fashioned to have any possible opinion on what might benefit children in 2015

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

I often teach my 5 year old about taxes etc..... I take him to the shop for some ice cream, then i eat it (y)

mapletree likes this.
    Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

I think you have it exactly right.

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

I was always made to work for my pocket money. The job list was horrendous for 30p per week.... *sniffs*

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

I used to mow my mother's lawn (3 acres), took around 3-4 hours to do properly, for £5 once a week. £1.25 an hour? :(

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

£5 per week? Luxury - - when I were a lad...... (and so on hehe)

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I think it's more important now more than ever to teach children the basics about money if not business.
    There has been gap in education for going on 20 years I'd say that hasn't prepared the last two generations of kids for living and coping with credit and bankruptcy. It's seen as the norm, to go bankrupt if you've spent too much because you can't pay it back and this is wrong, and generally blights those hard working people who have a genuine need to go bankrupt.

Anybody who can't manage money to some degree or realise they need somebody to manage it for them, will never make it in business.

So Toni Rose - well done you!

Mal Jacobs

Mal Jacobs Applicant

We live close to the seaside. My 10 year old started selling drift wood online with a gentle push from me. The mini business is drifting along nicely for him on ebay, he gets the idea of requiring more and more stock and is always happy when we get stormy weather

jeffnev

jeffnev Graduate

I am not sure whether or not it is a necessity and it is certainly not something I utilised with my children. They should be free to enjoy their childhoods without having these ideas inserted into them, much better to let them enjoy themselves and enter into the sphere if they so wish to.