1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Facebook to buy WhatsApp for $19bn

Discussion in 'Facebook Users' started by Mad Lab Rat, Feb 19, 2014.

Mad Lab Rat

Mad Lab Rat Mad Lab Rat

Eina26 likes this.
    Adam H

Adam H Have a Break, Have a KitKat

Good acquisition regardless of whether they cant monetize it and it earns didly squat, Facebooks Scope of user base of their own along with WhatsApp, Instagram and possibly a service such as SnapChat in the running is just another step to stop "facebook from dying" ( as mentioned in another thread ) , it wont die.......it will evolve into something else.

Most of these large acquisitions are purchases for the technology used behind the platform, trademarks and patents let alone the marketing scope of that many opt-in users.

I honestly cant see why so many people are calling it a stupid buy. Its a cool and calculated purchase much like Microsofts call for Skype and Google purchase of Youtube, all were slated but all were amazing purchases milestones for each company.

KevJaques and ISS like this.
    ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

Never ceases to amaze me how people seem to think their opinion of a buy like this measures up to the opinions of the people who have actually MADE the money to spend it in the first place.

KevJaques and Adam H like this.
    Adam H

haha exactly , its almost as if people think businesses just dive into big purchases or changes with out having a viable reasoning, months of research and discussions.

I highly doubt this morning they've woken up thinking "well that escalated quickly" what on earth have we done.

KevJaques

KevJaques Senior Lab Tech Premium Member

Although they have also probably avoided paying top whack corporation tax in order to amass that kind of wealth lol ;) :lol:

ISS

Hey some States in the US don't charge corporation tax for companies that have their head offices there.

Their attitude is that these companies provide work for thousands of people, invigorate the economy, and inject wealth and commerce directly into their communities. If a company is providing work for thousands of people that's seen as enough of a contribution.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

If you can't beat them / buy them. I just hope the kids don't realise the cool apps are now owned by the old fogey brand. Still there are plenty of petrol heads unaware their fantasy cars come from the same stable as SEAT and Skoda! ;0)

leemason

leemason Senior Lab Tech

What's the betting they won't know how to capitalise on it and will sell if for $300m in 4 years time?

Adam H

You mean doing a Myspace when they got brought out and then sold it for like 60k or something stupid lol

EDIT, wasnt 60k or anywhere near lol. My bad.......it was significantly less than what it was purchased for a couple of years before from 580million sale to a couple of years later selling for 35mill.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
    Duncan

According to the press the process took 12 days. Smacks of desperation. Jobs turned out to be lucky and talented. Zuckerberg has been lucky so far, the next twenty years will determine whether he is more than a one hit wonder. I wish him well. Being burdened with such wealth, success and expectation at such an early age has its downsides.

KevJaques

KevJaques Senior Lab Tech Premium Member

Oh yea, I can see that point of view too, it's just that our government expects small businesses to pay top whack and it's those small businesses that could do with not having to give that well earned money away to a chancellor who thinks it's right to give tax payers money away and couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag lol :rolleyes::lol::mad:

ISS

I would agree although I can read the irony in your post :)

I would be very happy being a one hit wonder like this guy. You could call me every name that equates to one hit wonder as often and as cruelly as you liked and I still wouldn't give a flying fig :>-D:

Toastking, leemason and Adam H like this.
    hostsurfuk

hostsurfuk Graduate

silly amount of money.

enough said!

Duncan

Me too lol. I suppose it's the fact we are well balanced and less ambitious that means we will never be as rich and famous as Zuckerberg or Jobs. On the other hand we are still here Jobs isn't, so success can be defined in many different ways.

ISS

We might be a lot of things but I think (or hope) that we are all free of the ridiculous envy that pervades people in this country these days.

Duncan

Ageed. Too often it is conflated with aspiration.

Uwe (Invoiceberry)

Uwe (Invoiceberry) Graduate

I personally stopped discussing these kind of things with people because it's just sooooo frustrating what some people are saying...

People who clearly are not working in the online/internet/technology space start talking about Snapchat not talking a multi-billion dollar offer or Facebook buying Whatsapp for $19 billion. Because the main media and news started mentioning these companies everyone thinks that they are some kind of expert.

I don't mean anyone on this forum, just mainly mean personal contacts and Facebook friends who start silly discussions. I don't know if anyone here has experienced this discussion on Facebook yet, but lots of my FB friends now want to stop using Whatsapp and move to another messenger app...Why? Because Whatsapp is now owned by FB. Where do they proclaim the change of their messenger app? Right, on FB!