1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Mystery Shopper - Mary Portas

Discussion in 'Public Relations & Press Releases' started by Mad Lab Rat, Mar 18, 2015.

Mad Lab Rat

Mad Lab Rat Mad Lab Rat

So I have to confess, I used to like watching Mary Portas a few years ago on her secret shopper jaunts to help struggling businesses sort themselves out.

I watched the tail end of the programme on Channel 4 last night - a car dealership in Aylesbury.
    Now I only saw the last 15 minutes - the grand reopening and the customers waiting in the cold, to come into the cold car-park and then gush about how great it was and what a major change they had seen in the place and the people, as if it was somewhere they went every week. Stuck me as strange responses for that particular business model.

Got me thinking - have you ever used a mystery shopper for your business and did you garner any results from it that showed you where improvements were needed?
    Did you act on any of that feedback?
    Or have you been a mystery shopper and encountered some horror stories?

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

When I bought my car, I was actually asked by the sales guy if I was a mystery shopper, god knows why!!

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

I used to work in the motor retail sector, and we did use mystery shoppers. So did the manufacturers - to make sure we were representing their brands well.

The information was usually of value, especially for staff training purposes. The value of the feedback varied enormously depending on how good the mystery shopper actually was. Some of them deliberately tried to trip up the sales staff, and that is not useful, nor is it helpful. Others were brilliant. Overall it was a valuable exercise.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I agree mystery shoppers are a valuable asset to your business, if they are good at their job. You can learn so much - both good and bad.

CygnusB

CygnusB Graduate

I bet it's quite exciting to be a mystery shopper, does that sound sad?

CoffeeBeans13

CoffeeBeans13 Graduate

Mystery shoppers are used all the time in retail, and the data is then used to try to improve each department. For the most part it works, unless you're mystery shopper got out the wrong side of bed that morning.