1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Like for Like's sake?

Discussion in 'Facebook Users' started by Mark, Jul 24, 2012.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone here habitually refuse to 'Like' Facebook pages, simply because they're asked to like it?

What is the point of soliciting for Likes? Should it just be a case of having good content in the first place?

:)

Adam H

Adam H Have a Break, Have a KitKat

Yup , I actually cant stand it when friends ask me to like their new page and refuse to do so. I wouldnt ask someone to like my page unless they had vested interest in that subject so i would expect the same from them .

Although i try and keep my facebook account for family and friends only and i do not use it as any kind of networking for my personal account so i probably dont get the request as much as some.

pete

pete Junior Lab Tech

I like something if I am interested in receiving follow up information

I view it the same as subscribing to a feed

Mark likes this.
    cheaper accountant

cheaper accountant Graduate

Does having a mountain of likes help SEO in anyway? Does Google add importance to your website?

pete

pete Junior Lab Tech

Genuine likes - yes

Fivver likes - maybe

Mark likes this.
    Adam H

In short......no.

There are more variables than just having a like or a tweet , a follow etc. Like who has tweeted , who has liked . who followes them etc etc etc.

There was a good video from SEO Brighton last month which explains it with upto date info , although they still do not give alot away.

Panel – Ask the Engines with Pierre Far, Dave Coplin, Martin McDonald, Rishi Lakhani & Tony Goldstone - BrightonSEO - BrightonSEO

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
    pete

pete Junior Lab Tech

JoebeeKenobi likes this.
    Adam H

Sorry i shouldnt have said an outright "No" , What i meant was that Yes they do count social signals but they dont count straight up likes and tweets there is more too it which is confirmed by a BIng and Google employee in the video i posted above.

(Id imagine they say the exact same thing as Cutts does in the video you posted, I havent seen that one so ill have a watch later )

pete

pete Junior Lab Tech

Once again these subjects come down to the natural element.

If a facebook page generates 1000 likes it's a positive sign

If a facebook page generates 5 genuine likes and the other 995 are purchased, this is still a positive sign.

The question is, have Google advanced the algo quickly enough to spot the difference

If forced I would say this - You may get away with purchasing likes today but at some stage in the future you will probably be spanked.

Adam H

I would argue they already have an algo in place which has some kind of authority judge on who's liked , who's followed the person thats just liked your page etc etc.

Buying likes and tweets has no real value other than an old marketing trick which tricks real people into thinking that the page is buzzing and therefore sign up or like , tweet them selves and then their friends tweet etc etc.

Gain Natural , real Likes and tweet which are not automated and those people have real followers etc really isnt that hard of an algorithm to judge and again its probably using some kind of Quality score/ voting system to judge just that.

Having social signals show up under search results like " this person has liked this page " already shows there is some kind of authority in social signals of respected people in those niches.

AdamW

AdamW Lab Manager

Soliciting likes kinda defeats the object. Especially soliciting likes for your Facebook page on Twitter (pet Twitter hate). I don't solicit likes, and certainly don't ask my friends to like my page - 99% of them couldn't be less interested!

Denise Taylor

Denise Taylor Applicant

Yes good content is of course important. But I see nothing wrong with a call to action. Sometimes people forget. Just like how some times saying "Buy Now" will actually convert a sale. Sometimes good content isn't enough and you have to ask. :)

jonathan

jonathan Trainee Lab Tech

Well that's facebook business/advertising model blown away if they aren't valued...

sjr4x4

sjr4x4 Graduate Premium Member

Currently minimal, will it in the future, definitely.

The dominance of links as a primary ranking signal is coming to an end. The negative SEO debate has sealed that fate. Social signals (amongst many others) will replace it, Google is naturally trying to push us into Google+ but I think all Social signals will carry weight, be that FB likes, +1's, "pins" or whatever. I'm guessing it will be 2 years before social signals really come into their own.

Anyone building up a broad bank of genuinely obtained social signals now is future proofing themselves. Gaming the system by buying likes will end up down the same road as all the websites that got hammered by the Penguin updates. At some point in the future, I've no doubt the algo will be sophisticated enough to determine spammy signals, likes, +1's etc.

If you have been doing genuine and honest SEO over the years, then you are likely to have had little impact from the Penguin updates. Take this same approach to social signals, and you will be fine.

As for Marks original question, I'll happily reciprocal like someone, or will respond positively to a request if it is a customer or someone I know.

But make sure you separate business and personal social media accounts, don't keep spamming family and friends with like requests! Likewise, you don't want a drinking buddy from 20 years ago reliving past glories on your business page :eek:

pete

pete Junior Lab Tech

Good post Steve, the only part I disagree with is links being totally discounted (time will tell on this one)

Matt Cutts: Don't Write The Epitaph For Links Yet [SMX Advanced 2012 Video]

Personally I think there's a window of opportunity for people to become true service providers in the social media sphere (not the rubbish we see out there at present)

A provider who can

Move traffic (with analytical proof)
    Optimise accounts
    Genuingley improve account popularity
    Demystify the processes
    Post and interact on behalf of a business

pete

pete Junior Lab Tech

As for negative SEO these things are all about loopholes, as Google closes down one door another opens. Google bombing, Negative SEO the words change over the years but the subject remains the same. It's certainly nothing new.

We are living in exciting times one where technology is becoming an integral part of all our lives. The road ahead is never going to be a smooth. Companies that attempt to innovate and fail should be applauded.

The actual process of optimisation is only a small part of the subject we call 'Internet marketing'

If we don't have blocks in place it's a struggle

A good website
    Good copy
    Obvious call to actions
    A sound business concept
    Various visibility strategies
    Plan

It's never been about being good at one thing, meta tags, h1's, anchor text etc etc. It's always been about the bigger picture.

The problem faced by modern optimisation providers is they need to bust their balls to provide the level of support that will improve a business model, it's this reason why so many struggle.

Mark

I think that's key.

sjr4x4

sjr4x4 Graduate Premium Member

Agree totally. The traditional SEO industry has all but destroyed itself with no self regulation, greed and a market saturated with idiots and hobbyists. The genuinely good guys out there (and there are plenty) are buried in a sea of cynicism and suspicion.

More controversially, I think business owners are also guilty, with unrealistic and naive expectations for minimal to no budget, or just pure online naivety.

The frontier days of the net are coming to a close, Penguin and Panda for its faults and issues is a step in the right direction.

People are getting wiser and have a better understanding. Consign buying 5000 directory links and 5000 facebook likes for $25 to history.

I think a new combined SEO/SMM/SEM market is slowly emerging with genuinely professional providers providing businesses with a blended marketing approach, but can quickly adapt to to this fast paced and changing market. Back this up with good old genuine customer service, accountability, setting realistic targets, plus owners accepting a realistic budget, then sign me up! :)

I genuinely love SEO and Social marketing, and it really is an exciting space to work in, but the general state of the industry makes me despair :(

Mark likes this.
    paultgreen

paultgreen Trainee Lab Tech

I tend to like things I don't mind being spammed by.. I like my favourite musicians so I know when they're coming to town. I like my favourite take-away so I see the special offers first.. I like companies who subcontract work out that i'd be interested in.

The main people who I ask to like our page are people once they've been through the veting prorcess, as Facebook is a very quick way to get short notice staff for a job.

Mark

This is interesting:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19462661

"A 'like' that doesn't come from someone truly interested in connecting with a page benefits no one." So begins a blog entry posted by the Facebook security team on Friday.

The security team at the company is warning that it is now acting to remove "likes"...

Are they just waking up to the fact that facebook is, well... fake? :w: