1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Is paypal the only option?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by essex_courier, Jul 14, 2008.

essex_courier

essex_courier Graduate

What other options are their for taking payments online, without having all those messy time consuming and costly merchant accounts?

We take some payments via paypal, and are looking at alternatives, looking at perhaps £300 a month in total sales, so not enough to warrant huge ecommerce systems.

What do other people use?

OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Trainee Lab Tech

nochex , 2co , google checkout?

Stationery-Direct.co.uk

Stationery-Direct.co.uk Graduate

Merchant accounts are not so expensive if you have quite a few orders being placed, £100 (ish) set up cost with streamline then PROTX at £20 per month, 35p per transaction on debit cards and 1.8% (ish) on credit cards.

Although maybe not worth it on £300 a month, however, if your business grows then worth looking at.

essex_courier

essex_courier Graduate

Thanks

I think his Maj has decided it has to be £1k a month before he considers the other option :rant:
    I will go and have a look at Nochex etc

Caroline

Caroline Graduate

How bout accepting credit and debit cards

Caroline

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

Google Checkout

Google Checkout is quick and reliable, and if you advertise with Adwords, yuo may not have to pay fees (depending on adwords spend).

The other benefit of Google Checkout is that the money appears in your account 3-5 days later automatically, unlike paypal where you have to withdraw money at any given time.

trevorwood

trevorwood Trainee Lab Tech

I'll echo Nikki's comments - we've just started using Google Checkout for our Network Midlands business and it's cheaper, faster and slightly less hassle than PayPal.

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

What is Google checkout's user base? Don't customers have to be signed-up already to pay? :?:

trevorwood

Without going though a full checkout procedure I can't give the definitive answer, but trying one shop, Google checkout had me logged in with my Google account name which hasn't got a Checkout account added to it. It looked like it would just take a credit card at this point.

Perhaps you have to have a Google account

essex_courier

essex_courier Graduate

I shall

Look into google checkout as well.
    I don't use adwords, I never really liked them and other courier companies brag at our regular drink ups how many clickthroughs they have done other ads... they all pretend it's just DHL they do it to, but I can't help but think they are telling me fibs....

Sarah

trevorwood

Google are very hot on this - they can spot if someone is regularly & frequently clicking on an ad. If they find this - or you suspect that someone is doing it to run up your adwords bill - they will investigate and refund if necessary.

philipjohn

philipjohn Applicant

No, like PayPal, Google Checkout allows anyone to simply pay by debit or credit card without having an account.

Having an account simply speeds up the process as your address and card details are stored after your first purchase.

philipjohn

philipjohn Applicant

Baddum tish! ;)

gavint

gavint Applicant

We've been using Protx and a Barclaycard merchant account since we started up, but Google Checkout seems to be a good option for low volumes. It also depends on your industry and what your clients accept - when we started out PayPal and Worldpay were the only realistic other options and Worldpay were too expensive and kept the card details and PayPal kept the card details and left an unprofessional image.

Gavin

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

I never liked Worldpay - i used to use them about 6-7 years ago when I ran a domain registration company (I sold it as it was too much hassle!) and Worldpay were constantly getting things wrong and allowing fraudulent transactions through, then clawing the money back.

i think Paypal is getting over the stigma it has had, and Google Checkout has the google name behind it so has a bit of a start. I use Checkout and Paypal as of a few weeks ago, so will have to keep an eye on it and see which one people use most.

Dan Knowlson

Dan Knowlson Freshman

I went with Paypal originally as I'd been using it personally for yrs. But have started the process of getting Google Checkout and possibly NoChex too, in place simply to give people as many options as they want. After all different potential customers have different preferences on how they like to pay.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

Re Google as a payment

Do you have to pay a joining fee?

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

No joining fee for Google Checkout or Paypal as I recall.

ping

ping Senior Lab Tech

PayPal definitely not. Can't realy see Google Checkout catching on to be honest. What is the user base now?

chillfire

chillfire Trainee Lab Tech

I have set up sites with PROTX, Paypal, Google checkout and HSBC e-payments.

The HSBC is a full on merchant account, there is a lot of code that needs to be added to the site to make it all work, the documentation is good, but there are pages and pages of it. You have to be able to host HTTPS certificates on your site for this to be viable.
    I have looked into Lloyds and Natwest FastPay but both seemed difficult to talk the banks about as my clients volume were too low.

PROTX is a merchant account as well albeit smaller (you can have multiple currencies too), you add their code to your site and the details are passed to them for processing, no HTTPS certificate is needed here though.

Google and Paypal are for great, they require little technical knowledge and can be implemented pretty easily.

If you are after a quick and easy setup go for Google (I am personally going away from Paypal because unless the person paying ahs signed up for the instant payment option it can take days and days for the payment to clear).

If you do go down the google route, remember to have a look at Froogleand/or google base - add your products in there as well!

PLEASE NOTE: There are some downloadable stores available that store the card details within the store itself, this is okay if you aer 100% sure the data is safe and no one can access it, if you are going to host your store on a shared server or on a PC in your house, be careful, you have no control over the server access to your (and your clients data).
    Make sure the host (or your own interent connection) has a standalone firewall installed and the data in the Database is encrypted.

Sorry for the scary moment, but a guy I met a few months ago got hacked :cry:

The BBC article: BBC - London - TV - Is the Internet a fraudster's paradise?

Using merchant sites (google and paypal included) means you are not storing credit cards details so your store will be less of a target.

cheers,
    craig