1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Selling from a Website. What do you use?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Drachsi, Jan 26, 2013.

Drachsi

Drachsi Freshman

If you sell products or services online, customers expect to pay in a format that suits them. PayPal is well known, but does everybody use it, or is something like WorldPay more acceptable?

Drachsi

DMD Mobile Car Valeting Services

DMD Mobile Car Valeting Services Applicant

For me I would go for PayPal, as most people no about this name/brand (A trust thing), World Pay and others offer the same sort of services and some have different fees that are involved, but I guess its down to what you feel is best for your business.

Dave

Iwannamakemoney likes this.
    Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

I have trust issues with sites that don't offer PayPal!

Iwannamakemoney and Drachsi like this.
    JamieM

JamieM Applicant

I always like to offer SagePay (or any other way to offer direct credit/debit card payments) and Paypal.

Some people love Paypal, others hate it so cover all the bases.

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

I think that too many people use PayPal, so I cannot afford to ignore it.

Gabby Griffith

Gabby Griffith Applicant

Yes to PayPal but definitely make sure you include credit/debit card options. Research has shown that cards are the most popular methods of payment in the UK.

ZipserSir likes this.
    SetupaCompany

SetupaCompany Trainee Lab Tech

As good as it is to offer PayPal - many people do not trust PayPal and will not use it so you cannot rely solely on PayPal.

We are in the process of applying to use PayPoint as their processing allows users to use either PayPal or credit card so it covers both bases from the one processing account.

PayPoint.net likes this.
    PayPoint.net

PayPoint.net Freshman

A combination of PayPal and a payment processor would be ideal as you cater for both audiences. Once your business online trading volume increases you would want a payment processor involved as they can negotiate on rates and include a number of free monthly / quarterly transactions.

PayPoint.net

PayPoint.net Freshman

Also just to add by having Paypal integrated into our system it allows the merchant to report on all transactions in the one place.

dbennett06

dbennett06 Applicant

PayPal is probably your best bet, you can also pay £20 a month to have the service of PayPal Pro, which allows you to take card payments on your site without having the customer to be re-directed to the PayPal site. So in essence everyone is a winner.

Just to add to my post - You will need to look at the cost for each payment service. Having three different processors may seem like a brilliant idea, but in reality you are running at a loss just to keep it going.

PayPal does seem expensive fee wise to begin with, but when you add in the fact that you do not need a merchant bank account, money can be transferred straight into your bank account (within a few hours), and if you're lucky, you can even get a Mastercard linked to your PayPal account, so pay for things in a shop. PayPal does not seem a bad option at all

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
    Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

From a business perspective, one of the key factors here is fraud protection. Remember, you, the retailer, are bearing the risk.

SagePay offers a strong tool kit for helping you to minismise fraud. Paypal, whilst a popular option, offers far less protection against fraud.

By all means offer both. But understand a key issue with risk. And, if your site gets hit by fraud, you will pay. Not paypal. Not SagePay. Not WorldPay.

In terms of conversion of sales, there is, in reality, little to choose between the main players, therefore I would suggest that the trust issue for people using ecommerce site is probably more about your brand, and the credibility of your site, than the payment portal.

I guess what I am saying is this. If your main thoughts about choosing a payment portal are the reaction of the client, you probably do not need to fear so much. The client is less concerned than you think. There are other matters to consider in your selection process.

Iwannamakemoney and Edge like this.
    Neil_CamisOnline

Neil_CamisOnline Freshman

We use PayPal's IPN listener for our site. It's just a shame that you can't manipulate subscriptions in PayPal, so when someone signs up there isn't an easy, clear way of putting them on a high tier plan. The user must log into their PayPal account manually and cancel their existing subscription. The IPN is pretty good too as it gets the payment notifications from PayPal almost instantly. We looked at alternatives like click and buy, buy PayPal seemed to have the most developer resources and many people already have accounts with it through the likes of eBay.

Mark likes this.
    Slough Business

Slough Business Graduate

I agree with most of the above as Paypal is a reliable payment gate way but there are lots of other alternatives such as sage pay and world pay. Personally i would do abit of reaserch before making any final decsions on what service to use.

Iwannamakemoney

Iwannamakemoney Applicant

So yes, the key is opening up various payment options to the customer. :)

James Allen

James Allen Applicant

I recently setup an account with PaymentSense, was up and running in one week, £9.95 per month, lower fees than praypal and have just integrated a shopping cart system to it. Can email payment links to customers and use the virtual terminal to take orders over the phone and if customers want to pay by card in my shop.

PS. I've had experience with setting up an account with Kingpay and Annecto, I cannot recommend these.

Blod93

Blod93 Freshman

As a customer Paypal is easy for me I don't have to to input all of my details each time and I know I'm covered incase anything goes wrong particularly if I've never used the site before I'd be wary to try a new payment method that I'd never heard of and didn't really understand so the lesser know methods might save money initially but providing a well know payment option will make you money in the long run!

As this post is pretty old I'd be interested to hear if any of the above have stuck with the same methods or moved onto something new?

Peter Cabrera

Peter Cabrera Applicant

After Paypal there is another paymnet gateway
    Stripe UK which you can integrate with your website too.

Bonds John

Bonds John Freshman

I think Paypal is best you should use it.Many of my clients using Paypal and they are so happy with it.

OSWS

OSWS Onestop Webshop, web design & online marketing Premium Member

A few years ago a large share of the buying public were wary of Paypal but the trend has reversed so the market is split between those that prefer Paypal and those customers that prefer to pay by Credit/Debit card. So you need to offer both options. From an eCommerce retailers perspective it is more a question of finding a Merchant Account provider that you prefer, rather than one that meets your customers needs. Do your research. As Paul said you need to look at fraud protection and PCI compliance costs if taking payments onsite (rather than redirecting to the Merchant Providers own webpage). Whichever eCommerce system you use do check the merchant providers back-end systems / API integrates seamlessly with your preferred eCommerce system.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Where are online retailers with Apple Pay? I am surprised more haven't been offering this option?