1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Is an apprenticeship a good way to come up with a business idea

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Ferat Arikan, Jun 10, 2015.

Ferat Arikan

Ferat Arikan Applicant

Is an apprenticeship a good way to come up with a business idea

Toastking

Toastking Trainee Lab Tech

It could be, it would be one of those things where the question could be answered with a hundred questions.

It depends...

You are not going to know whether or not that particular apprenticeship is likely to help you reach an idea until you do it. Often the experiences in your life (and so working life) will dictate the projects you want to, or have the capacity to, work on as a business.

So if the choice is unemployed or apprenticeship, then yes it could be your best approach. If you are deciding between study and an apprenticeship then the success or failure will be down to you and your choices on each side. If you are choosing between an apprenticeship and a standard job, there is no way to tell until you've done both jobs and even then you never know what will come up.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure I actually get the meaning of the question - (perhaps I'm just being dense today) but an educated guess my answer would be

I'd probably say that some of the more forward thinking companies offer apprenticeships these days, which can make it easier to get your foot in the door, and experience their ways of working which could inspire you to come up with ideas.

mrs orangetree

mrs orangetree The real Mrs O

I'd guess that it would rarely be so on its own. I wouldn't rule it out but I wouldn't expect it.

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

I think my experience of apprenticeships is somewhat less positive than some of the replies above seem to imply. The quality of the schemes I have seen is low. Some (many) of the providers are just scamming the government for money and, in reality, starting few if any on a good career.

There are some exceptions. But I get phone calls daily from agencies telling me how cheaply I can employ a young person if I do one of their schemes. I prefer to pay the proper rate, and select top quality candidates myself.

So my answer would be an unmitigated no.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I think you are 100% correct about most apprenticeships these days Paul.
    We are not averse to taking apprentices, and we have three full time staff now who started as apprentices.
    However, trying to find the right apprentice is like a full time job in itself! The amount of calls we get from tin pot companies trying to get us to join a scheme where we will be paid to take an apprentice is unreal.

Trying to get them to understand that getting £1500 is all well and good but unless they can place the right person it will cost me twice that and more to begin training them.

Swedish Meatballs

Swedish Meatballs Applicant

Most definitley not

Whitedesk

Whitedesk Freshman

I think so, it can give you inspiration on what business you might want to start.