1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

How many Twitter profiles do you think a brand needs?

Discussion in 'SEO, Social Media & Web Marketing' started by Maevla, Jan 3, 2015.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

We currently have two Twitters, one is used for all aspects of the business, the other is used to cater specifically for one area of the business and is pitched at different end users, so both accounts have mostly different followers.

We thought this was a good idea to begin with, but now aren't so sure, as I now think it might be beneficial to downsize to one account and put it all under one twitter umbrella. It's time consuming to run two accounts, along with Facebook, Google+ and Linked IN.

Do you guys have multiple Twitter accounts or just the one and what do you think?

Optimise-u

Optimise-u Graduate

One is so much easier to keep updated but I am currently just a blog - soon to be sole trader. It really depends and you know your business best but the fact you are creating this thread says to me that running multiple twitters probably has, for you, more negatives than positives.

Now you have the issue on how you can minimise losing followers. I would suggest choosing your umbrella account and starting a campaign of frequent posts relevantly themed to the smaller audience that you might risk losing from your secondary account. Then on the smaller account you can suggest that they follow your other page to get this 'unique content'.

Maevla

Good point Optimise - I hadn't got to thinking that far, but it does take a lot of time keeping up to two when I do think we wouldn't lose out if we combined the two through a properly planned stage.

Optimise-u

Optimise-u Graduate

I haven't put too much effort into follower acquisition I have been focusing on building content for my website first. In my experience twitter is the fastest moving social network but I have found in managing other's sites and my own that followers aren't too loyal unless you really are filling a niche. You may have trouble telling your followers to like your other page.

What is it your business does out of curiosity?

Sitestillup

Sitestillup Freshman

Depends on the size and nature of the business. A big retailer may have many, same with a software company (Sales, Support etc)

Geri Karakasheva

Geri Karakasheva Freshman Premium Member

Hi Maev,

IMO one profile is much better, because:
    1. Twitter authority is important ranking factor these days and with 2 accounts, your is divided into 2.
    2. It is much easier to manage only 1 account.

Maevla likes this.
    Optimise-u

Optimise-u Graduate

Yeah spot on with twitter authority. Unless you really think you will acquire more followers by splitting your businesses it isn't worth it so I took from you making this thread that you don't feel that?

Maevla

We are quite diverse, IT hardware, Software Distribution, Data Destruction and Asset management. Everything ties in together as a business model, not separate entities, so it might not be too difficult to move some followers, although I certainly don't expect everyone to move. One account has considerably more followers than the other, and interestingly enough, its the more generic account, and locally it has led to us become much better known. I don't tend to use it as sales tool, but as PR tool.

Optimise-u

Optimise-u Graduate

If everything all links up I would go for it - but as I said just slowly taper off tweeting with one of your accounts and give followers incentive to follow your other account. You will wind up making more posts but as Geri pointed out you will have far more authority.

Here's a general twitter tip - shorter tweets seem to have higher authority which makes sense as they are more targeted, and you want to appear on for as many of your followers as possible if you are changing/merging accounts.

Any questions just ask.

Maevla

Thanks Optimise, I will start tapering off and see what happens

SophieEvans

SophieEvans Sophie Evans

I think you have to move with only one account which will become easy to handle and optimize. Also if you are working as a BRAND, then you can start some contest or PAID promotion as well which will surely help you to get better attention.

Maevla likes this.
    Beat15

Beat15 Applicant

One should be sufficient in order to promote your business. But as you know it's not always a good thing to put all your eggs in one basket, so actively working on two accounts would not be a problem. Although, two accounts can be time consuming to run them, but it gives you the opportunity to follow more people on a daily basis.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

E-Liquid UK Store

E-Liquid UK Store Applicant

One is more than good enough for the majority of businesses, unless of course they're huge corporations and require a split for support etc.

A good example of a company that uses multiple channels well is Mashable. They do a great job.

Maevla likes this.
    Maevla

Think we have a way to go to reach those dizzy heights :)

Collaboration

Collaboration Collaboration is working with others to do a task.

One twitter account is used for one business but you have to keep updated it .

The Packaging Site

The Packaging Site High Quality Packaging Solutions

really depends on the size of your company!

madenza

madenza Applicant

Depends on how hard you are willing to use Twitter. You are limited to 2000 tweets a day, so easy to run out of tweets if you are using the RT API for instance. If you have multiple niche elements of a business you can taper a twitter account for every niche to keep delivering unique content. Manually connecting doesn't need to be the only management approach to twitter accounts, so it is possible to manage multiple accounts using tweetdeck for instance.

I am working on 4 frameworks at the moment & use 3 twitter accounts per niche. But every challenge has its own approach. Don't think there is a single definitive answer.

Maevla

We decided to stop tweeting on one account, but move the tweets we would have had to the main account and tweet them there in conjunction with the others.
    It's worked well I think because we gain new followers every day, we are re-tweeted quite a lot, and we interact one on one with many more people through direct tweets or messages, and this then brings business. We have found it's a useful networking tool, now that we aren't just tweeting for the sake of tweeting.

madenza

madenza Applicant

Further my above comment I am making a networking frame for North Wales, UK. I will use just over 40 Twitter accounts to mash the framework together. There are no specific rules on how many accounts is best. Every project is different & requires a unoque approach. Not one size for all answers :)