1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Glad That's Over

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by Duncan, May 8, 2015.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

So the election outcome was pretty much as expected.

Next up politicians and journalists start endless speculation about the EU Referendum and David Cameron's successor.

Toastking likes this.
    mrs orangetree

mrs orangetree The real Mrs O

I'm glad its over too! Tedious.

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

I watched the exit poll results and the fact that they were based upon 22,000 voters and thought "what a load of balls" - boy was I wrong? They've got this off to a fine art haven't they?

On the subject of Balls- - haha there IS a god....

Duncan

.......I find it strangely reassuring that the political scientists, pollsters, statisticians, journalists et al unanimously forecasting a hung parliament were SO wrong. They should get some help from the climate change scientists because they know about accurate forecasting over the long term.o_O

I had expected to see the Tories propped up by the Liberals again because the consensus seems to be that bland coalitions are ok and I'm delighted that the Tories only have a marginal win as hopefully they will stay bland!

Plaid Cymru and Yorkshire First need to raise their game to match the SNP and I look forward to reverting to the seven kingdoms of the seventh century over the next few decades.

http://www.timeref.com/maps/maps/england_C7.jpg

Employment Law Clinic

Employment Law Clinic Graduate

You weren't alone in that thinking, Jon. I was reading Nate Silver (of 538, an infamous American pollster for his accuracy), and even he doubted the exit polls - as did we all.

Very surprising, but fascinating night to watch politics. SMEs can at least rest easy that there won't be any relaxation of employment tribunal fees or qualifying periods (except perhaps north of the border, subject to devolution).

Karl Limpert

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

I have said this elsewhere, but my view is that Ed Balls was the real problem for Labour - more so than Ed Miliband. As a duet, they were locked in the past of class warfare and slagging off successful people.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I was surprised the the Lib Dems took such a massive hit and Nate Silver was being quoted all Twitter, not usually so wrong it seems.

A well played game by Nicola Sturgeon saw her wipe out Labour in Scotland and caused them issues in England because she was a more credible speaker than Ed Miliband.
    Ed Miliband - stabbed your brother in the back so what goes around comes around?

Let's see if the Labour old guard go for appointing Yvette Cooper, which would be their next major problem.
    As an SME, I'm 100% glad the Tories are back in power.

BarneyBlue23

BarneyBlue23 Trainee Lab Tech

I agree with Maev, def glad Labour didn't get in as a business person.
    I see Nigel's resignation hasn't been accepted...

Nny

Nny Freshman

It's funny coming on here and seeing people happy about the Tories being in. I get it, if you have a business - it's just that the vast majority of my friends don't, and are mostly preoccupied with the imminent loss of the NHS, increasing homelessness, the equalities minister being someone who voted against gay marriage, our friends on ESA and disability support...it's pretty terrifying.

I was a mess the day of elections and after - I had to calm myself with a weekend of media blackouts, wine and TV

HFE Signs

HFE Signs Signs, Banners, Flags & Digital Print Premium Member

You're not kidding, we can see real news again!

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

The answer lies in your question. We are business people. Labour are not a party that supports business, or business people. For me, if I can run my business, I keep some people employed, including myself. That, in a small way, alleviates some of the above.

As to some of the scare stories, we don't believe them. My view is that the NHS will function better under Tories. Locally, improvements in the last 5 years have been tangible - although I am, of course, aware that this is not universal across all NHS trusts. That is because the NHS problem is not funding, it is management.

As to the dismantling of benefits - Labour started that process.

As a business person, there is an important principle from which I will never waiver. No much how much I might want something, if I cannot afford it, I have to go without it.

For that reason, although I am not a Tory voter, nor am I blind to some big errors they have made, I could not support Ed Balls as Chancellor. I believe that he would have reduced the economy to ruins, which would have meant far more cuts than we are now faced with.

Toastking likes this.
    Duncan

I don't vote because because I think democracy as run in Britain is like a 'Reality TV Show' in as much as it has minimal connection to Reality but allows some mindless entertainment when I don't feel like engaging my brain.

The origin of a constituency based representatives made sense but the creation of alliances leading to party politics destroyed that sense and today elections are as anachronistic as the paper based voting system that underpins them. So old skool.

As a business person but also a real person (we love our labels don't we?) I have lived through left wing politics of the 70s when like Greece today, Britain was rescue by the IMF, right wing politics when we had massive unemployment and the poor weren't even allowed to keep their dignity and the bland centre policies of recent years where 'New Labour' and 'Caring Conservatives' have become indistinguishable.

Throughout that time Thatcher was the only individual who made a difference (better for most - although there should be a two term limit on any leader) the predecessors were weak people and the following leaders were Thatcher wannabees who didn't quite make it.

My conclusion is that the world grinds on irrespective of who is in power and the people who post on here can have more impact on the world than a parliament full of MPs.

mrs orangetree likes this.
    Nny

Nny Freshman

This might be my cold talking but this forum makes me feel like I'm in Bizarro World most of the time!

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

[

My conclusion is that the world grinds on irrespective of who is in power and the people who post on here can have more impact on the world than a parliament full of MPs.[/QUOTE]

This is true, of course. In the years I have been in business we have had politicians of both parties, and the world has, indeed, ground on! And, of course, both parties have a difficult job - balancing the increasing demands of an expectant population with the reality of how much money there really is. My main demand of them is that they do understand that reality, and do not spend money that we do not have, however desirable the cause. Neither party seems fully to understand that at present.

mrs orangetree

mrs orangetree The real Mrs O

This is pretty much the reason I also decline my vote.

Bizal

Bizal Freshman

I'm just glad that UKIP didn't get in this time around - after the infighting straight after, can you imagine what it woudl have been like had they actually got anywhere!

Duncan

1950 26
    1951 26
    1952 26
    1953 26
    1954 27
    1955 27
    1956 27
    1957 27
    1958 27
    1959 27
    1960 28
    1961 28
    1962 29
    1963 30
    1964 30
    1965 30
    1966 31
    1967 32
    1968 34
    1969 34
    1970 33
    1971 33
    1972 36
    1973 37
    1974 40
    1975 52
    1976 65
    1977 74
    1978 80
    1979 89
    1980 98
    1981 114
    1982 125
    1983 133
    1984 144
    1985 157
    1986 163
    1987 168
    1988 167
    1989 154
    1990 152
    1991 151
    1992 166
    1993 202
    1994 250
    1995 290
    1996 322
    1997 347
    1998 359
    1999 358
    2000 345
    2001 316
    2002 323
    2003 355
    2004 394
    2005 448
    2006 490
    2007 527
    2008 558
    2009 724
    2010 956
    2011 1101
    2012 1191
    2013 1299
    2014 1402
    2015 1355
    2016 1439

Duncan

In light of Paul's comment about 'living within one's means' - a view I wholeheartedly agree with. Britain has never lived within her means - we have data going back to the 17th century when decent records began. The last sixty six years are posted above. 2015 and 2016 are forecasts.

Almost every year the government of the day spends more than it raises. It can do this because the population and it's wealth rise over time. So in short live today and your children and grandchildren will pay tomorrow.

This is never explained clearly.

Today's article a case in point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32841016

Apparently spending £6.8bn more than you raise in tax in a month is good news!

I have no children so this works for me but never quite sure how a parent like Dave Cameron squares it with his apparent family friendly approach?

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

The problem is, of course, that the population would not vote for a government that actually lived within its means.

The truth about what we can really afford is rather gloomy. At some point, reality will have to come home to roost of course. And our children will find that means they can afford very little in the way of an NHS. And schools. And benefits.

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

What is also significant about the figures Duncan has quoted above is the extent to which Thatcher did not even begin to reverse the spend today let your kids pay culture. Indeed, she fueled it. Despite selling off the nations assets. Where did the money go Thatcher?