1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

RAC: Millions in private parking penalties 'charged illegally'

Discussion in '2 & 4 Wheels' started by Mad Lab Rat, Feb 20, 2015.

Mad Lab Rat

Mad Lab Rat Mad Lab Rat

Millions of pounds of parking penalties could have been charged illegally, according to the RAC Foundation.

http://bbc.in/1LhofhQ

What do you think?

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Not sure how people would actually get any money back from this.. I once got charged £60 for leaving my car in a retail outlet car park for two hours while I hopped in somebody's else car and we popped off somewhere else for half an hour.

Didn't matter we had shopped there for two hours and spent in excess £300 between us, the shops had nothing to do with the car park and the signs weren't there I'm sure when we parked, but they were there six weeks later when the ticket arrived in the post.

#NotEthical

No idea who charged me now or who I paid from about 4 years ago.

james murphy

james murphy Sarcasm in bucketloads - Say hi though!

I've fought one of these all the way to court. And lost. Just.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Shame - did it cost you much to fight?

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

It is true that many private companies are charging illegally. Many, also, will not bother to chase if you just ignore them. I have never fought one in court. I did, when I received one from the hospital car park managers, just ignore it. I had, for the record, purchased and displayed a ticket. I could have spent ages sending copies back and forth, but I ignored it and they gave up after about three letters.

CoffeeBeans13

CoffeeBeans13 Graduate

I also once ignored one of these fines from a car park at a shopping centre, I had about 3 letters I think, and I never responded, and then they just stopped. I think they were trying to get me to pay £60 for parking a little over a white bay line. Wasn't happening!

james murphy

james murphy Sarcasm in bucketloads - Say hi though!

It didn't. I did it myself.

The mistake I made was thinking it would be a walk in the park as judges hate private parking companies.

They do, but unfortunately my defence was not good enough to counter the guys legal right to chase the debt. Had I put more effort into my initial defence I would have won.