1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Is responsive design must?

Discussion in 'Graphic & Web Design' started by M. Magusara, Aug 9, 2015.

M. Magusara

M. Magusara Applicant

Is responsive design must even though mobile users are not my target?

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes. Even though mobile users are not your target they may accidentally stumble across your site and you wouldn't want them to see a site that didn't format on their screen correctly.

Having an accident that involves a trip to hospital is never someone's target but I recommend clean underwear every day just in case. Same principle,

UKBL-Admin likes this.
    Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I would say yes most definitely, even if it's not your target right now, sometime in the not so distant future it probably will be

M. Magusara

M. Magusara Applicant

Does Google consider responsive design as ranking factor?

UKBL-Admin

UKBL-Admin Administrator Staff Member

Yes, they do. And even if they wouldn't, they do consider user experience as a ranking factor, which is negatively affected by not having responsive design.
    So it's a double yes! :D

Adam H

Adam H Have a Break, Have a KitKat

Its not "responsive" per say which is considered a factor, its mobile / tablet friendly which could be in the form of dedicated APP, mobile device theme or responsive media queries.

That said my personal opinion and something I said a couple of years back on another forum is that responsive/viewport/media queries may start to carry more weight over APP's and so forth if the right variables are in place.

David Jenkins

David Jenkins Graduate

When my website went live I included a mobile friendly version and upon looking at the stats for the site, alot of visitors are from the mobile app, so I would say, have one included if you have the opportunity to include it.

OSWS

OSWS Onestop Webshop, web design & online marketing Premium Member

If you have analytics installed on your website (eg Google analytics) you can gauge what portion of visitors are visiting your website from mobile devices. Overall, visitors from mobile devices now exceeds desktop searches however it may well be the case that your particular customers favour viewing your site using desktop PC.s From a financial perspective (ie cost of employing a designer to redesign your website) you can then gauge whether you need to have a mobile friendly site now or can defer a little while longer.

At some point you will need to make the change to a responsive / mobile friendly design - at least if you don't want to lose customers (even if the portion of mobile users is relatively low). Mobile friendliness is a relatively low ranking factor but it is, nonetheless, a factor so if some of your potential customers are searching for you via their smartphone it can make the difference in where you appear in search results on these devices. Of course, if the actual stats. from your website's analytics says that the majority of your customers are in fact using desktop pc.s then perhaps you can 'get away' without a responsive design at present.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    KickWebDesign

KickWebDesign Applicant

Being mobile friendly is very important. Google states this will only affect mobile rankings, however in practice I see that its benefits overall rankings.

Being responsive, has its additional benefits, by nature they tend to load faster so optimise better.

Robert Broley

Robert Broley Freshman

I would say so, there are so many devices now that your website really does need to be responsive. After all you dont want to potentially lose business because your competition has a responsive site and you dont. Plus there are so many frameworks out there from Bootstrap and Foundation to many more that make this process easier.

Blod93

Blod93 Freshman

90% of the time i'm on some kind of phone or tablet I very rarely use a PC so personally if your website didn't load for me on those devices I wouldn't visit your website again I would say responsive design is an absolute must! Can I ask what your business is or who your target market are if not mobile users? I would have thought all businesses would aim at mobile users aswell - do you know one person who doesn't own a mobile phone or tablet of some kind?

Sara Martine

Sara Martine Applicant

Yes ... If your site is not responsive, this will indirectly impact on your ranking and traffic especially for mobile ranking.

Bonds John

Bonds John Freshman

Definitely its a big YES. Responsive design is not only for the mobile users, there are a lot of other devices too with different screen sizes through which users approach your site. So you must have to design a responsive site.

Peter Cabrera

Peter Cabrera Applicant

Responsive deign is a need of the time.Just think that no one wants to visit the messy place so developing a responsive design is also necessary to entertain clients or visitors in the best way.

ESCserver

ESCserver Applicant

Just hint : Now Google mark mobile as priority in the search result. Which mean if you are not mobile friendly it will go down ..
    So if you want to get better search result you have to think about mobile friendly site .

appkodes

appkodes Freshman

Though you are not concentrated with mobile users prefer a responsive website. As it will help you to get some good rankings from google :)

Marketing Quotes

Marketing Quotes Freshman

This.

Asher ross

Asher ross Applicant

Yes, responsive design is a must. More and more users are accessing information from mobile phones than desktops. Moreover, Google ranks website higher having a responsive design. Responsive design is a must from business aspects as well as from SEO aspects.

servicesfromindia

servicesfromindia Applicant

Yes responsive design is good for website. Responsive Web design is the approach that suggests that design and development should respond to the user’s behavior and environment based on screen size, platform and orientation.

Clap Creative

Clap Creative Web Design + Development Industry

Yes because more than 60% common people surf on mobile instead of desktop to your site should be mobile friendly. And according to marketing purpose search engines also needs mobile friendly sites.