1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

MLM (Multi-Level-Marketing)

Discussion in 'Public Relations & Press Releases' started by IRONMAN2000, Jul 20, 2013.

IRONMAN2000

IRONMAN2000 Applicant

In the past I have tried to work on several MLM projects, but never really made what they said I would make and my question to you all is:

What would be the best choice today between MLM or a 2-3 tier affiliate program?

Have a wonderful weekend to all.

Stuart_ritchie

Stuart_ritchie Applicant

It depends if you want to build a big team and get the benefits of the exponential growth that can give your income. If not, you may want to go the affiliate route.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
    IRONMAN2000 likes this.
    mediaguy

mediaguy Trainee Lab Tech

MLM schemes are illegal because their scams. Its based on 'recruitment' via levels with each 'member' given a slice of the profits, with all these members -- all cannot mathematically make any money for it to be profitable.

BBC - Watchdog: Pyramid gifting

You'd never make any cash from it.

------------------------

For affiliate programs to work, you need to own a high traffic website with visitors who are prepared to see through and click
    the laughable links and banners. Payments Vs Clickthroughs are so wide apart it will shock you. You could have 15k's worth of clicks on an advert, yet not make a sale - ever!

Without the right type of website, design, marketing - it wont work. Its not enough to have just a high traffic site, other factors are involved.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
    IRONMAN2000 likes this.
    IRONMAN2000

IRONMAN2000 Applicant

Exactly, I am in total agreement with every word you are saying MediaGuy and to do some market research first to hit on the correct niche and build a site to conform to that demand.

The MLM format of a two sided tier construction is still very much the popular way in the USA & Canada. I have been dragged into these schemes so many times, that I always think that this time its going to work and then realize the only people to make any kind of money is the very few at the very peak of the mountain. All the recruiters who may bring hundreds of leads are left wondering what they are doing wrong as they get told repeatedly that your almost there just concentrate on your right side and all will come good etc..................never does and by that time your data base has been taken and used elsewhere!!!

I would always go for if I could say a UK & European Affiliate program of a 2-3 tier format. Even this format is not 100% going to make you a rich person, but at least you can see if your efforts are producing results in a short period of time and adjust your strategy accordingly.

Bottom line is that Online marketing can be a way of making a very good home based business, but its long hard working days from 10-14 hours and you need to invest in some kind of SEO to capture new leads to click through your site to make a sale or as in Igaming convert to a depositing player etc.

Good luck to everybody and if there is people out there who can expand on the above pls do for even the experienced can benefit :)

Stuart_ritchie

Stuart_ritchie Applicant

Pyramid schemes are illegal. Multi-Level Marketing / Network Marketing is not.

IRONMAN2000

IRONMAN2000 Applicant

Indeed, the pyramid schemes have been given a cloak called MLM to hide them from view. Still many thousands of people fall into the trap of high payments and a residual income to secure their families future!!!

Network Marketing is a very competitive field these days and you need to chose carefully the niche to promote and again don't dream of making millions, this only happens to a very small percentage of Master Affiliates that got into the market many years before you did :)

Have a great weekend

Stuart_ritchie

Stuart_ritchie Applicant

You're right - pick well. The plan you refer to is a binary plan. I'm not a fan of those, but some people seem to like them.

It is possible to get to the top without joining at the start. A good friend of mine joined a company five years after it started and reached the top of the plan recently.

mediaguy

Its so easy to select the wrong niche - and is so easy to get it wrong. The site must be high traffic of the right footfall to start off, or it must fail by lack of visitor numbers.

Secondly, the website's niche/area of expertise/offering is key eg: is the site's popularity big enough to attract users. Will people buy all this stuff in the first place.

Thirdly, Affiliate competition, eg: there cannot be 20k of others all doing the same as you, as this must cut down on potential earnings.

then you have web design costs, marketing costs etc. In most cases costs are too much to attempt any testing phase, eg - you must know, be 100% sure, before shelling out the cash, as its too risky otherwise.

