1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Online Business Plans

Discussion in 'Business Planning' started by The Cue Store, Jun 17, 2013.

The Cue Store

The Cue Store Junior Lab Tech

I was thinking after starting to read Duncan Bannatyne's Anyone Can Do It and how he made all his money from nothing and with no qualifications, and most of the issues that was causing me problems away from the business/businesses were sorted.

I decided that I want to start fresh and put all my heart into do it, but this time do it properly for example a proper business plan, marketing plan and try and get some funding from my bank or some sort of investor.

So with that in mind and I don't have a clue where to start with one, has anyone used or currently using LivePlan for doing there business plans or is it worth using an all in one solution like Smarta which I mentioned in another post.

Business Plan Software - LivePlan
    Smarta Business Builder | Smarta Business Builder

Or can anyone recommend something similar.

blpsams

blpsams Graduate

He seems like a really good guy. But he may not be the person you wish to use as inspiration... you do know he's ~£122m in debt, don't you?

startups.co.uk has a wealth of information on business plans, if that helps.
    Software can be overrated sometimes!

That being said, I actually have a friend who used Smarta when planning her café business and she was utterly clueless at the beginning - and now runs one of the most widely-acclaimed cafés in Edinburgh (and she's 24 - talk about inspirational!) :)

The Cue Store

The book was from a few years back now, he's not the best inspiration now days but when he wrote the book he probably was.

Out of the Dragon's I'm a massive fan of Theo, Peter and James.

Yeah I did know that, but is that down to his divorce though?

I'll have a look at the link.

Your friend sounds like a real inspiration :)

blpsams

blpsams Graduate

Yeah she is undoubtedly awesome, I'm so proud of her (have known her since we both worked in Dorothy Perkins part-time!) - she's all grown up now!

Also goes to say that a degree doesn't necessarily mean a job straight away - she left with a 1st in English Literature, and was stuck with very few prospects 'til she decided to go it alone! She's one of the main reasons I decided not to continue my Archaeology degree :)

Ha, it may be from a divorce - regardless, doesn't exactly scream "great strategist" does it?!

Best of luck, it must be so exciting to plan out a new business :)

Click Plastics

Click Plastics Applicant

smarta seems quite pricey, is it worth the money?

blpsams

blpsams Graduate

From what I hear, it's a lot more comprehensive - and I suppose it's contract-free, so there's a bit of flexibility.
    I think with my friend, what she wanted was a plan as detailed as possible, and from what I heard it was just that :) It's entirely up to you, of course!
    (I don't work for them, by the way :p )

The Cue Store

This time I'm going to give it my all.

Still thinking about Smarta though.

The Cue Store

I decided to go with LivePlan, but never thought it would be so hard to draw up a business plan.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't it Sugar who advocated not paying your suppliers/creditors until the very last minute i.e. under threat of legal action? Not exactly a great inspiration.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

I understand why people want to keep hold of cash for as long as poissible... cash is king after all, but I'd like to think that the working relationships we have with others is boosted or at least maintained by making sure things are paid when they should be.

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

I disagree to some extent. If you have the money to pay suppliers on time and you don't then basically you're being unnecessarily selfish and stupid.

If you don't have the money to pay your suppliers, then you're trading insolvent. Either way the "cash is king" argument doesn't apply here Gunk.

Cash is King applies to the ability to be able to buy deals at a better rate because you can pay on the nose.

The Cue Store

What if you have the money but the suppliers don't send you the invoice?

Surely the last few post are moving away from my OP or is it just me?

ISS

That's nothing to do with the point that was made. That's just... just... nitpicking lol

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

I totally agree with that. I mean I understand why people want to keep hold of their cash but it is stupid. If ou want a service or a product then you should cough up for it.

Sorry, but I've always been tought that cash is king is about cash flow. Thus, holding onto money for as long as possible. Not saying I'm right, just from my learning.

If suppliers don't send me the invoice then I chase it up and double check everything is alright. Just good business practice really. Yeah, maybe off topic, but still good conversation :)

ISS

You've been taught wrong then Gunk. Why would keeping someone else's money in your account be the basis of "cash is king?"

Here's an example. You get offered 20 items (that you can sell straight away) at £100 that you can sell at £125.

That's all you can afford to buy from your cashflow.

The supplier has ACTUALLY got 100 that he would let you have for £80, but hey you can't afford them so you'll make £20 less per unit than the guy who had the money to buy them all. Cash is King because he just made nearly double the amount you did.

You've got to go back and buy them in 20 unit lumps and pay 25% more for them.

Best lesson I ever learned was leaving profits in the company so I had the cash to buy decent sized deals.

THAT'S what the principle is based upon NOT holding peoples' money. I promise.

Regards

Jon

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

Years at university well spent... :rolleyes:

Toastking likes this.
    ISS

Ah well, there's the problem with academics teaching people how to run businesses.

Toastking likes this.
    The Cue Store

Had a look on RBS tonight who I have my business account with and they offer a free online business planner, and to my surprise it's a done by LivePlan so I quickly cancelled my account with LivePlan as they offer a 60 day money back guarantee but only after signing up for the RBS version.

pete.mcal

pete.mcal Trainee Lab Tech Premium Member

Plus it's also incredibly short sighted. If you wait until the threat of legal action to pay suppliers they will either wash their hands with you, demand up front payment in future or seriously tighten your credit terms.

Imagine calling up a sales agent "Hi, I'm the guy that refused to pay until you threatened me with legal action, can we have a discount on our next order?".

ISS likes this.
    Vero Mandro

Vero Mandro Applicant

One of the business plan through online is the best ecommerce mobile platform which creates a marketplace where users can sign up to become a seller by filling up a seller form and it makes the user to feel comfortable with ecommerce script. For more details., Appkodes Fantacy