1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Side Line Motorcycle Accessories Business Start Up Advice

Discussion in 'Business Advice for Start-ups' started by Swinp22, Mar 22, 2014.

Swinp22

Swinp22 Applicant

Hi All,

I am currently looking into starting up a side line business (I work full time at present) selling motorcycle accessories. Business isn't one of my fortay’s but I'm a determined person and willing to learn!

I have looked into where I am going to buy stock from and how I am going to sell the products but I've stumbled across a few other queries that I am hoping you guys can help me out with;

A) Company Type - Which type of company (sole trader/ Ltd) would best suit a small company? I’m not looking to create a market leading company - just a company that I can run alongside my full time work and as I have a passion for motorbikes, selling accessories to raise extra money is an exciting prospect!

B) I am currently living at home (I’m in the process of buying a house but as with these things it’s never a quick process!!) and part of the requirements when my parents bought the house was that they are not allowed to run business from the address. Are there any ways around this? Or will I more than likely have wait until I move into my new property to set the company up?

C) Insurance - What type of liability insurance would I need for this type of business. This is a topic that worries me the most as people these days seem to sue for just about anything!! This is probably just me being over paranoid but what are secure measures you can put in place to prevent/ reduce this?

D) General Business Costs - What are the main outgoings? I have things like web design/ advertising/ marketing sorted but what are the other monthly costs (roughly) of things like insurance, business bank accounts, etc?

Hopefully I have given enough detail to get some useful responses?

If anyone also has any additional advice for setting up a side line business and the processes I would very much like to hear from you!!

Thanks

Peter

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Peter - what value of annual sales do you expect to make in the first couple of years - £10k?, £50K?, £100K?

It will give me a sense of scale which will affect how I answer your other questions.

Also what is the range of value of the items you will be selling e.g. £1 to £500 per item?

Cheers

Duncan

Mark likes this.
    Swinp22

Swinp22 Applicant

Hi Duncan

Approx £5k in first year £10k in second. Only a very rough estimate - I will of course be aiming to turn over as much as possible.

Products will range from £5 - £400

Thanks

Pete

Duncan

Ok - so I'm assuming either 50 customers average spend £100 or 100 customers average spend £50.

Swinp22

Swinp22 Applicant

I would say 100 customers average spend £50 - or 200 customers average £25 spend

Duncan

Based on the level of activity above;

A) Company Type - Which type of company (sole trader/ Ltd) would best suit a small company? I’m not looking to create a market leading company - just a company that I can run alongside my full time work and as I have a passion for motorbikes, selling accessories to raise extra money is an exciting prospect!

Sole Trader.

B) I am currently living at home (I’m in the process of buying a house but as with these things it’s never a quick process!!) and part of the requirements when my parents bought the house was that they are not allowed to run business from the address. Are there any ways around this? Or will I more than likely have wait until I move into my new property to set the company up?

If you can run it discretely from an indoor room it is no more than some people do on ebay so I wouldn't worry too much. However, if you are going to have bikers queuing down the street and stock spread out the front of the house maybe wait till you have your own place and again don't annoy the neighbours!

C) Insurance - What type of liability insurance would I need for this type of business. This is a topic that worries me the most as people these days seem to sue for just about anything!! This is probably just me being over paranoid but what are secure measures you can put in place to prevent/ reduce this?

Third Party Liability in case you kill a customer by dropping a helmet on their head! Maybe PI cover if you are going to be giving advice? Stock insurance if you are going to carry much stock.

D) General Business Costs - What are the main outgoings? I have things like web design/ advertising/ marketing sorted but what are the other monthly costs (roughly) of things like insurance, business bank accounts, etc?

Your time. Book Keeper unless you are doing it yourself. Insurance (you can get indications online - some advertise in banners on this site), Computer, thank you gifts to your parents, postage and packaging, banks give 2 years free banking.

Duncan

PS Good luck with it and enjoy the learning and all being well the profits after tax.

Mark likes this.
    Swinp22

Swinp22 Applicant

Thanks Duncan, much appreciated

Pete