Even targeted websites fail at this for some reason, and the only winner is the seller, who knows many will plonk the trashy links onto blogs and think it will work. Big mistake, and its the sellers like the huge companies who get a ton of free advertising without risking anything much themselves.

Then you got to convince or get thousands to click-through and actually purchase from the seller's website, which is so tough to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
    samuel

samuel Graduate Premium Member

I won't pretend to understand this very well, but from my limited comprehension of it, MLM has the major danger of creating a financial system where the amount of cash flowing through comes mainly from new signups, rather than any inherent profit from the sales of the product itself—essentially, a Ponzi scheme. Seems to me an immensely risky and unethical model to get embroiled into. Affiliate marketing, on the other hand, is a steep curve to follow, but if there is an actual sellable product at the foundation of it it still seems like a preferable choice to me.

mediaguy likes this.
    Bexleys

Bexleys Applicant

my facebook timeline is packed with people promoting there prymid scheemes

my owl 1

my owl 1 Applicant

Please can we not keep on calling Network Marketing "PYRAMIDS".
    In the UK at the moment there are NO PYRAMIDS, that I am aware of.

Although all multi million companies such as MICROSOFT etc could be termed PYRAMIDS as they have a CEO that is paid millions and a single micro chip worker at the bottom who is paid peanuts in comparison.

I belong to a Network Marketing company that is an established FTSE 250 UK company that has a bone fide CEO and has a workforce of distributors that have worked this business from 15 years ago to new distributors that have only just registered. The ones who have been in years may or may not have large incomes due to the amount of work THEY put into it as well as their team members.
    When we join we are all online trained, have classroom training too, mentor-ship, our own business websites, in fact all the tools to make our businesses work. However,it is up to the individual to do some work too, to receive a reasonable or a large income.
    I know many distributors who have overtaken their sponsors and now earn substantially more money than their recruiter, so PYRAMID certainly not.
    In this period of recession Network Marketing, has helped those who really require another income stream to fight the recession and keep on top of things.
    For others it is not for them and because they don't want to work they don't get the income and then go off whinging that it is a Pyramid and only the few can earn from it. RUBBISH.
    If Network Marketing is not for you then DON'T DO IT. But don't decry those who have put in alot of work to make a go of it and are over time receiving the residual incomes that they have honestly achieved.
    :rant:
    Avril.
    Proud to be a distributor with a UK Network Marketing Company.

DebMaddock likes this.
    mediaguy

From what I've heard, there are loads, likely 100's, perhaps thousands even, and that's just the offline 'clubs' - far more online scams though.

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

My sister and her husband earn over £100k per annum between them in middle roles within an MLM company in the UK.

They have no friends left outside of "the business" of course because they can't see anyone without foaming at the mouth and thinking "recruit" but they do earn an extremely good and legal living.

samuel likes this.
    DebMaddock

DebMaddock Applicant

I agree with what Avril said, and would like to add my own thoughts on this matter. I have been in a few network marketing companies and I'm happy to name them... I joined Nikken when I lived in California for a year, loved the products and still use them as part of my life 8 years later. I never made much money with them, but had great friends who were very successful..I just didn't have the same 'go for it' attitude or work ethic at the time.. The company is not a scam, nor are the people in it.. It was my own failings that prevented my success.
    I joined Pampered Chef because I love the products and thought it would be a fun business, but I found out quickly that actually it didn't suit me or my personality. Again, the company is very good, not a scam, and I have friends who do very well from it.
    I joined Kleeneze when I quit my job at a hospital and felt I needed to do anything. I hated it and left it within a month, but I know a few people personally making a good income from it.. I can see the company is strong and many do well, it's just not for me.
    I joined Utility Warehouse Discount Club and felt happy to be saving people money, and it is a great company with many successful people earning good commissions.. I have since moved on, and my husband continues with it.
    I joined a company called Momentis.. this was a massive mistake, as the management were not honest, were inept and the launch in the UK was shambolic. I left very quickly and felt very unhappy at my experience with them.
    Now, I was not looking at doing anything else really, but I joined Banners Broker and currently have a good income building there, and I'm happy to keep building that. My experience has been very positive there.
    I do Phoenix Trading for pocket money, and I do Forever Living because I am passionate about the products.. My friend who joined Forever living had her first cheque of £1,500 within her first 3 months because she is a really focused and diligent woman.. My first cheque won't be anything like that, and rightly so because I haven't put in the hours required.
    My point is this... Most Network Marketing businesses will make good commisions for you but only if and when you put the hours in. You cannot moan and run around shouting scam when you do not do the work, or if you have never done any business like it and are ignorant.
    There are many opportunities out there, and many are good. Some are not and in all cases you should do your research to find out the facts..and that doesn't include speaking to people who have opinions but no experience.
    Be cautious, be enquiring, but don't be cynical and call it educated, it isn't.

