1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Is paypal the only option?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by essex_courier, Jul 14, 2008.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

Thanks for the info

I have Paypal and will be adding Google checkout later.
    Thank you for the information.
    Regards

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

Just for info, we are looking into WorldPay and other merchants as a payment option for Full Membership here. :)

trogette

trogette Freshman

FastPay died a death a couple of years ago! Shame as it was cheaper than nochex and had NatWest's name on it.

I currently use nochex and paypal on the website (for card payments or paypal funded payments) and take card payments by phone (mobile terminal as per other post!) Nochex pay up quicker than paypal and are cheaper but a lot of people sell off their stuff on ebay or forums with buy/sell/swap boards with paypal and then use the funds to buy new stuff so I couldn't ever ditch it, also it's how I take most payments from overseas.

I've looked at Google Checkout but haven't got my head round how to link the free version to oscommerce, if there's a way at all.

trogette

trogette Freshman

Just a semantics thing but isn't worldpay a payment gateway rather than a merchant?

samigail-gifts

samigail-gifts Applicant

I've signed up with google checkout, I haven't fully worked out how it all works yet, but it looks like a cheaper alternative than paypal

DesignsOnline.co.uk

DesignsOnline.co.uk Graduate

You could also try Multicards

www . Multicards . com

It gives you another option at least...
    Joe

Dragon-Media-Group

Dragon-Media-Group Freshman

Erm......?

Prism Hosting

Prism Hosting Guest

There are many up coming online payment options. We seem to find however that without popularity it doesn't matter how good they are people just won't use them.
    Google checkout is a fast simple solution for most users.
    However paypal is still the daddy.
    Is it not better just just have a few major payment options that are universal to everyone?:2c:
    kind regards
    PRISM Hosting limited

iwebshop

iwebshop Freshman

I tend to always add paypal, google checkout, moneybookers and if they have an Internet Merchant Number then PROTX. Seems to cover all eventualities.

parker

parker Applicant

I'm just putting my website together, this has answered a few questions. I think I'll kick off with Pay-Pal for now as I already have an account.

handbaghabit

handbaghabit Freshman

We use both google checkout and Paypal to be honest not that many customers use google checkout although I wish more would the fee's are lower than Paypals and in genereal I find it less hassle to deal with. It's also been said on an other forum that google have better fraud prevention although dont quote me on this. As both are free I would offer both more choices could mean more customers and thats never a bad thing.
    Lori

parker

parker Applicant

Sorry if these questions are dumb, but so far I've onlyever paid with Pay-Pal.
    What level of charges can one expect from PP, for say a ballpark nice round figure of receiving £100.
    And is it straightforward to transfer the cash to other accounts?

handbaghabit

handbaghabit Freshman

Hi its about 4% so approx £4 per hundred although fee's differ depending on volume. As for the transferring it is technically not difficult but you have to request money to be transferred and there s a bit of a delay (It's recently changed so not sure how long). Whilst google check out I think the processing fee's are around the 2% mark and you get 10 x your adwords spend in free processing fee's plus money is automatically transferred to your account every three to five days.
    Hope this helps
    Lori

parker

parker Applicant

Thanks Lori, that helps a lot, I take it my buyers would have to open/start a Google account to use it?

handbaghabit

handbaghabit Freshman

No I dont believe so I think they can pay without an account.
    Lori

samigail-gifts

samigail-gifts Applicant

I've had google checkout as an option in my ebid shop for ages and no-one has ever used it.
    Anyone else experience this - most just seem to use paypal which is a shame cos google checkout fees are much less

iwebshop

iwebshop Freshman

Unfortunately GC just hasnt caught on like paypal. Pity really.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Google missed a golden opportunity with their marketing. Total fail if you ask me.

Ray Stewart

Ray Stewart Lab Manager

The problem with nochex is that they have a £100 transaction limit.

I haven't used it for a long time but that was my recollection.

electrician4hire

electrician4hire Applicant

Hey guys, I'm an electrician with my own company. More and more of my customers keep asking me whether we accept credit cards, more so now since the credit crunch.

Because my first year was registered at a loss, I was turned down for Streamline. Which is ridiculous really, as the only reason it was at a loss was because of the massive setup costs.

Anyway I'm looking for a simple way for my customers to pay for our services using their Credit Cards. Would Google checkout allow me to take payments for services? Obviously each job has a different price. It's not like a store where items have fixed prices.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Les