1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Speeding up Wordpress...

Discussion in 'Domains & Hosting' started by Southern Charm Coffee Co, May 7, 2016.

Southern Charm Coffee Co

Southern Charm Coffee Co Coffee Enthusiast

Sometimes my website - which runs off Wordpress - is a little slow to load. I read a lot of advice online that said the W3 Total Cache plug in could help speed things up, so I installed it and followed the guide online.

I now find that it's slower to load. The Pingdom Website Speed Test used to show that the site was 76% slower than other websites tested, and it now suggests that it's 85% slower.

Can anyone help on advice on how to speed things up? :(

Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes Applicant

Hi,

Do you have lots of plugins installed? If you have too many plugins installed (and they haven't been written very well), this can really increase the resource usage from WordPress. A good caching plugin should speed up your site because between changes, the site should be rendered once and stored as static HTML files.

Do you have lots of images? If so these will slow down the page loading and increase the Pingdom speed test time even if the page itself is being returned from the server quickly.

Additionally, note that external resources such as Facebook social widgets will slow down your speed time on Pingdom. You should take a look at the statistics which Pingdom gives to see which content is loading slowly. Is it the actual page? Is it the imagery? Is it external resources? It could be all of these things, if you post your website address here I can give more advice.

Some tips to speed up your website:
    - Upgrade to PHP 7
    - Enable PHP's opcache (if your host supports this)
    - Make sure images aren't being loaded too large, look at image compression/resizing plugins
    - Consider a CDN for serving static content such as images. CloudFlare offers a free CDN.

Your hosting provider should be able to look at your website and offer more personalised advice to help squeeze the extra milliseconds.

Also one last note on Pingdom. If e.g. your host's server is in the UK and Pingdom is testing from a default location such as Texas, this will slow down your website loading and give a slower time, however this won't reflect the load time for your visitors in the UK who are closer to the server.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Mike

Southern Charm Coffee Co

Hi Mike

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm good with coffee, not so good with web stuff.

Google tools ranks the site 72/100 for speed and they've highlighted similar things to yourself.

I've deleted the plugins that I don't use and there's only really one left that isn't essential - but it's one I like - and that's the live chat option for a visitor to talk to one of the team if they have questions. The plugins that I have left on either are Woocommerce, SSL, site stats or sitemaps.

I did have quite heavy images in terms of file size, but ran them all through https://tinypng.com to bring them down. Most came down around 50% in terms of file size. From the Pingdom test, it looks like it's still images being flagged up as slow loading.

I'll talk to my host and see what they say. I'm under the impression that their servers are in Arizona. However, at this point I only ship to customers in the UK - so maybe a UK server would help?

As requested, my web address is: www.southerncharmcoffee.co

tombuckers

tombuckers All round good Guy!

Cloudflare is a good option if you want a one time basic fix. 90% of our sites run through cloudflare and it does help, although not that much in my honest opinion.
    Reducing image size - Just use the plugin called smushit, this automatically does everything without you having to do anything complex.
    It may be your hosting too. Hit Mike up for a VPS above and that will help. I'm sure if you ask him nicely he will give you a discount too ;).

I also have a wordpress site speed guy if you can't find a fix, he's quite expensive £150 one time fee but he is very good.

tombuckers

Also, pick up a premium wordpress theme rather than a free one, those are 100 times better and usually improve the speed.

Southern Charm Coffee Co

Looking into smushit now - thanks for that.

Very true on the hosting - I have been chatting to my current host (NameCheap) about this so I'll see where that goes. Happy to look at other hosts should I need to though :)

I've been told the exact opposite of that as well - that premium tend to be much heavier? Though I guess both sides of that view could be sweeping generalisations?

tombuckers

Hosting wise if you're serious about the business site then stay away from shared hosting. You can pick up a VPS for £15 / month nowadays that will suit you better.

Premium themes are better hands down. Obviously you're going to get the ones that are a bit rubbish, premium themes can have more things integrated for sure but they are generally coded a lot better.

Asher ross

Asher ross Applicant

Don't overload your website with lot of information and images. Use optimised images which are SEO specific. Don't install a lot of plugins and install plugins which are SEO optimised. This can help in some extent to make your website load faster. Use an effective cache plugin. Deploy a content delivery network. Your WordPress database should be optimised.

Southern Charm Coffee Co

Thanks, everyone, for tips/advice/help on this thread - much appreciated.

We've put a lot of things in place now and we're where I'd want to be speed wise :)

HostXNow

HostXNow Applicant

You could customise .htaccess too and use something like Varnish and that will help a lot.

sin123

sin123 Freshman

check your plugin installed.

PhilTechie

PhilTechie Applicant

I agree with Mike, all he mentioned will help any WordPress sites to improve it's load time. If still face slow loading speed for WordPress then you should check if your hosting providers server is setup/optimized for WordPress sites, As now-a-days many providers provides WordPress friendly hosting plans, this servers are specially configured to host WordPress sites.