1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

E-Commerce - downloadable products

Discussion in 'E-Commerce' started by Carmarthenshire, Dec 5, 2009.

Carmarthenshire

Carmarthenshire Applicant

Hello,
    I am looking into selling downloadable PDF's through my website, but am not sure which is the best direction to take.
    I have searched through the forums, but can't find an answer to my problem, I'm afraid.
    From the research I have done, there aren't too many good, secure options.
    One solution said I needed to have my hosting on a linux server to allow a secure solution whereby buyers would have a one-time, time-constrained downloadable link for the purchased PDF (could have been Mal's e-commerce or ZenCart) but my website is currently on a windows server with Fasthosts.
    It appears that a safe downloadable option isn't available to those hosting their website on a windows server ? (I naively don't know much about linux servers (and how it is different from windows servers) with my hosting company)
    Another possible solution is e-junkie, but does anyone in the UK use e-junkie ?

If anyone has any advice regarding the best solution, or options, it would be gratefully received, as I am a one-man-band with a limited (!) budget.

Many thanks to you for your time,
    Steve

3 MORE YEARS

3 MORE YEARS Graduate

I am no expert on this, but couln't ZenCart or something similar work?

Wana Bee

Wana Bee Graduate

zencart or magento would be good for this. They both have options for downloadable products... just make sure your server is hyper secure and get a https certificate and a dedicated ip.

matt.chatterley

matt.chatterley Web & Software Developer Premium Member

Hi Steve,

Several of the already available shopping cart solutions do support downloadable products - not sure if any of those will run on Windows, though.

I would point and grin at our own solution, but we haven't actually added support for "virtual" products yet (it's high on the new year development list, though).

Carmarthenshire

Carmarthenshire Applicant

I would like to say many thanks for your replies - it is very much appreciated.
    Scootek - thank you, Zen Cart is through Linux servers it appears, and I don't believe I can switch (I will contact Fasthosts though to find out)
    Wana Bee - great advice, thanks ! Those extra tips are valuable, will research them fully.
    Matt - I agree, and I'm surprised/bemused why there aren't more options for Windows !
    Thanks for your advice though - I hope your virtual products get developed soon !

In the meantime, I will do more research.
    Cheers !

matt.chatterley

matt.chatterley Web & Software Developer Premium Member

Cheers! Good luck with the research, and let us know what you find. We've got downloadables slated for Q2 at the moment, so we should be there pretty soon! :)

webhostuk

webhostuk Applicant

Yes Magento will work great :)

dreadman

dreadman Freshman

I am sure there are a few that will work on windows cubecart should work alternatively you could change your host from windows to linux/unix .

iboxsecurity

iboxsecurity Applicant

Hopefully the OP managed to soruce a solution, but just in case I'd add another vote for Magento - their support for virtual products works very well indeed and we have built sites for clients using just that and works great.

Best of luck.

paulfeakins

paulfeakins Graduate

I see this is a very old thread so it may have been before OpenCart became popular? OpenCart would do it nicely though.

Idosell

Idosell Applicant

Please check Idosell software at the moment best on market

Helen_45

Helen_45 Applicant

OpenCart can cope perfectly with the task. There are plenty of additional extensions to sell downloadable PDF's.

appkodes

appkodes Freshman

Try for a cart provider who actually inherits downloadable pdfs or virtual products. good luck

Abigail Edwen

Abigail Edwen Applicant

nice information....