1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Employee training plans

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Toni Rose, Jun 15, 2015.

Toni Rose

Toni Rose Graduate

Hi all,

Up until recently we were using a training matrix and individual training records for each member of our staff to record and plan company training. I felt it was getting to a point where the matrix and the plans were turning into a useless paper exercise and more often than not team leaders and managers were just keeping them updated after training had taken place.

I'd now like to put something in place that's a little bit more simple and more of a visual aid that can be displayed in our staff room for everybody to see.

Has anybody got any ideas of something we can use?

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

When they complete their annual self review they should set out what training they have undertaken and what they have planned for the next year. If they need support with this exercise they can obtain it from their boss / the HR team. If HR read the reviews (which they should) they can develop/buy training to meet demand and consolidate data to get a company wide picture.

If they are to be nannied - then sew a badge on their sleeve when they have attended a course. It worked for Baden Powell.:happy:

Once people have learned that a restless cat is not an acceptable excuse for advising that you will be turning up to work late they can learn why the word 'self' was put in to 'self' development'!

My recollection is people's approach to training fell into three broad categories;

An investment my employer is making in me which will mean I can earn more here or elsewhere - I'll take as much as I can.

Waste of time, I'd rather get on with my job but I'll play along, because the boss wants us to impress the girl he fancies in HR.

Waste of time and I will do all I can to avoid doing it because I like to rebel against my employer/boss as and when I can as I enjoy the power struggle.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

We have stopped using annual appraisals and PDP's as I think employees thought of it as a periodic review in which they were automatically entitled to a pay rise.

We use instead a more informal approaches such as ten minute reviews, that can be where a team leader has picked up on somebody doing something the wrong way or not working fast enough, or pointing out a job well done, in which they can then be nominated for employee of the month.

We found that if you wait until the annual review - or sometimes even the quarterly review, to bring something up, it's already well forgotten about.

Our informal approach I believe is working much better, it focuses people more and it helps the employees understand better how their manager wants them to work, in the here and now.

We came to this decision as we always try to stay away from being too corporate, and thought - hang on, isn't that just what an appraisal is - too corporate?

The ten minute reviews are documented, and take literally ten mins, can be done on the warehouse floor or in the office, and can be followed up if needed, and training is planned to coincide with *tool box* talks that we devise ourselves.

Silverisametal likes this.
    Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

We too have 10 minute reviews as and when required, which gives us the opportunity to sit down with our line manager to discuss current opportunities, past opportunities, and business in general.

Any issues can be raised within this time, and it's also a good opportunity to blow off any steam :)

No need to sit down for a few hours and discuss pointless topics, where you can clear the air within 10 minutes as and when required.

jhonn23

jhonn23 Applicant

Hi all
    Welcome to the forum.

jaidadi@123

jaidadi@123 Applicant

Training should be provide in such a way so that both, company as well as employee get benefit from it.