1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

HR influence on disciplinary hearing

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by logongra, May 27, 2017.

logongra

logongra Applicant

Is it usual for HR to make a manager aware and to influence a managers decision to discipline a member of staff?

I have just been disciplined for poor performance in my work, it was a written warning and I’ve been put on a performance improvement plan. I’ll admit that I could have done better with some issues, I will learn from them and I’m confident I can show good improvement so I’m not considering appealing.

However I do feel somewhat aggrieved as my manager told me that she was originally just looking at a more encouraging advisory approach rather than going through a discipline procedure. She told me that she took the decision to discipline me after consulting with the HR girl who attended the disciplinary meeting.

This is the first time I have been disciplined and the HR girl who seems to have had a strong influence on my manager disciplining me was very young. I t did at first cross my mind that this might be the first disciplinary meeting she has attended and wanted to make her mark.

Though on further reflection, she may well be aware that other staff in the company have been disciplined for similar issues and she would have needed to advise my manager of this to ensure fairness and that I should be disciplined. Has the HR girl just done what she felt was the correct action to take?

jeffnev

jeffnev Graduate

If you feel the criticism and ultimately, the disciplinary are merited then I wouldn't feel too aggrieved. Of course, that's easier for me to say than you to hear. You may well be right, but I'd give her the benefit of the doubt -that her seasoned professional opinion led to this particular outcome. It's great that you feel you can improve, keep that mindset up, it will take you far.

logongra

logongra Applicant

Thank you for replying and for your positive comments. I was quite hurtful to be disciplined, but I have put it behind me and my improvement plan is going very well and my manager has told me she pleased with this. Maybe I will sometime feel that it was actually not a bad thing for her to discipline me!