1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Effective Social Bookmark sites

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Journey, Jan 20, 2009.

Journey

Journey Freshman

What are those social bookmarking sites that you find effective for your site's promotion?

hashim likes this.
    NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

For me and my clients

Stumbleupon
    Digg
    Social Median
    Twine
    Sphinn

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

Not Twitter then? :eek: :)

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

:)

I wouldn't class Twitter as a Social Bookmarking site :cop:

Journey

Journey Freshman

Twitter is a Social Networking Site.

brandmantra

brandmantra Freshman

Stumbleupon
    Digg
    spurl.
    propeller

Journey

Journey Freshman

How much are their bounce rate?

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

It depends

It depends on the page / article / blog they're being sent to.

Stumbleupon has a higher bounce rate that Social Median in general, but that's partly because Social Median is a community as well as a bookmarking site.

Sphinn will send competitors to my site simply because they're the type of people who hang around there.

However, the conversion rate on my site (excluding the free report section) has stayed the same for the last 18 months, so when I get extra traffic from these places, I get extra leads and therefore extra business.

Journey

Journey Freshman

Nice response. I think social bookmark sites are really effective for increasing traffic provided that the title and description are eye-catchy and interesting. However, they may also increase your bounce rate because some visitors are just curious to explore the content but they are not really interested on your site's services..

gomziwms45

gomziwms45 Freshman

Ya, these are one of the most commonly used Bookmark Sites. I have used Digg, however, I haven't used the rest. But if they work like Digg, they are surely very easy to operate.

essex_courier

essex_courier Graduate

Just because you have bookmarked and shared a service, it doesn't mean the person you are sharing with is ready to 'buy' at that time.

I need a new van in 2010 for LEZ reasons, I have known that since 2007. I have looked at vans across various places for the last three years, seen what people have bookmarked and liked, but I am not ready to buy until next year. (No, please dont ring and offer your vans, I am still not buying)

I think of social bookmarking as an increasing visibility tool. When people are ready to buy they normally ask the question on twitter or do a live search on twitter. If you feed your bookmarks into twitter, you should in theory be in the top 20 tweets, whereas the top 10 of google can be a lot tougher.

ExtraPairofHands

ExtraPairofHands Applicant

A link submitted to Reddit.com (and then by others to Hacker News, Delicious etc) brought our website an initial spike of approx 20,000 hits; and then a steady trickle ever since. Google "email address length" and our FAQ will be near/at the top.

And there lies the strength of using "linkbait" for your website.

James

That Guy

That Guy Freshman

The only traffic I usually get from Social Bookmarking Sites are from Digg and StumbleUpon.

I have a Twitter account but not really seeing huge traffic from it.

nuwav

nuwav Applicant

I use Onlywire, Twitter, facebook and Youtube

William Debauchez

William Debauchez Freshman

Onlywire, Social Marker or Im Automator

SuperKarim

SuperKarim Freshman

Someone on my list tweeted an article on social bookmarking sites.

Firstly we all know that social bookmarking has lost almost all effect in terms of seo linkjuice these days 2008 was another story, but this method has been spammed and beaten to death so much that the effect has worn off completely.

Let's put that out in the air first.

Secondly, nearly 80% of social media traffic that comes to websites these days are through twitter and facebook, digg and stumbled upon have a small but sizeable percentage of the leftover 20%.. and if you have time why not subit it there.

I'm not sure how you can influence your facebook traffic, other than to have truly unique content that can go viral. But for the most part I think, twitter should be where you invest most of your attention to.

If you can get a high quality readership relevant to your area of expertise, it can help you out a tonne, simply tweeting good quality comments/links that get retweeted by your followers and spread virally.

cheaper accountant likes this.
    SuperKarim

SuperKarim Freshman

for facebook, at the very least have a fan page on there, and if you have good rankings on bing then facebook can help, because facebook uses bings search results on its web search.

Christiaan Harden

Christiaan Harden Freshman

These are definetily the best ones, plus Reddit probably. But if you're content isn't very interesting or have a reasonably broad appeal, it's probably a complete waste of time, so use it wisely.

goliveuk

goliveuk Applicant

Thank you all, for sharing these useful opinions. I will try some new social bookmark9ing websites just right now :)
    I am using
    Pingler, Digg and Stumble upon and ping.fm got social networks updates.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget you can instantly share your content here on hundreds of social bookmarking sites by clicking this:

[​IMG]

:tup: