1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Franchise branches not allowed their own website

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by DesignsOnline.co.uk, Dec 18, 2013.

DesignsOnline.co.uk

DesignsOnline.co.uk Graduate

Ive spoken to a couple of local franchises in Southend on Sea Town center that are struggling and would love their own website. But the main franchise owners say they are not allowed one.

In one case in particular it is an unknown brand in this country and is mainly in America, the main website is an American website, with a tiny mention of this UK branch tucked away under the locations page. They would like to be able to take bookings and offer parties and special offers etc on their own website, but they don't come up at all due to the main company being in America.

The only solution I can see would be to have an "independent" blog site made "About" their company and try to optimise and market that, I don't know how they would stand as a franchise if they did that?

Any thoughts?

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

This kind of restriction is far from unusual in the world of franchising - especially franchises rooted in the States.

They will be fairly strong on enforcing it, too, so any attempt to circumnavigate by a blog ought really to be cleared first.

My approach would be to try and get a contact in the franchise HQ.....

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

You took the words out of my mouth Paul. Unfortunately our friend has a problem with cold calling :)

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

You have a better memory than I!!

Cold calling - vital!

mattylad

mattylad Applicant

I have a friend who has a franchise with drain doctor... they are not allowed their own website... Or their to run their own google adwords campaign... They MUST advertise in the yellow pages, they MUST surrender 15% of their turnover, and if they are to generate business from google, they have to pay £15 per LEAD, not per job, per LEAD from drain doctor H/O....

Daylight robbery

captaincloser

captaincloser View from the Crow's nest

Daylight robbery was originally a reference to a tax on windows in the 17th and 18th centuries. The government taxed you on how many windows you had and that was where blocking of windows started and you can still see many blocked windows in old houses. That's a bit of history for you. They called it daylight robbery

Franchising unless you are in at the Macdonalds end is a complete mugs game and the head offices spend their lives churning franchisees. And making huge sums as one goes out the back door and a new mug comes through the front. Invariably there is one winner and you the franchisee are the employee no matter how the contract looks. Your job is to enrich the franchiser.truly a mugs game and another form of daylight robbery. I agree.

MCSFranchise

MCSFranchise Applicant

I understand why franchisors don't want franchisee's to have there own websites as this could result on 100 plus different websites all advertising the same service and the same company thus being very confusing to anyone looking to use there sevice.

Franchise Engineer

Franchise Engineer Applicant

MSC Franchise is absolutely right. Also, just wanted to say that I disagree with Captaincloser - I don't think it is a mugs game at all.

MikeyBW

MikeyBW Applicant

Get them a Google My Business Local listing. This can have their address and phone number attached to it and will more often than not come up for searches near them that are relevant 'e.g. plumbers in London.' If they get active and start putting good content on there it can be used as a website of sorts. I can't see how the US office could have an issue with that but then again I don't know.

Callum Short

Callum Short Applicant

For localised search rankings, it is crucial that each individual location is optimised for their geographical area in order to accommodate the 94% of people who use search for local business.

I think that the problem is there isn't really many solutions out there currently. This will however change, I'm personally working on a platform for franchisers that can provide a grounds for franchise micro-sites. I'm the owner of a UK franchise directory: https://uk-franchise.co.uk so you can head there if you want to stay updated.

Let me know if you'd like to discuss this further.