1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

KPI's for trainee managers

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Maevla, Jan 23, 2015.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I've currently got 3 trainee mangers working towards Level Three NVQ in Leadership and Management, and as this is the time of year we do annual reviews and PDP's etc, it's time to review our KPI's.

I myself work against quite a lot, but I don't want to inundate these three to a point where they feel overwhelmed and can't cope, but on the other hand they need to be encouraged to pick up and look at the scope of the business in a different way.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on how many KPI's should be set and measured against?

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Between 5 and 9

Maevla

Over how long a period to begin? Quarterly?

CoffeeBeans13

CoffeeBeans13 Graduate

I'd say it depends on your business as to how many you measure against. It's crucial that you tailor your measurement to your specific circumstances and objectives.
    or example, you may decide that customer service is a strategic priority for your business and start measuring this. But there are many ways of doing so. You might consider measuring:

• the proportion of sales accounted for by returning customers
    • the number of customer complaints received
    • the number of returned items
    • the time it takes to fulfil an order
    • the percentage of incoming calls answered within 30 seconds
    None of these is necessarily better than any other. The challenge is to find which specific measure - or measures - will enable you to improve your business through your management team

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Formal reviews every six months with a weekly, monthly or quarterly 'check in'. Frequency varies with context but if these are people with management and leadership potential I would go with annual KPIs, semi annual reviews and monthly check ins.

Get them to self review with you though. It cuts down your work and develops their self awareness.

Maevla likes this.
    Maevla

Yes already do the annual review - the quarterly review and we do what we call 10 min reviews that can be fairly often, used to re-train if something is going wrong, or to congratulate good work and practices etc.

Duncan likes this.