1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Protecting a business name. With or without spaces?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property & Trademarking' started by toby123, Apr 5, 2013.

toby123

toby123 Freshman

Hi folks,

I have recently been told that the only really secure way to protect a business name in the UK is to form a business with Companies House (which I can then keep it dormant, while operating as a sole trader).

However, say my business name was for a web-based business, and consisted of several words... a bit like TripAdvisor for example.
    My domain name and trading name will consist of the words without the spaces.

If I formed a company using no spaces between the words, would that also give me legal ownership over the same name with the spaces between words?

( Example: Say I formed a business with the word TripAdvisor, would that give me ownership of both TripAdvisor "and" Trip Advisor? )

I am hoping forming a company will give me protection over both / all uses.

Any guidance anyone can offer me in this matter would be most welcome.
    Thank you for reading :)

toby123

toby123 Freshman

I now have the answer

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Care to share? Might be useful to someone else looking. :)

toby123

toby123 Freshman

Registering company names. Spaces between words

Of course :) Good point...
    I have now been told by two different formation companies that Companies House will not allow another person to register a name if it is the same, or very similar to one that's already registered. This should cover issues regarding any variations with spacing between words.

lellis

lellis Applicant

This is a common misconception. Simply registering a company name at Companies House gives you no rights in respect to the trading name. Loosely speaking, the only thing that does is a registered trade mark. Also, if your tradename is descriptive, you will struggle to get a registered trade mark.