ISS likes this.
    ISS

You're 100% correct Deb in that most people fail at it because they don't put the effort in or understand it. Then they call it a scam rather than face up to their own failings.

It's the forever thing that my sister's involved in. She's quite high up the food chain in that these days.

I just have to gag her when we meet socially ;)

DebMaddock likes this.
    captaincloser

captaincloser View from the Crow's nest

'Banners Broker' ? That rang a distant bell about a very illuminating article I read a few years ago and I suggest anyone reading the posts on here has a quick search for 'Banners Broker Scam' on Google.

Is it a Ponzi scheme? You be the judge on that one. :shamemb:mart:

mediaguy

Typical sales recruit response - and very predictable.....

You do know that most small biz/website owners are former professional sales people. It happens all the time - ex-staff leave their employers to set up on their own, and its far safer than joining some MLM scam. So we know exactly whats involved to make money from various products, and will weigh up the pros and cons, before taking the job on.

Don't believe the stories of 100k earnings for every affiliate - its all bs. I knew a Kleeneze salesman, he was a member at my Martial Arts dojo, and he was constantly trying to recruit club members, they all told him to 'bugger off'. This is how tough it is, as too many people know these organisations and what they do. Also the MLM program members stick out like a sore thumb. But the biggest error with MLM's is the products aren't wanted, or the sales is way too 'in your face' to work as people just think "oh, not another darn affiliate trying to recruit me into their naff program"

I used to have Kleeneze as a client on one of my websites, so I know them very well, and thus to avoid all dealings with their affiliates. I've met idiots in pubs who strike up a conversation, only to find they work for a double-glazing Co, - had one drive me to an interview, where I was sold on 'flashy suits' and great commission to be had etc, these nutters chased me with phone calls, until I told them to bugger off. My friend had a similar experience, but I'll tell you about that another time.

Don't be recruited into these crazy schemes, even if the company is well-known, don't do it as in most cases you will be doing all the work, while the bosses get rich off your effort,sales is very tough to make with abuse and doors being slammed in your face. The pay is pathetic too.

Been there, done it and got the tee-shirt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
    ISS

Sales recruit? lol ok, let's not even go down that path.

I'm not advocating MLM here, I'm merely stating that my sister does earn that money, and that many people who fail at it then cry scam.

June

June Applicant

As I understand, the two main reasons for people leaving MLM is:
    1 Hard to keep finding prospects
    2 Having to build up a massive team to make any kind of decent income.
    We like to think we have solved this problem.

1 We will supply leads free of charge for 1 month to help you on your way. Thereafter they will be charged at £3.00 each.
    2 If you only have 1 in your 1st level and they submit 1 average client per week. You submit 1 client per week. Your commission would be £5,600!
    This is assuming you are an executive director and they have just joined as a consultant.
    So, we are confident that our plan will stop people jumping ship and make it easier to recruit.
    Thanks
    Changing the way MLM works

samuel

samuel Graduate Premium Member

Yeah, so from my perspective, it's really just a matter of how much you're willing to compromise for the sake of success. With MLM you have to subvert your entire social circle for the sake of sales, and assimilate all your existing relationships into the system. Is that really different from any other kind of venture, though, like running a start-up and working 18-hour days?

Not coming down in favour of any side, just saying.