1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

How to go about developing an idea/invention?

Discussion in 'Invention & Creative' started by geek84, Mar 8, 2015.

geek84

geek84 Freshman

Hi Folks

I have an idea for an invention but not sure if it is possible in reality. i.e. A lot of us might like the invention of cars which can fly like aeroplanes, but at present it is not possible.

So, my question is,how do I find out if my idea/invention can work in practice and how can I find out if that idea is already patented?

I have heard of the website espacenet which has a lot of info regarding patents, is this the best website to go to in order to find out if the idea's already patented?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

geek84

geek84 Freshman

Thanks Duncan

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

You could also just try Googling different search terms based around how people might search the product if they were looking to buy.. It could be somebody has tried and not gone forwards because there is a case that it wouldn't work etc. You might also come across forum pages where people have discussed ideas and issues.

Simply Business

Simply Business Freshman

Hi @geek84, presumably you need to know that your invention is a possibility (as you mentioned, flying cars unfortunately aren't), whether manufacturing it would be possible for a reasonable cost, and a bit of market research on whether there's a demand for your product and whether anyone would buy it :)

Hope that helps!

Bonds John

Bonds John Freshman

Are you working on this idea?

epat

epat Freshman

What do you mean by work in practice?
    Do you mean is it actually possible to make?
    Do you mean if it can be made it is safe to use?
    Do you mean if it can be made and is safe to use it will be affordable?
    Do you mean if it can be made and is safe to use and affordable then will it be something people will buy?
    Or are you after patenting an idea that is not currently possible but could be in the future?

geek84

geek84 Freshman

by work in practice, I mean ... is it actually possible to make?

Ben@ThinkFeasible

Ben@ThinkFeasible Applicant

I hate to sound like i'm touting for business but the problem you have is exactly what we as a business attempt to solve (ThinkFeasible ltd)
    I'd be more than happy to talk you through what we would recommend to clients, over Skype etc.
    Otherwise there are some great resources to lead you through the process of getting an idea developed into a potential product/ business, look on Amazon for, The mom test, and Lean Startups. both those books are really useful and easy to read.

sin123

sin123 Freshman

Hi,
    Google the implementation effect of your idea and information about your idea.try to implement it.

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

And once you've got it, don't forget to legally protect it yourself!