1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Link exchange?

Discussion in 'SEO, Social Media & Web Marketing' started by sdesign1, Nov 4, 2010.

sdesign1

sdesign1 Graduate

I was just wondering does anybody do this with other websites? And is it ethical? If can anybody tell me the proceedures they go through when asking for exchanges!

cheers!

Sam G

Sam G Freshman

From an SEO point of view link exchanges to sites that have similar content are OK, or even a footer link on their web pages to yours (as you are a web designer) and one from your portfolio to them is also OK, but random link exchanges are not (link spam).

That aside, if you want to exchange links with other websites you obviously need to ask their permission first.

sally_b

sally_b Freshman

Hi, I think they are a good idea but I rarely exchange links now. The reason being is that the vast majority of time I get a link request, I link to them and and they don't link back. I have a link exchange page on one of my sites saying I'm happy to exchange, please link to me and I'll link back. What happens is that hey don't link to me first or even afterwards.

Kontracta Matt

Kontracta Matt Graduate

We've started a page for link exchanges and a mini directory on our new site mainly as an experiment but like sally_b says we have had to remove pretty much all of our links already as exchange requests tend only to get followed through on our side. Also we only exchange with UK based businesses which knocks out most requests before we start.

Also given what office chair has said about reciprocal exchanges, it is set to be a very short lived experiment and we'll probably soon just go back to concentrating on the day job.

zomex

zomex Freshman

In my opinion this technique is not likely to bring good results (it did a couple of years ago) because it doesn't show Google the value of a site but at the same time it certainly won't harm your site if you exchange with a few websites that are relevant to your own.

Jack

sdesign1

sdesign1 Graduate

Cheers for your replies people! :)

Azolla

Azolla Freshman

I've also found it tough exchanging links with relevant sites. Given how tough it seems to be is this really what you need to do to get a high Google ranking or are there other more effective ways to rank highly now? Writing good quality articles I've heard is probably more effective......... is this right?

sdesign1

sdesign1 Graduate

do you write articles? if so where do you post them?

Azolla

Azolla Freshman

sdesign1

sdesign1 Graduate

cheers for the feedback!

Alby

Alby Freshman

One way do follow backlinks are by far a better option than a link exchange. If using article marketing make sure you use your keywords as anchortext. Also if your a UK based company offering your product or service to the UK market, then try to get UK based backlinks, ideally from UK hosted and registered article websites, it will help with geo targeting and improve your UK serps position.

Azolla

Azolla Freshman

Thanks Alby, that makes sense.

sdesign1

sdesign1 Graduate

can you recommend any UK based article websites?

Alby

Alby Freshman

Yes, i can recommend a few,

including

News-Broadcast
    News-Today | Informative news and articles
    Article Junction |

i also own a variety of UK based sites,

If your looking for UK based anchortext backlinks, and already have an article ready to go, then i offer a submission service to all of the websites ( many of which i own ) and including Google news submission for only £20 (discounts for multiple articles available)

The only thing i ask is that the quality of the article is good, at least 250 words long and has a maximum of 4 links.

sdesign1

sdesign1 Graduate

Cheers alby il sign up for these today!

Trish Jones

Trish Jones Applicant

Better still, provide fantastic editorial content and people will share your content which equals free links.

Jay Maxar

Jay Maxar Applicant

we also want to know about it

Web Design Company

Web Design Company Applicant

Consider site A and consider site B as shown in figure. Say site A wishes to exchange link with site B. Site A will shoot out an email to site B saying that I went to your site and found your site of interest to their visitors. Site A will also say that it has put site B link on their following page (it can be any page; normally it's a resource or links page). Once site B receives an email, it will go through site A and decide if it's relevant to their site's theme or not. As soon as site B finds it relevant it will put site A link on its page. Once this is done site B will reply back to site A saying that we would also love to exchange link with your site and in return we have put your site on the following page. Thus a link exchange has taken place between site A and site B.

Trish Jones

Trish Jones Applicant

My personal view and experience, this is such a waste of time now. Whilst I appreciate that not all link exchanges are bad, it shouldn't be the main focus on getting backlinks. See what Google has to say about it here: Link schemes - Webmaster Tools Help

sdesign1

sdesign1 Graduate

I know having good quality content is always going to attract people wanting to link to you however, i was thinking if link exchanges are a good way of getting your foot in the door so people can accturally view your page if its ranking higher in the SERP's